Favorite turkey call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite turkey call?

Calling all turkey hunters. Anyone have any favorite calls? I have plenty, but i'm always looking for something new. If you have any favorites I would like to hear about them.

I just run a double reed diaphragm and a glass or aluminum slate.
    Had great luck using MAD slates way back but it appears their quality aint what it used to be. As for diaphragms.......MAD or HS, whatever is on sale.

Comment

Call#1 come and get it, Turkey's on the Table!!! Call#2 HONEY can you cut the Turkey NOW!!
      #3 Quaker Boy (Thunder) Box call & HS Crow call.

Comment

Box call primos box cutter easiest box call to use in my
        Opinion. And I use a primos battleship box call. I have an old MAD aluminum and an HS glass and a flextone slate. Different strikers make a world of difference. Mouth calls can't stand to use them.

Comment

The mouth call is the best call because there is no hand movement. Turkeys have eyes like telescopes.
          Attached Files

Comment

Like all game calling, I feel it is not the call but the caller that makes a difference. Like all game, turkeys have a language they use to communicate with each other. If you understand when to express what sound, your chances are better. I've had the good fortune to do most of my turkey hunting with a good friend who was a professional turkey caller for about 10 years. He won the annual state turkey calling contest in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina and spent years touring the U.S. representing big sporting goods stores on turkey seminars. He could talk a turkey out of its feathers with about any kind of call known to man.

I always let him do the calling so I never got very good at it myself. I agree with Gary that you have to prepare to minimize movement but that usually isn't a problem because you can usually quit calling when they get real close and focus your hands on your shotgun. I use a scratcher most often to make hen sounds but a box call is handy too for getting attention easily. I personally don't like the mouth calls because they just aren't as fun to operate but they are highly effective too. I think part of the fun of turkey calling is practicing with the various calls preparing for different situations like turkeys leaving the roost at sunup, spotting a long tom way out there, seeing a henned up tom with half a dozen hens, seeing a group of toms, etc.

Comment

I have 4 different mouth calls, those are my favorite by far. I like to run and gun turkeys and I can keep it in my mouth to call occasionally on the move. Also little movement to be detected with. I have a slate call too and it's a little more versatile (I have trouble purring from the mouth calls) but I don't use it much.

Comment

The only commercial call I use is the Woodhaven Red Wasp mouth caller (and I really, really like it). I use a scratch box that my father made 65 years ago and a locally made (Douglas Morgan of MS) slate pot call. I have a Woodhaven glass pot, but like the slate better. Trying to keep it simple.

Comment

I hunt rain or shine, as such rain/humidity/sweating can fog a slate. Love to run and gun on bigger ground...........so last couple yrs just a diaphragm call.

Took a while to get used to the stupid thing (way back). Had a good slate, best ever............which busted rather quickly. Also had a decent box call................gave that away. I get enough volume for the places I hunt, I don't need a box call.

They too can be damaged in a pack during rougher hunts (or smashed when gear tossed in truck).

Two diaphragm calls. One in a container, in vest/fanny pack. The other in my mouth. So far, never needed the backup one. Still toss a slate call in my pack.

Never know when my bud might need a call, or I don't feel well and want to forgo the mouth call.

I think turkey calling way overrated. If they're in the mood, they're in the mood. And if people have been practice calling in the area a month before season, you're proly gonna have to bushwack 'em.

I've seen toms on roost to 9:30 am, with hens under. If he's got the ladies you're pretty much hosed. Did have some hens mad at my hen deke, and they left the tom to give her heck, he followed.........to the point HV4's crushed his skull.

If those hens weren't aggressive/curious........never would have gotten him off that ridge.

Comment

I like the old-fashioned nature of boxes and slates, and usually start out the season with both in my pack, and mouth-calls in my shirt pocket, and always end up just using the mouth calls. Usually by the third time I go out, all I take are the mouth calls, just to pare down the clutter. Same reason I don't use decoys anymore; too much baggage (plus the fact that I got to depend on them too much).

Comment

Favorite? Wing bone yelper!
                      Back up is a "Heart of Dixie" slate with a HS Strut carbon striker.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I use quite a few different ones, but my standbys are a walnut/poplar box call, and 2 pot calls, one with a slate surface and the other with a aluminum one. All made by me. I buy the unfinished components from Brookside Game Calls, and assemble and finish them myself. I also use a couple of wingbones. Not sure what I would pick as my favorite. The box call is great for its sound, but the pots are extremely versatile. I don't use diaphragms, both because I have a strong gag reflex and because I just don't care for the sound.

I love calling turkeys, but admit that calls are somewhat overrated. If the gobbler wants to come to your location, just about anything that sounds like a turkey will work. And if he doesn't want to come to you, the best caller in the world will most likely fail.

Comment

I mostly use a Lynch box call I bought back in the '80's. I'll agree with others that most success is usually about the tom's mood, but that call will hands down get responses when they are ignoring other calls. Has happened way too many times to be a coincidence. If I'm shooting, I will finish them off with a mouth call, usually just to get them to stick their head up,

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad