Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought browning Abolt 3 300 win mag whats the best grain bullet for hunting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought browning Abolt 3 300 win mag whats the best grain bullet for hunting??

Quick question for you guys who hunt with the 300 win mag looking for some insite on the best grain size for this cailber I shot 150 grain 180 grain ...hunting elk bear hog and deer with it ...

A pretty good "all around" bullet for the .300 Win Mag is a 165 grain.
    Guys that regularly hunt elk & moose probably prefer a heavier bullet like a 180 or 200.

Comment

My preference is the 168g Barnes TTSX for tough critters within 400 yards or so. For deer, you don't need such an expensive bullet in that size. If I want the capability to flatten elk at ranges beyond that, I use the Berger 210g hunting bullet. Its precision is unrivaled in my rifle. The Hornady ELD is a good choice in these sizes too and it expands well at ultra-fast close range speeds and slower long range speeds. I shoot the 130g Hornady Interlock for deer and antelope on the prairie because its speed seriously reduces lead on running game, making them much easier to hit. If I had to shoot one bullet, it would be the 168g size for everything unless I always want range beyond 500 yards and then it would be the Berger. They will flatten them at close range too.

Comment

180 grain all the way. A lighter bullet will likely cause more damage. Only a supreme expert should be taking running shots at big game in my opinion. I never do unless it's a wounded animal. Too much risk of buggering them up. A 180 grain in 300 Win mag will easily carry out to three hundred yards reasonably accurately but in my opinion no one should be shooting at animals other than varmints any further than 250 yards with that gun.

Right now I'm using up the last of my boat-tail 195 gr 30-06 close quarters moose reloads on eastern Montana deer. However, I won't take a shot beyond 100 yards. It's not necessary because there are hundreds of animals to shoot at ... every day. More challenging to get up close and personal. The damage to meat from those loads is quite marginal and knock-down is impressive.

Comment

The best all around bullet performance for your 300 win mag on your type of Big Game is Hornady 178gr ~ELD match.

But all Rifles don"t shoot well, You must find what your New Girl likes? So try different brands of ammo in or around the same bullet weight.

Comment

What other rifles do you have? I tend to prefer 150-165gr bullets in my 30-06s and 308s, so for me to buy a Win Mag, I’d probably stick to 180-200gr bullets to get a little more performance edge over my other 30s

Comment

With lead, I'd shoot 180's or 200's. I suppose I might go lighter with all copper bullets.

Comment

I have used this caliber all over the world for decades, taking animals large and small. I am primarily a serious big game hunter and have generally found the heavier bullets suit me the best. They do not in my experience ruin meat as often as lighter ones. Fifty years ago I mostly used handloads, 200 grain Nosler partitions at around 3000 FPS. I am now 80 and do not hand load often. I have found modern ammo has good bullets and consistent velocity. Triple Shock 180 grain copper seem to work fine. I own three custom rifles in 300WM and they are not temperamental as to bullet weight. I am a serious fair chase hunter around the world, long range shooting only with a crippled animal. Your first shot is your best one, use it wisely. Kindest Regards

Comment

I use a 168 gr Barnes TTSX in my .300 Weatherby Magnum and it kills very efficiently at all ranges without a lot of bloodshot meat. I am not hesitant to use that load on any game anywhere and your .300 Win Mag should do just fine similarly. Happy Trails

Comment

It really just depends on what you’re hunting. But if you’re looking for one grain to kill them all I’d go with the 180 grain. I don’t think there’s really a need to get anything fancy either core lokt or super x should be fine unless you’re shooting really long distance. Just try a couple different ones out at the range and see what she likes shooting best!

Comment

I have a tikka 270 which is my all around rifle I didnt want to get the 06 because the 270 and the 06 are very similar so i went the 300 win mag for larger game longer distances

Comment

I have a tikka 270 which is my all around rifle I didnt want to get the 06 because the 270 and the 06 are very similar so i went with the 300 win mag for larger game longer distances

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                          What other rifles do you have? I tend to prefer 150-165gr bullets in my 30-06s and 308s, so for me to buy a Win Mag, I’d probably stick to 180-200gr bullets to get a little more performance edge over my other 30s
                          I have a tikka 270 which is my all around go to gun didnt wanna get the 06 cause there very similar so I went with the 300 win mag for longer distances larger game

Comment

I always thought a 180gr was a well balanced bullet for a .30 caliber.

Comment

RECNYC, Just what part of New York State do you hunt in, I'm asking just as an Ex-New Yorker who grew up in NYS and worked in NYC.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad