Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wondering what my .22 will effectively shoot??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering what my .22 will effectively shoot??

squirrels - coyotes???

I've mostly used .22s on squirrels and snowshoe hares but I've heard of people killing animals like coyotes

Comment

I've seen a .22LR drop a 700 pound cow like a sack of bricks. It all comes down to where you can hit them. That said, I wouldn't hunt anything bigger than rabbits with one, unless I was in a bind.

Comment

It's widely considered a small-game gun and/or a trapper's dispatching gun.

Comment

Yeah, I've put down way more than my share of horses with a .22.
          Doug's right. It's where you put that pill that counts.
          I've taken several 'yotes with a .22.
          Spotted a 'yote in a cut over wheat field about 30 yards away. I had taken coyotes previously with Remington Golden .22's. I was using lower grade .22's that day.
          I heard the gun go off, the slug hit, the coyote yelp and saw him bite at his side then haul butt across a quarter of a mile of wide open wheat field, clearing the fence on the other end like an Olympic hurdler!
          Use good ammo!

Comment

Yeah you can definitely use them on coyotes, but it's not gonna be a long range tool. Probably wanna keep shots within 50 yards and aim for the head. But it's bread and butter will be squirrels, rabbits, coons, etc. And don't forget that if it's chambered for 22LR it will also shoot 22 long or short rounds, good for rats or other pesky little critters.

Comment

If you have a Family Big Dog "Lab"look it over that's about the size of a Coyote! NOW you target is his EAR = Brain Shot on a moving target @ 60+ yd, Are You That GOOD? You can BE stick with "off hand" head shots on Squirrels & Coons,Rabbits. Use CCI Mini Mags 36gr.

JMO) A 22/Hornet would be much better on 100+yd Coyotes with Very Low recoil.

Comment

Rabbits, raccoons and armadillos are about as big as I'd go with a .22 LR. If you can get that little lead pill into a larger animal's brain, it will kill them, but that takes a certain skill level.

Comment

Anything up to the size of a raccoon is fair game for a .22. Although you can kill a coyote with a real close brain shot, I consider it cruelty to animals to target coyotes with a .22. I've had to track one as far as four miles to put it out of its misery with four .22 holes through its chest.. They just don't have the knock down power to stop a coyote in their tracks but they certainly seem to cause them unbearable pain..

Comment

Dropped a couple whitetails Barksdale AFB that been hit by vehicle dropped them like Thor's hammer...

BTW, I was one of the Base Game Wardens....

Comment

Also, I am not sure if I am correct about this, but some states have laws against using weapons that are not powerful enough. I never checked myself, but when I lived in AZ, I brought my .22lr with me on a yote hunt and another hunter told me they were illegal to use on yotes.

So, I just shot rabbits for dinner that day. And I never checked to see if he was right or not...

Check your states laws!

Comment

Originally posted by UnclePezz View Post
                        Also, I am not sure if I am correct about this, but some states have laws against using weapons that are not powerful enough. I never checked myself, but when I lived in AZ, I brought my .22lr with me on a yote hunt and another hunter told me they were illegal to use on yotes.

So, I just shot rabbits for dinner that day. And I never checked to see if he was right or not...

Check your states laws!
                        In WV until recently, while coyote hunting at night, 22 rimfires were the only legal rifles

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad