Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what's the story with feral hogs. Are they big game, small game, varmints, or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
    Part of what bugs me about the response is I think people like complaining about having feral hogs, more than they like not having feral hogs. I hate to admit it, but the IL stance makes sense on some level. Guys want to hunt these. However, as ethical hunters we've all been brought up to NOT wipe out a species. So there's the rub, hunting them leaves a population but the goal as an invasive is to wipe them out.

MHO: if they want to be rid of them, encourage trapping and eradication, making shooting mandatory (destroy Goby caught in Great Lakes), License to allow people to target pigs on public land, no limit, maybe even a bounty program.
    I don't know guys, I've never had the opportunity so I can't say either way. Bubba, when ever I asked for permission to go shoot hogs in TX the response was, "Oh well my brother/cousin/FIL/BIL etc. does that so thanks anyway." It was constant rejection. I know all the dangers, I guess I figured everyone else considered them pests as much as I do.
    As far as danger, it seems there's maybe a difference between some of the escaped wild boar that came off of game ranches and the 1st or 2nd generation feral swine. I think a wild "old boar' is probably pretty dangerous. Those tusks are designed for fighting off wolves.
    https://youtu.be/GQ_pWkwvnvU

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
      Part of what bugs me about the response is I think people like complaining about having feral hogs, more than they like not having feral hogs. I hate to admit it, but the IL stance makes sense on some level. Guys want to hunt these. However, as ethical hunters we've all been brought up to NOT wipe out a species. So there's the rub, hunting them leaves a population but the goal as an invasive is to wipe them out.

MHO: if they want to be rid of them, encourage trapping and eradication, making shooting mandatory (destroy Goby caught in Great Lakes), License to allow people to target pigs on public land, no limit, maybe even a bounty program.
      Your "Texas Rejection" didn't have anything to do with the landowners love of ferals and everything to do with the liabilities of being a landowner.
      Today's litigation happy society makes allowing strangers onto your property a very real and very great risk.
      So, don't be offended.
      My neighbor allows me to hunt 340 acres free. The entire reason is because when somebody else wants to hunt the land, he can say, "No. It's already being hunted.".
      ...and...I'm just another set of eyes and ears when he isn't there to catch cows having problems calving, getting out, where they shouldn't be, trespassers, etc.
      It's a mutual benefit.
      He's got a free "watchman".
      I've got free hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
        I hate to make my answer tops but I want to clarify my question. Legally (for licensing purposes and regulation) are hogs considered small game, large game, or varmints, or what?
        For The Record, I don't believe in dings.
        I would rather post plus ones, for the Top Answers, given out to other F&S users who take their valuable time to answer somebody else's thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
          With your clarification, most states treat feral hogs as vermin like rats and mice. You can shoot them, trap them, run over them with your truck, poison them or use whatever method of extermination that you desire. There are typically no limits and no desire to preserve the species. Typically regulations prohibit transporting and releasing live animals or doing anything that might cause the species to survive or flourish.
          No, pighunter, this guy was an idiot.
          ....and intentionally running down a "sounder"?
          I'd say at least makes you a bit, uhm (?), suspect? LOL!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
            by jhjimbo
            Why does Bubba constantly corrupt a post by inserting an irrelevant post that changes the thread. He does that all the time.
            We were talking about...
            Today, 02:32 AM
          • Hey Folks
            by jhjimbo
            Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
            Yesterday, 11:12 AM
          • Reply to Hey Folks
            by jhjimbo
            People don't buy a mower without an engine, just like at the flea market tools without a power cord or battery don't sell too well....
            Today, 02:27 AM
          • Reply to Hey Folks
            by 99explorer
            I have found that a riding mower takes less of a toll on crippled people, but you get more exercise with a pushing style reel mower.
            Just an ob...
            Yesterday, 10:58 PM
          • Reply to Hey Folks
            by franchi20
            As other posted, the biter lives. It won't be forgotten that the dog's wrong doing was covered up as was the owner's....
            Yesterday, 10:55 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X