Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what's the story with feral hogs. Are they big game, small game, varmints, or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's the story with feral hogs. Are they big game, small game, varmints, or what?

Inquiring mind wants to know.

Targets of opportunity. Habitat destroyers. Disease carrying bullet sponges. They are not game they are an overgrown rat in my opinion. They root up food plots destroy natural browse and eat turkey eggs. Be glad they aren't in your area. Two hunting seasons ago they destroyed my food plot in on night.

Comment

A Russian boar over 350 pounds is the closest thing we have to an African Lion east of the Mississippi. They are certainly larger than our largest deer and some get larger than some mature elk. They have a penchant for attacking hunters with razor sharp tusks and they can be about as tough as a rhinoceros if you need to shoot them from head on.

Although they can't turn and maneuver well at all, their acceleration and straight line speed is probably faster than our fastest deer for a short ways. If they catch you in a swamp, you probably won't survive because they are deadly killers from that vantage point. During a swimming attack, they look like they have twin Yamaha 250s strapped to their tail. I have never witnessed any other animal including reptiles (alligators) moving with such speed in water.

Although the meat of a big boar is about as edible as a bag of saw dust, younger and smaller animals are the same delicious taste and nutrition as barn yard pork that we pay to eat. I don't know if that entitles them to be called game or not.

I guarantee you one thing... it is a mistake to think of 350 pound plus feral Russian boars as farmyard pigs. You are well advised to think of them like lions that can't turn around to kill you if you grab them by the tail and you can dodge them better than an agile lion during a full on charge. In human attacks, they also tend to slice the legs two inches deep rather than go for the throat on the first pass. That has saved hunters whereas a lion or grizzly would only require one pass.

Although they are a pest due to over propagation; they are no more if a pest than a big deer herd in a corn field. Because they have good meat, they could be called game but I guess I would call them pests because they could be eradicated and we could raise all the pork we need in farm lots.

Comment

"...big game, small game, varmints, or what?..."

Uh...? All four?
        Honk, as the Spaniards began exploring the New World, they also released swine to hunt for food when/if they returned to the area.
        Once Europeans started colonizing America, they also allowed their livestock to graze unfenced. They didn't have to feed or care for them and they stayed close enough to hunt when pork was needed.
        ...and THEN!...
        They began to breed and run wild. The rest is history.
        ...and THEN!...
        Mexico had a problem with coyotes and the just larger than a coyote Mexican wolf killing goats and sheep.
        They (Mexican ranchers) imported the Russian boar. The boar (pigs) would root out an entire den of coyote pups and consume them. Then they (the pigs) crossed the Rio.
        ...and THEN!...
        Idiot sportsmen(?) who thought hunting an aggressive, 300 pound animal, with dogs and handguns was great sport, started transplanting them to their area.
        Now...we have an invasive omnivore species that carrys livestock virulent diseases, destroys crops and wildlife that can't be exterminated.
        What else would you like to know about ferals?
        I've seen them as singles and herds (a group of hogs is known as a "sounder") as large as 80 animals.
        I've taken ferals that field dressed as little as 3 pounds and up to 300 pounds.
        I've killed hogs and left them lay and the buzzards wouldn't touch them.
        Shoot up a herd and they go nocturnal.
        Shoot them up again and they will relocate...only to be replaced by the herd next door.
        Young females can breed at 6 months of age and have 2 litters a year.
        They are vermin.
        I won't call them game.
        Large or small.
        Maybe "something else" is the best fit.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
          A Russian boar over 350 pounds is the closest thing we have to an African Lion east of the Mississippi. They are certainly larger than our largest deer and some get larger than some mature elk. They have a penchant for attacking hunters with razor sharp tusks and they can be about as tough as a rhinoceros if you need to shoot them from head on.

Although they can't turn and maneuver well at all, their acceleration and straight line speed is probably faster than our fastest deer for a short ways. If they catch you in a swamp, you probably won't survive because they are deadly killers from that vantage point. During a swimming attack, they look like they have twin Yamaha 250s strapped to their tail. I have never witnessed any other animal including reptiles (alligators) moving with such speed in water.

Although the meat of a big boar is about as edible as a bag of saw dust, younger and smaller animals are the same delicious taste and nutrition as barn yard pork that we pay to eat. I don't know if that entitles them to be called game or not.

I guarantee you one thing... it is a mistake to think of 350 pound plus feral Russian boars as farmyard pigs. You are well advised to think of them like lions that can't turn around to kill you if you grab them by the tail and you can dodge them better than an agile lion during a full on charge. In human attacks, they also tend to slice the legs two inches deep rather than go for the throat on the first pass. That has saved hunters whereas a lion or grizzly would only require one pass.

Although they are a pest due to over propagation; they are no more if a pest than a big deer herd in a corn field. Because they have good meat, they could be called game but I guess I would call them pests because they could be eradicated and we could raise all the pork we need in farm lots.
          Equine feces!
          Pigs is tough!
          THEY AIN'T BULLET PROOF!
          ...and the minus is mine!
          D'Man,
          Q - do you know what a Tiger is?

Comment

I'd have to say varmints, they can tear up a farm field in no time. But in smaller populations where they aren't causing many issues I'd probably go with big game

Comment

I hate to make my answer tops but I want to clarify my question. Legally (for licensing purposes and regulation) are hogs considered small game, large game, or varmints, or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                I hate to make my answer tops but I want to clarify my question. Legally (for licensing purposes and regulation) are hogs considered small game, large game, or varmints, or what?
                I think Ok requires a "Regular" hunting license, but no tag is required.
                Season runs 12:01AM Jan 1 until 11:59PM Dec 31.
                Bag limit: ? How much ammo ya got, eh?

Comment

OH
                  Here Ky a hunting license is all thats required and your go to go. Shot on sight no questions ask as long as you aren't tresspassing.

Comment

Feral hog regulations vary by state.

Some states require small game etc. licenses, and other states just require generic hunting licenses.

Here are some state regulations that specify small game etc.

Alabama: Small game license required.

Illinois: Feral hogs are not considered wildlife. Feral hogs can only be hunted during deer season. (That one is kind of weird).

Indiana: Hogs are not considered game.

New Hampshire: Feral Hogs are not considered game. They are considered escaped property.

New Jersey: Feral hogs can only be hunted during deer season.

Wisconsin: A small game license is required.
                    Attached Files

Comment

We don't have feral hogs in Alaska but when people talk about them they seem to be varmints or a pest

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post

Some states require small game etc. licenses, and other states just require generic hunting licenses.

Illinois: Feral hogs are not considered wildlife. Feral hogs can only be hunted during deer season. (That one is kind of weird).

New Hampshire: Feral Hogs are not considered game. They are considered escaped property.

Source: Hogman outdoors feral hog regulations by state.

Comment

I misinterpreted your question early. My home state of Arkansas is a little weird. On private ground you can trap or kill them year round. So long as you hunting privileges haven't been revoked. On public ground during elk,deer and bear season. Legal to kill them when hunting on all ground public or private. Hunting on public ground is forbidden. But I don't if a game warden that would get upset with you for killing any hog. I killed 2 years ago squirrel hunting with a shotgun. I had a sounder get around me and I went to work with that old 1100 needless to say it was insane. I didn't know how dangerous it was at the time. I was very lucky
                          I didn't get hurt. I always carry a pistol now!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post

"Fake" news, Henry.

Comment

In Florida their open season on all private land & hunting leases, On state land pigs need to have 15" shoulder or more No Tags.just your hunting Lic. There are the Poor mans "Grizz" they are very dangers with there 3"- 4"cutters.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
                                by jhjimbo
                                Why does Bubba constantly corrupt a post by inserting an irrelevant post that changes the thread. He does that all the time.
                                We were talking about...
                                Today, 02:32 AM
                              • Hey Folks
                                by jhjimbo
                                Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
                                Yesterday, 11:12 AM
                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by jhjimbo
                                People don't buy a mower without an engine, just like at the flea market tools without a power cord or battery don't sell too well....
                                Today, 02:27 AM
                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by 99explorer
                                I have found that a riding mower takes less of a toll on crippled people, but you get more exercise with a pushing style reel mower.
                                Just an ob...
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by franchi20
                                As other posted, the biter lives. It won't be forgotten that the dog's wrong doing was covered up as was the owner's....
                                Yesterday, 10:55 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X