X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Treestand View Post
    I think Mississippi have a better idea by using Single Barrel 12ga shotguns with "exposed hammer" NO Scope, Iron sight only & (2) slugs,instead of Black Power Muzzle loader, Safer in the long run & kills deer just as dead.
    I had the Marlin .444 years ago but only 240gr pistol bullets were available so I sold it. At this time I am putting together a Marlin 1895M .450 Marlin. The .450 operates at twice the pressures of the 45/70 and is about 300 to 350 fps faster for flatter trajectory. I am using one piece rings with integral base and a 1.5X to 4.5X Weaver steel tube scope. It will be loaded with Hornady flex tip 325gr bullets and IMR 4198 powder for almost 2,000fps. Should be a good 150 to 200yd rifle. I had one before and gave it to my Nephew because Ohio was shotgun only. There are rumors Ohio might allow bottle neck cartridges in the future. They should because there is no restrictions on calibers for hunting groundhogs - anything goes. Now, straight wall cartridges are legal.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    There have been, over the years, several reports of ML barrels splitting with black powder. I think one company had so many they went out of business or changed their name - can't remember exactly.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    I think Mississippi have a better idea by using Single Barrel 12ga shotguns with "exposed hammer" NO Scope, Iron sight only & (2) slugs,instead of Black Power Muzzle loader, Safer in the long run & kills deer just as dead.
    In Mississippi has lots of Country Poor People to ease the pain of buying a new/used muzzle loader the Gov. made it a Single Bbl Shotgun with slug only & only (2) Slugs in Possession, 1 Buck,1 Doe.

Leave a comment:

• Milldawg
    replied
    Single shot rifles in a straight wall cartridge. My buddy just bought a custom t/c in 35 Whalen.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    .458 Win Mag? Must be after some BIG deer!

Leave a comment:

• Clay Cooper
    started a topic The Savage Model ML10-11 Muzzle Loader

The Savage Model ML10-11 Muzzle Loader

I went and compared my loading data to the 458 Win Mag with IMR4198 and found out it's practically identical.

DO NOT USE SMOKELESS POWDER IN ANY MUZZLE LOADER UNLESS THE MANUFACTURER DESIGNATES IT AND STICK TO THE LOADS IN THE MANUAL OR TRUSTED SOURCES OR YOU HAVE A PIPE BOMB BLOWING UP IN YOUR FACE !

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad