• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range time

Today was the sight in of the NEF .44mag
    Remington 700, 22-250
    Attached Files

Originally posted by PigHunter
    Hmmm, that looks like the groups I was getting from my .30-06 Handi-Rifle. Have you tried factory loads too?

The best I had last week was an acceptable 2 inch group and the worst was closer to 4 inches. I'm going to try some handloads but if that doesn't work, the barrel is going on EBay. I'll keep the receiver for use with other barrels.
    I don't have a 30-06 NEF, closest is a .308 which I have set up for ground hogs.
    I have found the most accurate factory ammo for my two 30-06's is Remington CoreLokt and Winchester PowerPoint, both 180gr. For reloads I like IMR or H 4350 and as a second choice Re 19. I load mostly Remington CoreLokt bullets in 180 or 165gr. For a final check of your barrel, try shooting a dozen rounds and then try for accuracy - maybe it likes a fouled bore. Another thing is look at the muzzle for any damage. I have seen a guy 'dress' a muzzle with a hand drill and a tapered reamer. Might be worth a try if there is any damage or imperfection.
    Good luck.
    P.S. I measured the group. Extreme left to right was 4". But, the vertical 3 shots were 1 3/4". My excuse is the left and right were because of my poor trigger control. I had not shot the .44 before or the NEF in several months. The post on the 2.5X scope was bigger than the red dot so it was difficult to aim a small paper target - larger deer should be no problem. Plenty of power and what surprised me was the .44 really let me know I pulled the trigger.

Comment

Hmmm, that looks like the groups I was getting from my .30-06 Handi-Rifle. Have you tried factory loads too?

The best I had last week was an acceptable 2 inch group and the worst was closer to 4 inches. I'm going to try some handloads but if that doesn't work, the barrel is going on EBay. I'll keep the receiver for use with other barrels.
      PH, you need to make a little tool if you are going to take the NEF trigger out. There are instructions on YouTube. It is necessary to line things up when putting it back together.
      I started with IMR4060 almost 40 years ago and never did real well with it, although it is always one of the recommended powders. IMR4895 is the powder the Government uses for the 30-06 with the 168gr bullet.

Comment

jimbo.....jmo, Do a 50 yd or 75 yd test. @ 100yd for a 44 mag its a stretch! My Marlin 1894-P has a 16" Bbl it opens up like yours @ 100yd but @ 75yd mine shoots (5) rounds in the size of a 1/2 dollar with 225gr Hornady FXT. just saying

Comment

My post and crosshair K2.5 scope is the limiting factor. The post is bigger than the circle at 100yds but it should be o.k. for deer hunting. If you take out the extreme left and right, the vertical group is 1 3/4". I think the left and right is due to my bad trigger control as I have not been shooting the NEF much up until now.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad