Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a person you just won't hunt with? What they'd do?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is there a person you just won't hunt with? What they'd do?

    Was going back a few pages and WAM shared a story with me. (Big thanks WAM!) and it made me think of guys that have done dangerous or stupid stuff that I just won't hunt with anymore. Anyone got a story on someone like that, that they're willing to share.

  • #2
    I will never hunt with my cousin George again. Driving to Maine all night, we stopped at a gas station for coffee. George was driving my youngest brother's pick up truck with a campher in the back. My two brothers were sleeping in the back and George left the truck in neutral. The truck rolled and hit a protection pipe in front of the gas pumps. My brothers could of been killed.

    When we got to Maine we put up the large army tent with a over hanging fly in the front. An hour later George was peeing in front of the tent fly doorway instead of walking twenty feet to the woods. He was real lazy.
    He also brought a cast iron frying pan dirty and loaded with grease. My brother asked George "why didn't you clean the frying pan at home with hot water?" George walked down to the ice cold lake with a Brillo pad.
    Another George blunder, when it was his turn to cook breakfast, he cooked the eggs before the bacon. When the bacon was cooked the eggs were ice cold. Never hunting again with George.

    Comment


    • #3
      I am very picky as to who I hunt or dog train with. I stress safety above all things. If anyone violates my safety instructions, I will never associate with them again. Interestingly, hunters with decades of experience seem to be the biggest violators.
      I have banned several people from hunting with me or my dogs.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm reluctant to say this because I don't want there to be a single implication that I'm not safe with firearms. That's simply not true. My F-I-L. You'd have to know the type of man. A true heart of gold but likes to think he's rattle snake mean. If you pulled your bolt, tore your floor plate off, removed your barrel and shoved it all up your own a$$ he'd still some how tell you 3-4 times to point your rifle somewhere else and not at him... but if he knows it pisses you off he keeps on going with it.

        Comment


        • #5
          For me it's not person but persons. Not any bad gun handlers as I recall but generally fell into two groups.
          1. The killers. Hunted many kinds of game or hunted one species hardcore(ducks) but hated the taste of game and tried giving it all away after they killed it. Never cleaning it first, except deer. I suspect more than a little found its way to a ditch.
          2. Blowhard experts. Will bellow long and hard about how much better their gear is and how yours is junk. Doesn't really phase me but newbies, ladies, and kids looking to be accepted into the outdoor fraternity get shamed right out of it by these bullies.
          I can't stand these two types of people and unfortunately I seem to run into more and more of them. I wish Petzal, Heavey, or Mr. Phil would address this in a column.
          There are other kinds I have run across on a much more limited basis..........
          1. The "clients" who beg you to come along and once you do invite them, expect to be waited on hand and foot(you do all cooking and cleaning) get the best sleeping spot and most egregious, hunt right beside you as though you're their guide and any game you come across means naturally, they get the first shot. Got a beautiful mulie rack on the wall to highlight what a mistake that one is.
          2. The "teacher" bugs you to hunt together till you give in and then everything you do is questioned. You are not calling right, not setting up right, staying in one spot either too long or not long enough. Nothing you do will be like anything he's "read in a magazine or on line" remember he's a teacher, as in "book smart". Real world experience and local game knowledge are abstracts he'll never grasp. Time to drop out of school, hell, you're flunking his class anyway.
          Wow! Caffeine wore my finger out this morning. Thanks for letting me rant Mr. Buckshttoo

          Comment


          • #6
            This hunter was invited by two brothers that had hunted with us previously so we assumed he was ok. He turned out to be a blowhard that showed up with a Browning BAR in 7mm STW. We believe he shot a cow elk in the rump early in the hunt (which he denied) leaving it to die later, which we found. Too lazy to track it in thick oak brush. Several days later, he was blackballed from our group after shooting over the head of another hunter at a running elk which had already been hit by that hunter. He then had the audacity to claim it as his animal. Carl would not challenge him on that issue, so I kept out of it other than telling him that I hope he enjoyed that meat as it will be the last he savors from this place. Cheers

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
              I'm reluctant to say this because I don't want there to be a single implication that I'm not safe with firearms. That's simply not true. My F-I-L. You'd have to know the type of man. A true heart of gold but likes to think he's rattle snake mean. If you pulled your bolt, tore your floor plate off, removed your barrel and shoved it all up your own a$$ he'd still some how tell you 3-4 times to point your rifle somewhere else and not at him... but if he knows it pisses you off he keeps on going with it.
              My FIL was (rip) quite the opposite. Famous for waving a loaded 742 Woodsblaster around with no muzzle control. When called down about it, "Whut?" was the usual response. He wondered late in life why no one would hunt with him....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
                I'm reluctant to say this because I don't want there to be a single implication that I'm not safe with firearms. That's simply not true. My F-I-L. You'd have to know the type of man. A true heart of gold but likes to think he's rattle snake mean. If you pulled your bolt, tore your floor plate off, removed your barrel and shoved it all up your own a$$ he'd still some how tell you 3-4 times to point your rifle somewhere else and not at him... but if he knows it pisses you off he keeps on going with it.
                Sorry to imply that my f-I-L is somehow more safety conscious than another. He's not. He just wants to make sure he treats those around him like children.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Two that each had a negligent discharge. Nobody hurt, but a change of underwear was in order.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dewman View Post
                    For me it's not person but persons. Not any bad gun handlers as I recall but generally fell into two groups.
                    1. The killers. Hunted many kinds of game or hunted one species hardcore(ducks) but hated the taste of game and tried giving it all away after they killed it. Never cleaning it first, except deer. I suspect more than a little found its way to a ditch.
                    2. Blowhard experts. Will bellow long and hard about how much better their gear is and how yours is junk. Doesn't really phase me but newbies, ladies, and kids looking to be accepted into the outdoor fraternity get shamed right out of it by these bullies.
                    I can't stand these two types of people and unfortunately I seem to run into more and more of them. I wish Petzal, Heavey, or Mr. Phil would address this in a column.
                    There are other kinds I have run across on a much more limited basis..........
                    1. The "clients" who beg you to come along and once you do invite them, expect to be waited on hand and foot(you do all cooking and cleaning) get the best sleeping spot and most egregious, hunt right beside you as though you're their guide and any game you come across means naturally, they get the first shot. Got a beautiful mulie rack on the wall to highlight what a mistake that one is.
                    2. The "teacher" bugs you to hunt together till you give in and then everything you do is questioned. You are not calling right, not setting up right, staying in one spot either too long or not long enough. Nothing you do will be like anything he's "read in a magazine or on line" remember he's a teacher, as in "book smart". Real world experience and local game knowledge are abstracts he'll never grasp. Time to drop out of school, hell, you're flunking his class anyway.
                    Wow! Caffeine wore my finger out this morning. Thanks for letting me rant Mr. Buckshttoo
                    I find people that want the meat, but I hunt geese out of spite. Hate those birds.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have a very good friend and hunting mentor who is ten years older than I! A better hunter, shot or tracker you couldn't find. Well he remarried and his new step son started hunting with us, what a law breaking egotistical jerk he was. After a couple days in the field with this guy I couldn't take it but the last straw came when him and I did a two man silent deer drive to help my friend fill his doe tag. We had both tag out that morning and I ask why he was still carrying his rifle? He went on about running into bears or coyotes (bs)! When we heard my friend shoot I said well Roger got his deer he told me he would loop around and push any deer back towards Roger . I walked toward his stand and came up on his doe laying in the field . He ask where Gary was I told him he would be there shortly to which he chuckled and said sure he will. We field dressed the doe and I dragged it out for him. About halfway to the truck we came up on Gary , Roger ask where were you he said he was filling Rogers tag for him !!! Roger said " what who needs you to fill my tag ?" Gary said well I guess we have a problem , to which I replied " no you have a problem and walked off dragging Rogers deer ! We loaded up and drove away without him. That was twenty years ago and I never hunted with Gary again and lost a hunting partner in Roger because of uneasiness at home with his wife. We still are friends but hardly ever hunt together anymore. Those are the breaks!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You see many reasons on here why I almost always choose to hunt alone. There is a drawback to that though: when someone I do trust is allowed to come along, I almost don't trust myself because I'm not used to company in the field. Makes me very nervous ... about myself.

                        The person I would NOT hunt with is Donald Trump. First, he's so dumb he'd probably hurt himself with a gun. If he didn't, I might have to give him a hand in that department. "Ooops! So sorry. Well, Donald, you thought it was funny for someone else to go through life handicapped, I guess now you'll have plenty to laugh about for a long time."

                        I'll pass on hunting with Dick Cheney too ... for obvious reasons!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I haven't gone hunting with anyone I wouldn't go with again, but there are people I won't take hunting. Not that I dislike them, I just don't trust their judgement.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Until he buys another gun, I think I'll pass on duck hunting with the young fella whose new Stoeger shotgun went fully auto at clays last year ... twice!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                              You see many reasons on here why I almost always choose to hunt alone. There is a drawback to that though: when someone I do trust is allowed to come along, I almost don't trust myself because I'm not used to company in the field. Makes me very nervous ... about myself.

                              The person I would NOT hunt with is Donald Trump. First, he's so dumb he'd probably hurt himself with a gun. If he didn't, I might have to give him a hand in that department. "Ooops! So sorry. Well, Donald, you thought it was funny for someone else to go through life handicapped, I guess now you'll have plenty to laugh about for a long time."

                              I'll pass on hunting with Dick Cheney too ... for obvious reasons!
                              Stupid post, honk. And yes, I was the one who marked you down, for stupidity.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                              Right Rail 1

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by jhjimbo
                                Why does Bubba constantly corrupt a post by inserting an irrelevant post that changes the thread. He does that all the time.
                                We were talking about...
                                Today, 02:32 AM
                              • Hey Folks
                                by jhjimbo
                                Good Monday Morning


                                Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
                                ...
                                Yesterday, 11:12 AM
                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by jhjimbo
                                People don't buy a mower without an engine, just like at the flea market tools without a power cord or battery don't sell too well....
                                Today, 02:27 AM
                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by 99explorer
                                I have found that a riding mower takes less of a toll on crippled people, but you get more exercise with a pushing style reel mower.
                                Just an ob...
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by franchi20
                                As other posted, the biter lives. It won't be forgotten that the dog's wrong doing was covered up as was the owner's....
                                Yesterday, 10:55 PM

                              Right Rail 3

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X