Suggestion for muzzleloader scope.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for muzzleloader scope.

When I got the stick sabot out the other day, after making my post while putting everything away. I managed to knock my muzzleloader over on to the tile floor it landed scope first. Sorry don’t trust a Konus. Has any one used the bushnell banner black powde scope 3-9x40. I’m not trying to shoot Lon distance it’s a muzzleloader. And I’m not dropping the coin for leupold for a rifle I use one maybe two weekends a year. The gun didn’t come with iron sights. Any suggestions comments input, thank you in advance. One last note the scope did fine until on 9x and then the eye relief went to crap. So the hold over recticle is useless on them. It’s konus 275 3-9x40. It came with the gun. I know bushnell are cheap but they do work. Sport for such a long note. Thank you.

I've never had any problems with Konus. It still holds zero after several years shooting .280rem. I really like the ocular lens. It's a large crisp picture. If I were to list a complaint, it's that the sucker isn't as bright as I would like. Of course, it's a few years newer than when the 275 came out.

So, forgive my ignorance about muzzleloaders, but don't you change the speed a little bit with each load? If you load loose or a combination of loose and disk doesn't it change the muzzle speed of the sabot? Or different faster powder? So wouldn't your holdover be different? I mean, I know gravity will drop it at the same rate, but your primary zero will be at a flatter trajectory, meaning your lower hash marks won't mean a lot; unless, you fine tune a load to the holdover hashes and are able to accurately repeat it every time. Konus is probably over selling that their hashes correspond with the most popular black powder loads. I can see it being alright with modern centerfire loads, but is black powder that repeatable? Or am I over thinking this?

Plus then the hashes are only ever "accurate" when zero'd on the magnification power you use to zero them, and changing the magnification with a SFP scope throws you off.

Burying the lead, Konus has a lifetime warranty on their scopes, if there's an issue can you send it back or are you fed up with it?

Oh yeah, Bushnell makes fine scopes you might want to look at Vortex, Nikon, or Alpen just to give yourself a reasonable range of comparison.

Comment

I have two Bushnell 2-7x32 Blk Power scopes they never fail me ever, your a 100+yd shooter. Cant go wrong with Bushnell.

Comment

I can understand not wanting to drop the coin for a Leupold, but what hurts me worse is losing the trophy of a lifetime because of low quality optics.

Comment

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/279297/konus-pro-275-muzzleloader-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-ballistic-reticle-matte

I personally would go for a 4X, but the konus 275 looks like a good buy - free shipping.

Why don't you contact them and see if they would replace the broken one ?

Comment

I use a 50 year old Redfield 3-9x40. I'm real happy with it. My inline shoots about 1" groups at 100 yards. I can certainly aim just fine on 3x with a nice wide field of view but I cranked it up to 9x on a 135 yard buck (hit the heart). Scopes like the Redfield, Prostaff, or Vortex Diamondback would all do well around the $200 price. I think it is worth it to pay just a little more for a solid scope... no plastic anywhere.

Comment

Nikon bdc shotgun/slug gun scope. I Put one on my 45/70. Designed for high arc (heavy) rounds and able to take the shock.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                I've never had any problems with Konus. It still holds zero after several years shooting .280rem. I really like the ocular lens. It's a large crisp picture. If I were to list a complaint, it's that the sucker isn't as bright as I would like. Of course, it's a few years newer than when the 275 came out.

So, forgive my ignorance about muzzleloaders, but don't you change the speed a little bit with each load? If you load loose or a combination of loose and disk doesn't it change the muzzle speed of the sabot? Or different faster powder? So wouldn't your holdover be different? I mean, I know gravity will drop it at the same rate, but your primary zero will be at a flatter trajectory, meaning your lower hash marks won't mean a lot; unless, you fine tune a load to the holdover hashes and are able to accurately repeat it every time. Konus is probably over selling that their hashes correspond with the most popular black powder loads. I can see it being alright with modern centerfire loads, but is black powder that repeatable? Or am I over thinking this?

Plus then the hashes are only ever "accurate" when zero'd on the magnification power you use to zero them, and changing the magnification with a SFP scope throws you off.

Burying the lead, Konus has a lifetime warranty on their scopes, if there's an issue can you send it back or are you fed up with it?

Oh yeah, Bushnell makes fine scopes you might want to look at Vortex, Nikon, or Alpen just to give yourself a reasonable range of comparison.
                I’m going to look at a Nikon Walmart has them in stock. I’m up against the wall for time wise. Work has me swamped. I’m going a week straight with no day off in sight.

Comment

I have a Nikon original Buckmasters scope,( not one of the new Buckmasters II's as far as I am concerned they are junk) 3x9x40 BDC on my muzzleloader. Natchez has them for about $114.00.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/279297/konus-pro-275-muzzleloader-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-ballistic-reticle-matte

I personally would go for a 4X, but the konus 275 looks like a good buy - free shipping.

Why don't you contact them and see if they would replace the broken one ?
                    Time crunch work and season fast approaching.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      I can understand not wanting to drop the coin for a Leupold, but what hurts me worse is losing the trophy of a lifetime because of low quality optics.
                      I agree but this year I have spent my play coin on other things.

Comment

The eye box on the konus goes to crap on 9x so the bdc is worthless to me. It may work for some folks just not me.

Comment

Been there!
                          Done that! LOL!
                          ...especially here lately!
                          Man am I ready for the shhh...tuff to calm down!

Comment

Lost the Pecan Orchard.
                            Place I'm hunting this year is twice as far from home.
                            Got a food plot put in and my blind set up.
                            Going through town this afternoon, I noticed diesel was up to 2.979/gal!
                            A longer drive and higher fuel?What else can go wrong?

Comment

You don't have to sight in your bdc at 9X. I would sight it at the power you plan to hunt with. I don't have that problem on mine, so you might want to get that back to the factory.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• What An Education
                                by jhjimbo
                                Anybody that watched Tucker Carlson tonight got a real education, on several fronts. What do you think?
                                Today, 08:58 PM
                              • Just Right
                                by jhjimbo
                                Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years in...
                                Today, 08:56 PM
                              • Reply to Just Right
                                by 99explorer
                                Do you have a link for that?
                                I never heard of a cartridge developed for concealed carry.
                                Today, 08:52 PM
                              • Just Right
                                by jhjimbo
                                Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                                Today, 04:59 PM
                              • Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                by labrador12
                                Brandon is the most corrupt President in history. Brandon's crackhead son has been the bagman for his 10%. The Crackhead son who failed to pay millions...
                                Today, 08:25 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X