Beginner Crossbow hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Crossbow hunting

I've practiced a ton with my crossbow in and out of my treestand, I've become a pretty darn good shot but I'm not sure that I've got all I need to know to start hunting. So any advice for eastern coyote hunting like some basic fundamentals would be awesome!

jmo~ Your hunting coyotes with a X-Bow with a 40-45yd max-range from a t-stand will you have a firearm also for the 60-70yd shot. just asking.

Comment

Coyotes with a xbow is a challenging endeavor. good luck.

Comment

It's doable. I've hunted coyotes in timber with a shotgun a few times, and shot one with my bow from a treestand once during deer season- similar ranges to what you'll have. You'll want a call for sure, try to set up where you can't see further than your max range. Coyotes have good eyesight and you don't want them busting you before they come into range.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
          jmo~ Your hunting coyotes with a X-Bow with a 40-45yd max-range from a t-stand will you have a firearm also for the 60-70yd shot. just asking.
          No, I wont (?• ?? ?•)

Comment

Practice from the shooting height the treestand will be. For archery, I could get on a section of roof where I worked at lunch time to shoot down on targets at various distances.
            You must have a lot of coyotes if you think you can be successful with a X-bow from a tree stand. Good luck, let us know how you do - take pictures. Where are you located? Jim

Comment

Don't know if you read outdoorlife.com, too, but right now there's an article on the front page about coyote hunting basics.

Comment

Don't know if you read outdoorlife.com, too, but right now there's an article on the front page about coyote hunting basics.

Comment

I would encourage you to use a gun, if you can. Coyote hunting is hard enough, using a bow makes it even tougher.

Comment

We've shot a few along our creekbottom, from our deer stands.
                    Usually during deer hunting, but have also called them in on purpose.
                    I prefer a rifle, even though I did take one from the ground, with a recurve....at a bit over 40 yards (he spooked the doe I was set up on- would have been my first recurve deer.........I shoot pretty decent when I'm honked off).

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                      I would encourage you to use a gun, if you can. Coyote hunting is hard enough, using a bow makes it even tougher.
                      Don't tell Tim Wells that! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT1-GvgZWmg

Comment

Coyote calling from a tree stand is quite doable. I've had them come so close that one actually put his nose on the end of my gun barrel to take a sniff. I watched my brother be surprised by two that were peering down at his hat as he hunkered behind a fallen tree looking the other way. From a tree, I once reached my gun barrel down from a tree to put the muzzle right ahead of his eyes to avoid pelt damage. They do this a lot easier in the middle of the night than in daylight but it still works. I've found they don't look up nearly as much as deer but of course you will have to avoid all movement to get them close. Use a moving decoy about 10 yards from your stand. I rarely use a stand for coyotes because I like to make about half a dozen locations in a morning. I have the best luck at 2:00 AM under a full moon but early morning and late evening are pretty good too. Get out of your stand and move to another location if nothing arrives within 20 minutes. Don't overdo the call. They will remember exactly where the sound came from even if they were a mile or two away when the squeal occurred.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad