Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TMike51 Can I ask a question about your hunt you posted about ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMike51 Can I ask a question about your hunt you posted about ?

My congrats to you for taking a young hunter out ! My question for you is looking back on this effort are there things you would have done differently ? Please cover all aspects if possible. Preperation, things that happened during the hunt and anything you did after it was over. We have a scenrio like this we use in a hunter ed group I work with. I am a 25 year hunter ed instructor. Thanks !

I will first say thank you for being a Hunter Education Instructor, fellas like you help educate young men and women on gun saftey and many other important things, you are vital members to the outdoors community. This young man was well prepared. We spent a few days before hand shooting making sure he could handle a gun. He was very safe to be around and always conscience of where he was pointing his barrel. The biggest thing that happened was that he just lacked experience. I should have been a little more patient and waited for the Turkey to close to maybe 20 yards. I just did not want to risk a wary bird getting to close to a nervous young hunter and spooking. However, it would be benificial to talk about shooting at an angle that is less than ideal. This bird came in quiet(trying to sneak in and steal hens) and popped up a little to far to the right of him. So he ended up having to shoot without the support of his knee, that threw him off a bit I think.

Comment

Good prep, those turkeys can be down right sneaky. I assume you were not in a blind then ? You stated that he "winged" the turkey, what part of the body did he hit ? Any sighting aid on the gun ? Pattern testing was done as you say you spent time shooting ?

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post
        Good prep, those turkeys can be down right sneaky. I assume you were not in a blind then ? You stated that he "winged" the turkey, what part of the body did he hit ? Any sighting aid on the gun ? Pattern testing was done as you say you spent time shooting ?
        Correct we were sitting against a tree no blind, my best guess is the core of his patern hit right behind where the right wing connects to the bird(the right wing was pretty mangled).No glass on the gun, but he had a neon green fiber optic sight. We shot enough to know his maximum effective kill range was about 30 yards. This bird was at 27 so it was close even with a great shot.

Comment

TMike51; I'm a Hunter Ed instructor as well and I'm wondering how he handled the situation afterwards? Did he feel successful or was he disappointed that you finished the bird? Both maybe? Lot of emotion going on at a time like that, hoping he took it well.

Comment

He was not exactly upset that I finished the bird, more bummed he made a bad shot really. I made sure to give him a lot of praise. He did everything right, it was just a new situation. Sometimes things happen that only real world experiance can prepare you for. After we talked about that and I made it clear it was his bird, and his shot would have killed the bird.(I told him I just wanted to expedite the process) he was pumped up! He is already excited about next year and promises to do more practice shooting without support

Comment

He is a good young hunter and has a lot of passion about the animals and the woods.

Comment

Thanks, glad to hear he's still into it. Sounds like a good learning experience.

Comment

TMike51: Glad Fitch jumped in, he has a young son that is having success. Conversations with him could help your progress with this young hunter.
                  Gun was choked with what tube ? I just use a magnetic glow stick on my turkey gun. A thought to ponder, sometimes a turkey comes in and does not offer a quality shot. We are not obligated to shoot if a confident killing shot can't be taken. Part of being an ethical hunter

I will go off topic here abit just to add some perspectives. There are some good pheasant loads in 2 3/4 inch shells using 1 oz of # 5 or 6 shot that will give this gun some more killing capacity. I am sure you have seen the conversations I have had with Bubba about this #8 shot perspective. You sharing the story supports my debates on this very well. I started hunting turkeys in the mid 80's, in the mid 90's I had a run of filling my four tags ( 2 spring, 2 fall ) 6 years in a row. By the time Bubba started in the 2002 or 2003 I had put about fourty turkeys on the ground. I am not claiming to be an expert but I think that makes me someone with quality experience. I had an excellent mentor when I first started, can't tell you how much that helped me.
                  I know at least thirty avid trap shooters, a few of them shoot 92 to 95 % from the 27 yard line. Probably about half are serious turkey hunters as well. I have shared this pattern density debate with them , none of them share that thought that Bubba claims as gospel. These guys live off of shooting 7 1/2's or 8 's so if they would not use those loads for turkeys maybe we should give those perspectives serious consideration ? My thoughts are a good pheasant load that patterns well is an excellant turkey load . I shot a few birds in my early years using ( at that time ) the dedicated turkey shells but settleed on standard pheasant loads in either # 5 or 6 shot. Knowing which loads use quality shot is an important part of this. I shoot a fair amount of sporting clays, maybe 2000 shells a year. Almost exclusively #8's from a 20 gauge, I can break certain targts nicely up to 40 yards but I understand pellet energy and how it relates to breaking targets or killing game.
                  I am confident you and this young huntere will have good experiences together, I look forward to more stories. That darn Fitch beat me to the question I was going to ask too

Thanks for your kind words for my efforts as a Hunter Ed Insructor as well !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad