What should I shoot through my CVA buckhorn magnum .50 cal 1:28 inch twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I shoot through my CVA buckhorn magnum .50 cal 1:28 inch twist

I can't seem to shoot my gun with any kind of consistency even at 50 yards. I've tried 100 grain and 150 grain and 250 grain bullets to 385 grain hornady bullets. I can't seem to get a group. I've even tried tearing down my gun after each shot and cleaning it and it doesn't group and I've tried shooting right after another without swabbing. And can't group. I'm kind of curious as to if anyone has the same gun and that have found something that works

Scope issue maybe?

Comment

I have a Hawken with a slow twist and I shoot a patched 50cal round ball with great success. Don't know enough about your situation to help.

Comment

I had a problem like yours till started using White Hot pellets 2)50gr. So i'm thing you have a powder problem?

Comment

I get 1" three shot groups at 100 yards from my 26" Traditions rifle with 250g Hornady sabot bullets and two 777 magnum pellets. I don't get any consistency when there is barrel butter in the barrel so I shoot one shot before I hunt and clean it every five shots or so. Make sure your bullet is tamped all the way down to the powder. Mark your ram rod if necessary to make sure. I'd use these bullets and powder because they sure seem to be much more accurate than others I've tried. Make sure your scope is solid too.

Comment

Assuming you don't have scope/sight related issues, you likely need to try using different powder load/combinations. If you're using pellets try out both 2 pellet (100 grains) and 3 pellet (150) loads with different brands of bullets (not just hornady). If that doesn't work, you should switch to loose powder and try different amounts of that. Unfortunately there are no easy answers when it comes to muzzleloaders. They are temperamental creatures, and any effort at setting them up requires hours on the range.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              I have a Hawken with a slow twist and I shoot a patched 50cal round ball with great success. Don't know enough about your situation to help.
              Wouldn't recommend it for him. Patched round balls tend to like slow rifling twists. The Buckhorn is a first generation style inline with a 1:28 twist, much better for sabots and certain conicals.

And sorry that I hit that report button again, I swear I don't mean to keep doing it.

Comment

Probably a bit late, but I have the same gun. I have had a lot of luck with 80 grains (volume) Pyrodex RS pushing 375 grain great plains bullets. I can only maintain a two inch group at 100 yards, but that is more my fault than the gun's. I just got some Lee REAL bullets, to see how the performance is.

Comment

i have a cva buckhorn inline and target shoot with patch round balls out of a 1&28 twist barrel with no problems. 50-70 grains of pyrodex powder and 120 grains for hunting with round ball. I use 90-100 grains on a powerbelt bullet with good results. As others have said you have to work up a load your gun likes. i would suggest getting a good sliding powder measure that you can gradually adjust over the ones that lock in every 10 grains. Once you find out what works put a mark on it.

Comment

Prefer "loose" Triple 7 over their pellets.
                    Buddy and I were sighting in prior to deer season.
                    He was shooting two T7 50gr pellets.
                    His gun just kind of went, "Poot!".
                    I was shooting 90 grains (volume) of T7 loose!
                    The difference in the report was definite!
                    Far as I know, he's still shooting T7 pellets. He just likes the convenience.

Love "front stuffers", but some of them can get real aggerfrettin' trying to figure out what they "like".

Comment

I have a CVA Optima V2. I have switched over to Blackhorn 209 loose powder. Extremely clean use regular gun cleaning solvents to clean it up. 20 to 30 rounds before cleaning, increased velocity the only drawback is you have to buy a different breech plug to shoot the powder. I have been shooting Pyrodex pellets, Triple 7 pellets and White hot pellets and the Blackhorn 209 gives much better results shooting 90 grains of powder and Hornady 250 grain flex tip bullets. The only drawback is the price $37.00 for 10 ounces. Of course unless you are target shooting a lot that will do you a long time just for hunting.

Comment

Maybe crazy, but even before the BP substitute stuff, every yr I started out with a new can of powder. New caps too.

Might be why I never had misfires/hangfires and got better accuracy than more frugal associates.
                        Maybe not.

Comment

Digging through my "stuff" the other day, I found 3.5 one pound cans of GOEX fffG! (or is it FFFg?)
                          I've still got two side locks that will love that stuff!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad