Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought browning Abolt 3 300 win mag whats the best grain bullet for hunting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckshott00
    replied
    So I will answer in ranges. I strongly encourage you to find a round and a load that works best for your rifle.

Ranges:
    150-180gr whitetail sized game. Those Winchester Deer Season XP are super fun to shoot, smoking fast excellent expansion. See how they do in your rifle. I could shoot these all day

180-200gr Elk Sized Game. This is what I select for moose, elk, and tougher deer I hear Caribou are large but go down easy. I tend to go with Remington Core-lokt or Federal Premium. The Winchester Super X was just okay. I haven't tried Fusion with that rifle, but it works well in my .280rem. You will start to feel these.

200+ Bear / Dangerous Game. I haven't tried the 240gr as it is quite expensive. I hear nothing but good things though. If I was blessed enough to do a Brown Bear or Polar bear hunt I would use the 240gr. 200gr is a always something to consider when you're in bear country.

Have fun and enjoy your new purchase. I would definitely listen to WAM, Dakota's and Happy's Advice. With 160's in a .300win mag, you have serious velocity and take down power to spare. Have fun with On the Spot Drops!

Leave a comment:

• Recnyc
    replied
    Originally posted by Treestand View Post
    RECNYC, Just what part of New York State do you hunt in, I'm asking just as an Ex-New Yorker who grew up in NYS and worked in NYC.
    We hunt Deer and Turkey in Orange and Sullivan county and we hunt Bear in Greene county by the catskills...I live 15 minutes from the city and all I have to do is drive a hour and a half and I'm in the woods . A lot of people do a lot of hunting upstate ny

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    I always thought a 180gr was a well balanced bullet for a .30 caliber.
    Tree, my longest shots would not be more than 300yds, probably more like 100yds.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Recnyc View Post
    I have a tikka 270 which is my all around rifle I didnt want to get the 06 because the 270 and the 06 are very similar so i went the 300 win mag for larger game longer distances
    Recnyc, if you are interested in long distances, try the 210g Berger hunting bullets and Hornady ELDs. Use the one that shoots most accurately at the long ranges you desire. You can expect to get better mushrooming at the slower long distance ranges with the ELD but I shoot the Bergers because of better consistent accuracy in my rifle. I find the Bergers capable of shooting .7" three shot groups at 600 yards with a precision barrel. Since hitting them in the right spot is what really counts, that is my go-to bullet and it works. Of course these are tuned hand loads.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Its not me but Hornady With ELD = Exstream Low Drag out to 2,0020 yd So there is more {then 2gr Difference} It's the shape of the bullet and the new "No melt tip "
    Try a box on your 300 or 7rem-mag.

Leave a comment:

• Clay Cooper
    replied
    ken.mcloud said it best! “So, I think that the superior killing power of larger rounds is largely in our heads.(likely testosterone induced) A flat-shooting round that you can accurately place will produce as many if not more "bang-flop" kills as a heavy caliber round.”
    -
    On the other hand
    -
    "We have not heard from Ken McCloud in ages hope he was not carrying a fast stepping small caliber rifle and ran into a testosterone laden elephant that could not spell hydrostatic shock. Just teasing Clay. Kindest Regards"
    -Happy Myles

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I am not referring to Brands, I am referring to weight. Since you think 178gr is optimum, we are only 2gr difference.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Come-on jimbo Not every 30 Caliber Rifle shoot well with ALL brands of ammo, that's why Hornady came out with the 178gr ELD match, The most Balanced 30 Caliber Bullet. Check the Hunting & Target Reviews.on line.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    RECNYC, Just what part of New York State do you hunt in, I'm asking just as an Ex-New Yorker who grew up in NYS and worked in NYC.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Recnyc
    replied
    Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
    What other rifles do you have? I tend to prefer 150-165gr bullets in my 30-06s and 308s, so for me to buy a Win Mag, I’d probably stick to 180-200gr bullets to get a little more performance edge over my other 30s
    I have a tikka 270 which is my all around go to gun didnt wanna get the 06 cause there very similar so I went with the 300 win mag for longer distances larger game

Leave a comment:

• Recnyc
    replied
    I have a tikka 270 which is my all around rifle I didnt want to get the 06 because the 270 and the 06 are very similar so i went with the 300 win mag for larger game longer distances

Leave a comment:

• Recnyc
    replied
    I have a tikka 270 which is my all around rifle I didnt want to get the 06 because the 270 and the 06 are very similar so i went the 300 win mag for larger game longer distances

Leave a comment:

• Jaaragona1
    replied
    It really just depends on what you’re hunting. But if you’re looking for one grain to kill them all I’d go with the 180 grain. I don’t think there’s really a need to get anything fancy either core lokt or super x should be fine unless you’re shooting really long distance. Just try a couple different ones out at the range and see what she likes shooting best!

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I use a 168 gr Barnes TTSX in my .300 Weatherby Magnum and it kills very efficiently at all ranges without a lot of bloodshot meat. I am not hesitant to use that load on any game anywhere and your .300 Win Mag should do just fine similarly. Happy Trails

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad