Suggestion for muzzleloader scope.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    I can understand not wanting to drop the coin for a Leupold, but what hurts me worse is losing the trophy of a lifetime because of low quality optics.
    Have to buy a dishwasher ours went out. Christmas is coming. Just bought the wife 5k worth of living room furniture. It never ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
      I've never had any problems with Konus. It still holds zero after several years shooting .280rem. I really like the ocular lens. It's a large crisp picture. If I were to list a complaint, it's that the sucker isn't as bright as I would like. Of course, it's a few years newer than when the 275 came out.

So, forgive my ignorance about muzzleloaders, but don't you change the speed a little bit with each load? If you load loose or a combination of loose and disk doesn't it change the muzzle speed of the sabot? Or different faster powder? So wouldn't your holdover be different? I mean, I know gravity will drop it at the same rate, but your primary zero will be at a flatter trajectory, meaning your lower hash marks won't mean a lot; unless, you fine tune a load to the holdover hashes and are able to accurately repeat it every time. Konus is probably over selling that their hashes correspond with the most popular black powder loads. I can see it being alright with modern centerfire loads, but is black powder that repeatable? Or am I over thinking this?

Plus then the hashes are only ever "accurate" when zero'd on the magnification power you use to zero them, and changing the magnification with a SFP scope throws you off.

Burying the lead, Konus has a lifetime warranty on their scopes, if there's an issue can you send it back or are you fed up with it?

Oh yeah, Bushnell makes fine scopes you might want to look at Vortex, Nikon, or Alpen just to give yourself a reasonable range of comparison.
      I don’t get wrapped up with the hold over. I’m not shooting that far. I will test out to 150 with a 50 yard zero. And probably shoot deer about 50 yards. I

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        https://www.midwayusa.com/product/279297/konus-pro-275-muzzleloader-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-ballistic-reticle-matte

I personally would go for a 4X, but the konus 275 looks like a good buy - free shipping.

Why don't you contact them and see if they would replace the broken one ?
        Send it back with a note ASAP. Worst case is you have to buy a new scope, but your already doing that.

Comment

I haven’t used the black powder one, but I have a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 that used to be on my 270 and was very pleased with it

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
            I've never had any problems with Konus. It still holds zero after several years shooting .280rem. I really like the ocular lens. It's a large crisp picture. If I were to list a complaint, it's that the sucker isn't as bright as I would like. Of course, it's a few years newer than when the 275 came out.

So, forgive my ignorance about muzzleloaders, but don't you change the speed a little bit with each load? If you load loose or a combination of loose and disk doesn't it change the muzzle speed of the sabot? Or different faster powder? So wouldn't your holdover be different? I mean, I know gravity will drop it at the same rate, but your primary zero will be at a flatter trajectory, meaning your lower hash marks won't mean a lot; unless, you fine tune a load to the holdover hashes and are able to accurately repeat it every time. Konus is probably over selling that their hashes correspond with the most popular black powder loads. I can see it being alright with modern centerfire loads, but is black powder that repeatable? Or am I over thinking this?

Plus then the hashes are only ever "accurate" when zero'd on the magnification power you use to zero them, and changing the magnification with a SFP scope throws you off.

Burying the lead, Konus has a lifetime warranty on their scopes, if there's an issue can you send it back or are you fed up with it?

Oh yeah, Bushnell makes fine scopes you might want to look at Vortex, Nikon, or Alpen just to give yourself a reasonable range of comparison.
            Yeah in that case, a bdc scope probably isn't necessary, especially if you're pretty good at estimating distances already or have a rangefinder.

Comment

Decided against a bushnell. Going with a leupold or Nikon what ever basspro has in stock. My birthday is next week. So my wife is buying me one for my birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                Decided against a bushnell. Going with a leupold or Nikon what ever basspro has in stock. My birthday is next week. So my wife is buying me one for my birthday.
                There are some pretty decent glass with both brands in the value range. Don't be afraid to check out Vortex if you see it at Bass Pro. Also, be sure to check your paper or mail for coupons or rebates or their website will sometimes have a downloadable section..

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad