I hate to ask but I gotta.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    I think you mentioned you got a Weatherby. Look on their web site for the recommended break in. It takes 30 rounds to do it completely, but the results are worth it. Close shots with a 25-06 will be devastating.
    I shoot for accuracy, my past time. I have several rifles that shoot 5 shots in one slightly enlarged hole at 100yds. I know, if you can hit a pie plate 3 out of 5 times at 100yd you are happy. To each his own.

Comment

My break in for new barrels works well for me:

First, heat the action and barrel using late-day sunlight from June 6th, filtered through the passenger-side window of a 1967 corvette. Engine size is inconsequential, of course, but chrome side exhaust is of utmost importance.

With the metal still hot, buff the barrel with a page taken from the book "Something of Value," by Robert Ruark.

Using a brass jag and Auerhahn feathers, clean the barrel using a peated Single malt whisky. (Make sure it is an Islay malt; none of those new-age peated Speysiders) Clean for exactly three minutes and 27 seconds. I do so to Gordon Lightfoot's "Minstral of the Dawn," which is exactly that length.

Rinse the barrel with a 50/50 solution of water and Hoppes Number 8. Not 9, but 8. It was only on the market for a few weeks, but it is absolutely necessary.

Dry the barrel by holding the rifle above your head (with the crown forward) while driving to the range on a 1978 Harley-Davidson Soft Tail.

Repeat this regimen after every five shots for the first week you have the rifle. I do this to every rifle, and they all shoot 0.1 MOA and are able to take game in the heart at 1000 yards every time, 60% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

First, heat the action and barrel using late-day sunlight from June 6th, filtered through the passenger-side window of a 1967 corvette. Engine size is inconsequential, of course, but chrome side exhaust is of utmost importance.

With the metal still hot, buff the barrel with a page taken from the book "Something of Value," by Robert Ruark.

Using a brass jag and Auerhahn feathers, clean the barrel using a peated Single malt whisky. (Make sure it is an Islay malt; none of those new-age peated Speysiders) Clean for exactly three minutes and 27 seconds. I do so to Gordon Lightfoot's "Minstral of the Dawn," which is exactly that length.

Rinse the barrel with a 50/50 solution of water and Hoppes Number 8. Not 9, but 8. It was only on the market for a few weeks, but it is absolutely necessary.

Dry the barrel by holding the rifle above your head (with the crown forward) while driving to the range on a 1978 Harley-Davidson Soft Tail.

Repeat this regimen after every five shots for the first week you have the rifle. I do this to every rifle, and they all shoot 0.1 MOA and are able to take game in the heart at 1000 yards every time, 60% of the time.
        I like the way you think Amflyer! Well done. If that doesn't get it shooting right, nothing will.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

It’ll shoot like a house afire. Just like the islay tastes after the fire is out....

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
            Don't think you will get any benefit out of fire X number of rounds, clean, fire X number of rounds, etc. as far as accuracy is concerned. I've done that, and also just zeroed a scope and commenced fire, and can't tell any difference either way.
            As to the SSTs, I say if it works, don't fix it! I shot five does last December with 117 gr. SSTs out of my .25-06, at ranges from 110 to 170 yds, and four out of five were bang-flop. One managed to make it about thirty yds. before laying down.
            Regarding the GMX, I did not have very good luck with their 95% copper bullets. Shot two does with my .243, about three seasons back, and one went down like a ton of bricks. The next one, I shot three times, knocked down, get up, knocked down, get up, knocked down, went to get her right away, and she ran off about 75-80 yds. before expiring. All three holes could have been covered by your hand, through the shoulder and right behind the shoulder. Went to recover the other deer, and she was gone. No blood, no sign, no nothing except scruff marks where she had laid down and kicked. Never did find her. Not a big fan of either the .243 or GMX copper bullets.
            Cram, that makes two of us Happy Trails

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hhs
              by 99explorer
              Does that include the presidential suite?
              Yesterday, 11:40 PM
            • Hhs
              by jhjimbo
              Hotels in CA have to give a list of empty rooms every day by 3PM so they can be given to a homeless person.
              Yesterday, 04:13 PM
            • Reply to FBI Raids Trumps Florida Home
              by 99explorer
              Remember to save the last round for yourself.
              Yesterday, 11:37 PM
            • FBI Raids Trumps Florida Home
              by rock rat
              Former US President Donald Trump has said his Florida home is being raided by the FBI.

Mr Trump said in a statement Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach...
              08-08-2022, 07:39 PM
            • Reply to AG Garland is a real low life!
              by 99explorer
              I have a strong feeling that we are not getting the whole story here.
              A man wearing a $360,000 wrist watch does not serve 20 years in prison for...
              Yesterday, 11:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X