No announcement yet.

Public Land Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a buddy who's been down here since last May, talked to him this and he said often times people run dogs on deer in the national forest. I'd like to try that one day just for the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
      For bowhunting look for water, pond or creeks, and edges wood/thicket or wood/field. Then find the acorns. For gun get between two fairly close thickets, up in a stand will work better than ground for this, and ambush them as they dodge other hunters. Opening day will probably be like world of Warcraft to the deer and they'll run thicket to thicket dodging and catching their breath. Forget the scents and calls in this scenario just stay sharp. I also advise using something that'll put them down fairly quickly as possession is 10/10ths of the law.
      One side of the oaks is the road, the other side is a large open field that I'm sure gets a lot of pressure, the other side of the field is more pines for a few hundred yards and then a road.

Comment

I've never hunted public land but in my part of the country (western Arkansas) the state has planted a lot of food plots in the Ozark national forests. A good friend of mine is in charge of the plots and he kills big deer every year up there. He gave me a map of the plots and said if I needed to get to the farthest ones from any roads or houses if I wanted to see a lot of game. I have never made it up there, but if the state that your hunting in plants food plots I'd say you need to find somebody who knows where the food plots are and hunt them.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
          For bowhunting look for water, pond or creeks, and edges wood/thicket or wood/field. Then find the acorns. For gun get between two fairly close thickets, up in a stand will work better than ground for this, and ambush them as they dodge other hunters. Opening day will probably be like world of Warcraft to the deer and they'll run thicket to thicket dodging and catching their breath. Forget the scents and calls in this scenario just stay sharp. I also advise using something that'll put them down fairly quickly as possession is 10/10ths of the law.
          Look along the edge of the field for signs of a trail where the deer cross from the pines to the oaks. If you find one, make a ground blind 20yds off to the side of the trail just on the edge of the field. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
            More details: state, species?
            Greenhead has given you some really good advice. Finding the places that other hunters don't go is the key. The fact that the area is big, is a good thing. Small areas mean that deer seek refuge on private land nearby. Go where you don't want to! One other thought: If you ever get snow in that area (probably not common), that would be a perfect time to run all over that area and get a sense for where the deer are. You'll scratch a lot of country off that way.

Comment

I've hunted some public ground for deer, gone way the heck off the road too.....only to find no deer, or end up on a road that wasn't on the map, with somebody else hunting right there.

Funny, walking all the way back to my truck, more than once..........the deer were right by the parking lot.

Go figure.

Comment

I'll be on public this weekend, hunting yotes. Other users will either screw us up, or move them to us. We've had success before, and it's a pretty place..........worth going no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                  I've hunted some public ground for deer, gone way the heck off the road too.....only to find no deer, or end up on a road that wasn't on the map, with somebody else hunting right there.

Funny, walking all the way back to my truck, more than once..........the deer were right by the parking lot.

Go figure.
                  I've seen this before too, many times

Comment

Originally posted by steve182 View Post
                    I hunt whitetails primarily on public land in NJ and PA. If memory serves me you are in the Carolinas? Those pine forests are tough. We have them in NJ too but we also have lots of hardwoods mixed in. I would look for edges or breaks in the habitat. As mentioned earlier, food is king, find oaks, find the deer. In that really thick briary stuff, hunt logging roads that offer visibilty and ease of travel for you and the deer. If you can find any terrain variations I like to hunt them too. In flat areas any elevation change is a spot that catches my eye.
                    I've traveled to the Carolinas several times, but never hunted there. \What about marsh edges? The deer travel freely on the marsh and eat the salt grasses, bayberry, greenbriars and even poison ivy. Trails are easy to find because its muddy and the trails in and out of the foilage are like tunnels. Ticks and chiggers a problem though.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenhead View Post
                      The biggest thing is you want to hunt the places other people are too lazy to go. It is a LOT more work, but it pays off. My strategy is a variation on what Randy Newberg teaches. Instead of looking for places to focus on, I first try to eliminate as much as possible.
                      Depending on how big the area is, I sit down with the map and cross off everything close to a road. Depending on how close together the roads are, this might be everything within half a mile, or a mile of the road.
                      Next, I will cross everything that can be easily accessed from a marked trail.
                      Any areas that can be accessed by a walk across flat, open ground gets marked off.
                      Usually, this strategy will eliminate most of the area you are looking at and you can narrow it down. I then start looking at places that have something else that would keep people out. The areas you described as “virtually inaccessible” sound perfect. I would definitely focus on those. I would also look at places that you can’t access without crossing a creek or river. Bringing along waders isn’t much work, but it eliminates nearly all of your competition. The other things that eliminate areas are just distance and terrain. If it is a really long walk, or really difficult walking, most people will skip it.
                      Only at this point to I look for areas that seem attractive to my game. Just getting away from people does 90% of the work.
                      One of my favorite places to hunt has a system of horse/hiking trails that are loose sand. I take a mountain bike with huge tires that can handle that stuff and get several miles in. Nobody walks that far, and most bikes can’t ride the trail, to keep out the few people who hunt from bikes.
                      I have biked in several miles too. During rifle season, I like to get in far well before light and let hunters push the deer my way. i never biked in that far to Archery hunt, but it's still on my list.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Many Died
                        by CD2
                        Drug addicts are like drowning people.
                        They will probably pull you under if you get close to try and save them.
                        They are pulling society down...
                        Today, 02:38 AM
                      • How Many Died
                        by jhjimbo
                        On Tucker Carlson last night he said 750,000 died from Opioid overdose in a ten year period. More then WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam, combined.
                        01-16-2020, 11:04 AM
                      • Reply to How Many Died
                        by CD2
                        You are right, back in the day, 30 yrs or so ago, a guy could be a bit of a dumbarse and clean himself up, get a factory job or education and be civilized/normal....
                        Today, 02:36 AM
                      • Reply to How Many Died
                        by CD2
                        Kids today, most of them, have way over inflated egos.
                        Mommy and daddy have told them they're special, when they aren't.
                        Social media warps...
                        Today, 02:22 AM
                      • Reply to How Many Died
                        by CD2
                        Blue collar town.
                        Urbans and hillbillies (democrats).
                        There are some good kids.
                        But the public school system has mostly liberal teachers/admins...
                        Today, 02:18 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X