Shed (antler) hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shed (antler) hunting

Been getting into shed hunting. Got a little fence set up and going to bait in front of it. Don't want to spend to much on food. So my thing is when is the prime time for bucks to lose their antlers. Thinking about doing this in end March beginning April ?

Got a buck in S.Ohio on 2/2 and it had already lost it's rack.

Comment

Depends. What part of the country are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
        Northeastern

Comment

Look anywhere a deer has to jump. Fences creeks ditches.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
            Most bucks should have dropped their antlers by mid-March, although a few usually hang onto them until close to April.

Comment

Not too many bucks will still have headgear by the end of March. Neighbors and I found 1/2 dozen sheds last weekend while cutting wood in Central WI. The last weekend in January seems to be the best every year for us. Throwing out bait this time of year is really bad for deer. Especially northern deer. Their digestive systems have switched to handling browse. There have been numerous cases of deer found dead with full stomachs of corn- because they can't digest it this time of year. I guess my point is, cages are great for southern climate deer, but could be hazardous for northern deer.

Comment

I've see deer without antlers in February, most of them in our area seemed to drop around the beginning of March. I've only found a few on accident and the man that leases our farm for the hayfield got one stuck in his tractor tire in March a few years ago. All of those instances were along fence lines the deer were jumping. Let us know how the antler trap you made works (I'm guessing that's what it is), they look like a good idea.

Comment

LOL
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gawnhuntn View Post
                    Not too many bucks will still have headgear by the end of March. Neighbors and I found 1/2 dozen sheds last weekend while cutting wood in Central WI. The last weekend in January seems to be the best every year for us. Throwing out bait this time of year is really bad for deer. Especially northern deer. Their digestive systems have switched to handling browse. There have been numerous cases of deer found dead with full stomachs of corn- because they can't digest it this time of year. I guess my point is, cages are great for southern climate deer, but could be hazardous for northern deer.
                    Who said I was throwing out corn. Haha it is a sweet mix for them so no I won't be killing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                      I've see deer without antlers in February, most of them in our area seemed to drop around the beginning of March. I've only found a few on accident and the man that leases our farm for the hayfield got one stuck in his tractor tire in March a few years ago. All of those instances were along fence lines the deer were jumping. Let us know how the antler trap you made works (I'm guessing that's what it is), they look like a good idea.
                      Yes it will be made into an antler trap most of the traps I see with fences are made into a v and bait goes into the middle of the v. Will let you know.

Comment

I have found a few. Never by fences or ditches. Middle of open fields or in major hardwood stands. Go figure.

Best was one that scored 90". That deer was found dead after deer season, 189 non typ. Yotes had him to bones, guys that found him couldn't tell if hit by car, old age, yotes or bullet. Saw that deer once, the yr before in late MZ (but had already bucked out). He was a TANK!

Comment

Baiting for deer hunting, baiting for antler traps.
                          I don't like either.
                          Went yote hunting today, looked a bit for sheds while out. None found.
                          Middle kid wants to go next weekend.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Do I Know ???
                            by jhjimbo
                            You are smoking some bad weed.
                            Today, 03:42 AM
                          • How Do I Know ???
                            by jhjimbo
                            How do I decide who to vote for in the November Election ? Easy, just look around at the squalor in the Cities that have been controlled (raped) by...
                            Yesterday, 12:03 PM
                            by 99explorer
                            To answer Rock Rat's question, I would say that Joe Biden would be the least objectionable candidate of the Democratic group.
                            In fact, he is the
                            Yesterday, 11:55 PM
                            by 99explorer
                            I'll say this for Rock Rat - I may not agree with him, but he has done a very thorough analysis, and has thought things through, which is more than I...
                            Yesterday, 11:32 PM
                            by jhjimbo
                            Rat, You are way off on your characterization of the candidates. In answer to your question there is not one I consider right for the Country at this...
                            Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X