Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions on protecting data on computers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions on protecting data on computers ?

Some I have heard are: delete all your history. Don't use history to go to a site, type the address in the specific browser you use or get it from your bookmark.
    Don't respond or open any request to update any personal information.
    Report phishing to the legitimate web site. I had one once that claimed to be the FBI. Called them and they said they knew of it.
    Maybe some geeks can add more suggestions.

Don't open any emails from an unrecognized source.

Comment

jimbo, If you receive AARP Mag, for this month they have great tips to stay safe on line & tips for pass words.
      Note: The FBI,Your Bank They will never ask You for personal info On-line or on your phone.

Comment

All my important "data" is analog.
        None is on a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
          jimbo, If you receive AARP Mag, for this month they have great tips to stay safe on line & tips for pass words.
          Note: The FBI,Your Bank They will never ask You for personal info On-line or on your phone.
          Tree, AARP backed HRC and is a liberal organization.
          Might I suggest you try AMAC.
          Association of Mature American Citizens.
          AMAC supported Trump and is VERY conservative.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
            Don't open any emails from an unrecognized source.
            99, the problem is, a hacker can mask themselves to look like someone you know and use - that is why you always contact them, not the other way around. I had one recently that looked just like AOL, it was not.

Another tip is to get all the updates from Microsoft. They currently have updates for Win10 and also older Win that will help protect from the current Ransomware. Just make sure you have enabled 'updates' or go to MS and get the updates.

Comment

I don't belong to AARP, that's for old people.

Comment

1. Encrypt any files containing sensitive information.
                2. Activate good virus detection software.
                3. Activate a good firewall.

No one should be able to penetrate to your data but if they do, there is no way they can interpret it.

Comment

Ain't old jimbo!
                  I'm just working on my third 29!

Comment

This was posted 7 hours ago, about U.S. warning on cyber attacks.
                    This link below is from England, so other countries are on notice also.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/14/cyber-attack-escalate-working-week-begins-experts-nhs-europol-warn

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad