Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought browning Abolt 3 300 win mag whats the best grain bullet for hunting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    I always thought a 180gr was a well balanced bullet for a .30 caliber.
    Come-on jimbo Not every 30 Caliber Rifle shoot well with ALL brands of ammo, that's why Hornady came out with the 178gr ELD match, The most Balanced 30 Caliber Bullet. Check the Hunting & Target Reviews.on line.

Comment

I am not referring to Brands, I am referring to weight. Since you think 178gr is optimum, we are only 2gr difference.

Comment

ken.mcloud said it best! “So, I think that the superior killing power of larger rounds is largely in our heads.(likely testosterone induced) A flat-shooting round that you can accurately place will produce as many if not more "bang-flop" kills as a heavy caliber round.”
        -
        On the other hand
        -
        "We have not heard from Ken McCloud in ages hope he was not carrying a fast stepping small caliber rifle and ran into a testosterone laden elephant that could not spell hydrostatic shock. Just teasing Clay. Kindest Regards"
        -Happy Myles

Comment

Its not me but Hornady With ELD = Exstream Low Drag out to 2,0020 yd So there is more {then 2gr Difference} It's the shape of the bullet and the new "No melt tip "
          Try a box on your 300 or 7rem-mag.

Comment

Originally posted by Recnyc View Post
            I have a tikka 270 which is my all around rifle I didnt want to get the 06 because the 270 and the 06 are very similar so i went the 300 win mag for larger game longer distances
            Recnyc, if you are interested in long distances, try the 210g Berger hunting bullets and Hornady ELDs. Use the one that shoots most accurately at the long ranges you desire. You can expect to get better mushrooming at the slower long distance ranges with the ELD but I shoot the Bergers because of better consistent accuracy in my rifle. I find the Bergers capable of shooting .7" three shot groups at 600 yards with a precision barrel. Since hitting them in the right spot is what really counts, that is my go-to bullet and it works. Of course these are tuned hand loads.

Comment

Tree, my longest shots would not be more than 300yds, probably more like 100yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                RECNYC, Just what part of New York State do you hunt in, I'm asking just as an Ex-New Yorker who grew up in NYS and worked in NYC.
                We hunt Deer and Turkey in Orange and Sullivan county and we hunt Bear in Greene county by the catskills...I live 15 minutes from the city and all I have to do is drive a hour and a half and I'm in the woods . A lot of people do a lot of hunting upstate ny

Comment

So I will answer in ranges. I strongly encourage you to find a round and a load that works best for your rifle.

Ranges:
                  150-180gr whitetail sized game. Those Winchester Deer Season XP are super fun to shoot, smoking fast excellent expansion. See how they do in your rifle. I could shoot these all day

180-200gr Elk Sized Game. This is what I select for moose, elk, and tougher deer I hear Caribou are large but go down easy. I tend to go with Remington Core-lokt or Federal Premium. The Winchester Super X was just okay. I haven't tried Fusion with that rifle, but it works well in my .280rem. You will start to feel these.

200+ Bear / Dangerous Game. I haven't tried the 240gr as it is quite expensive. I hear nothing but good things though. If I was blessed enough to do a Brown Bear or Polar bear hunt I would use the 240gr. 200gr is a always something to consider when you're in bear country.

Have fun and enjoy your new purchase. I would definitely listen to WAM, Dakota's and Happy's Advice. With 160's in a .300win mag, you have serious velocity and take down power to spare. Have fun with On the Spot Drops!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Culture of Lying
                    by 99explorer
                    Let's give credit where credit is due.
                    FDR gave us Social Security and LBJ gave us Medicare.
                    Thank God for both.
                    Today, 11:06 AM
                  • The Culture of Lying
                    by jhjimbo
                    The culture of lying is epidemic in Washington, D.C. and the rest of the Country. How did this get started? Was it Richard Nixon ? The crooked main...
                    Today, 08:16 AM
                  • Reply to FBI Raids Trumps Florida Home
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    As was previously posted.......the midterms are no sure victory for conservatives. As stated, the dimwits will pull every trick to denounce their opponents...
                    Today, 10:30 AM
                  • FBI Raids Trumps Florida Home
                    by rock rat
                    Former US President Donald Trump has said his Florida home is being raided by the FBI.

Mr Trump said in a statement Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach...
                    08-08-2022, 07:39 PM
                  • Reply to The Culture of Lying
                    by FirstBubba
                    Uhhmmm.....I think it goes back even farther!

As we all have our personal demons and little "dark secrets", I'm pretty confident...
                    Today, 10:24 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X