Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you are Hunter Ed instructors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you are Hunter Ed instructors?

I'll be part of a gun course tomorrow, will be my 13'th year officially, but I started assisting both gun and bow uncertified in '96. I'll be 50 this fall and when we have our refresher meetings this summer will still be one of the youngest guys in the room. My son will be helping for his third one even though he won't be old enough to be a junior instructor until next year. I'm hoping to keep him involved until he can become fully certified. Many state agencies will be recruiting this summer, if you can get involved please do so. If you are let's hear about it.

I am not an instructor but have been considering it for a couple of years. Time is my biggest issue at the present.

Comment

First year (1975) I hunted Colorado, I had to take a hunter safety course to buy a license.
      While my buddies were out setting up camp, I was stuck in the basement of the local Methodist church in Pagosa Springs, Colorado listening to Judd Cuney and a guy named Yamaguchi drone on for eight hours about stuff that had been hammered into me since the 1st grade (1957) and earlier!
      I've thought about becoming an instructor...but then I think again.
      I don't do well in boring situations.

Comment

I don't instruct classes, but I do teach adult onset hunters that show an interest and want to learn.

Comment

I did for about ten years, back in the late 90s and early 00s. We had a three-man team, fall courses each year and sometimes a springtime one, and I did a couple of courses with other teams when they needed a fill-in. I was 25 when I started and was by far the youngest of any of the guys I taught with.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
            I did for about ten years, back in the late 90s and early 00s. We had a three-man team, fall courses each year and sometimes a springtime one, and I did a couple of courses with other teams when they needed a fill-in. I was 25 when I started and was by far the youngest of any of the guys I taught with.
            Any chance you'll get back into it? We get a few folks from up your way about every year. One of the reasons I keep at it is knowing the demand for courses. As the older guys drop out it makes me wonder if anyone will replace me someday. I'm hoping my kid will.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
              I don't instruct classes, but I do teach adult onset hunters that show an interest and want to learn.
              We had a young class today, about half were 14 or under. Last few years that age group would be about one third of the class, another third about college age and the rest adults. Not uncommon for a dad with no experience taking the class with an interested kid. They seem to have the most questions.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                First year (1975) I hunted Colorado, I had to take a hunter safety course to buy a license.
                While my buddies were out setting up camp, I was stuck in the basement of the local Methodist church in Pagosa Springs, Colorado listening to Judd Cuney and a guy named Yamaguchi drone on for eight hours about stuff that had been hammered into me since the 1st grade (1957) and earlier!
                I've thought about becoming an instructor...but then I think again.
                I don't do well in boring situations.
                Can't say I've ever been bored giving a class, but I'm sure I've bored a number of students.

Comment

Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
                  I am not an instructor but have been considering it for a couple of years. Time is my biggest issue at the present.
                  Probably the main reason most instructors are older. I was single when I started so that helped. Just learned how to work classes in once I got married and the kids came along. Was easier when they were little, didn't have to work around their activities. My son actually told his baseball coach he couldn't make an extra practice today so he could help out.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                    I'm not an instructor and was grandfathered in so am not required to take the program. However, safety is very important so I try and learn as much as possible via the web:
                    Not sure if I should laugh or be offended. Guess I'll just grin

Comment

Good on your boy! (And you) being dedicated to sports was my thing but in hindsight it got me nothing but a date with one cheerleader and I missed out on a lot of living as a result of sports. I loved them and still do but hunting, fishing and scouting have always been my passions and I lost a lot of woods time to sports. I truly wish I had more time now but between starting the business two years ago, having a kid the same year and now building my house nights and weekends I don't wish for more obligations. Hopefully I'm smart enough to slow down next year. I've also been thinking about starting up a high school shooting league with a couple of LEO friends. We'll see what happens. Thanks for putting your time in to ensure hunting sticks around for generations to come!

Comment

I've been thinking about it for years. I'd like to, but most courses in my area seem to be in the summer, which is when I'm super busy. And, I've got a pile of small children at home... Some day!

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
                          I've been thinking about it for years. I'd like to, but most courses in my area seem to be in the summer, which is when I'm super busy. And, I've got a pile of small children at home... Some day!
                          We started doing a late March - early April course a couple years ago and I prefer them. Not as much going on then for everyone involved. You can volunteer without being certified, it's a good way to start out. Maybe when your kid takes a class you could offer to help.

Comment

Having more time is like having a bigger garage, it just means you'll fill it with more stuff. Slowing down will happen on its own, just make sure to have a life with your family while making a life for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                              That's good, for too long our sport has been dying out. With dad there, you know that they are going to pay attention, and seeing dad pay attention and ask questions means that they will generally pay attention an ask question. I'm glad for this trend. I just don't have it in me to look after a group of people right now. 1 or 2 at a time tops.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
                                by jhjimbo
                                Why does Bubba constantly corrupt a post by inserting an irrelevant post that changes the thread. He does that all the time.
                                We were talking about...
                                Today, 02:32 AM
                              • Hey Folks
                                by jhjimbo
                                Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
                                Yesterday, 11:12 AM
                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by jhjimbo
                                People don't buy a mower without an engine, just like at the flea market tools without a power cord or battery don't sell too well....
                                Today, 02:27 AM
                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by 99explorer
                                I have found that a riding mower takes less of a toll on crippled people, but you get more exercise with a pushing style reel mower.
                                Just an ob...
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Folks
                                by franchi20
                                As other posted, the biter lives. It won't be forgotten that the dog's wrong doing was covered up as was the owner's....
                                Yesterday, 10:55 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X