No announcement yet.

Why the Electoral College works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the solution to the illegals voting is to have mandatory voter I.D. in all the States. There is no reason not to demand it, I need a I.D. when I go to the Library or
    the Doctors office.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
      Tough one, but I disagree. I fully recognize that the electoral college can help rural interests be better represented and not get buried by urban voters. However, that important aspect of our government is already ensured by the U.S. Senate. I believe that in a presidential election, when we all decide on who our leader will be, the vote of every American should be equal in weight.
      The Electoral College was created by our forefathers with an amazing amount of forethought. Clearly it is more relevant today then it was in their time and it performed exactly as it was intended in this election. The will of the voters in NYC and Cali have no correlation to the will most of America. Thanks be to God.

Comment

Originally posted by Grazing Bit View Post
        I agree about the Electoral College. It prevents the will of one specific region from overpowering the national will.
        NYC and California don't represent the will of the voters in the rest of the country. This played out this year as they were the only areas where Billary won really.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          34% of the nation’s 67,980,000 million people who receive welfare live in California, and California has only 12% of the entire U.S. population [Fed stats].This means:  23,113,200 million welfare recipients live in California. 39,487,345 million people total live in California. [more welfare recipients than workers] According to stats, Clinton beat Trump in CA by 2,708,893, so you could say she didn't do that well in California!  here are the facts:Trump led in the total popular vote for all states except California. Hillary won California 5,860,714 to Trump’s 3,151,821.  61.6% to 33.1% exclusive of the other candidates.  [a margin of 2,708,893]Thus, California gave Hillary the popular vote for all states as claimed by the Democrats and their media stooges. But, deduct her California vote from her national vote, leaving her with 59,264,114, and deduct Trump’s California vote from his national total, leaving him with 59,500,442.So, in effect, Hillary was elected president of California and Trump was elected president of the rest of the country.This exemplifies the wisdom of the Electoral College, to prevent the vote of any one populace state from overriding the vote of the others.  Trump’s Campaign Manager, Kellyanne Conway, whose expertise is polling, saw this early on and devised her strategy of “6 pathways to the White House”.  This meant ignoring California with its huge Democrat majority and going after the states that would give him the necessary Electoral votes to win: FL, NC, MI, PA, OH, and WI.  It worked and our country Will Be Secure - after January 20, 2017.One other tidbit: California is one of 11 “welfare states” where there are more people living off the government dole than there are working for a living. This is an example of those who vote (instead of work) for a living.Since they have some time on their hands, they are, most likely, also the ones who have time to “protest,” This shows that without the electoral college, four states would choose our President. 
          Looks like in future Elections, those on Welfare should not be allowed to vote, thus preventing them from determining the outcome of an Election and giving themselves a raise.
          Jimbo,
          Rudyglove got top ten point user list removed from the website by abusing the system. Your going to be responsible for getting the Top Answer removed from our profiles. The Intent of the Editors is to give the best or top answer to another user who submitted the best or top answer. I do not believe the Editors place it there for users to give themselves the top answer. Don't distroyed a good thing,
          I enjoy giving other users who answer my thread the best or top answer. I hate to lose It.

Comment

I agree with upholding the system of the electoral college. Not sure if I agree with voter ID measures. Not a matter of principle, but is the benefit worth the cost? In my opinion the few instances of voter fraud don't necessitate spending millions of dollars. Money better spent elsewhere, or not spent and saved imo.

Comment

34% of the nation’s 67,980,000 million people who receive welfare live in California, and California has only 12% of the entire U.S. population [Fed stats].This means:  23,113,200 million welfare recipients live in California. 39,487,345 million people total live in California. [more welfare recipients than workers] According to stats, Clinton beat Trump in CA by 2,708,893, so you could say she didn't do that well in California!  here are the facts:Trump led in the total popular vote for all states except California. Hillary won California 5,860,714 to Trump’s 3,151,821.  61.6% to 33.1% exclusive of the other candidates.  [a margin of 2,708,893]Thus, California gave Hillary the popular vote for all states as claimed by the Democrats and their media stooges. But, deduct her California vote from her national vote, leaving her with 59,264,114, and deduct Trump’s California vote from his national total, leaving him with 59,500,442.So, in effect, Hillary was elected president of California and Trump was elected president of the rest of the country.This exemplifies the wisdom of the Electoral College, to prevent the vote of any one populace state from overriding the vote of the others.  Trump’s Campaign Manager, Kellyanne Conway, whose expertise is polling, saw this early on and devised her strategy of “6 pathways to the White House”.  This meant ignoring California with its huge Democrat majority and going after the states that would give him the necessary Electoral votes to win: FL, NC, MI, PA, OH, and WI.  It worked and our country Will Be Secure - after January 20, 2017.One other tidbit: California is one of 11 “welfare states” where there are more people living off the government dole than there are working for a living. This is an example of those who vote (instead of work) for a living.Since they have some time on their hands, they are, most likely, also the ones who have time to “protest,” This shows that without the electoral college, four states would choose our President. 
              Looks like in future Elections, those on Welfare should not be allowed to vote, thus preventing them from determining the outcome of an Election and giving themselves a raise.
              If you don't select it , it get buried way down in the posts and not everybody scrolls all the way through the posts, the site does not keep top ten anything any more.

Comment

Tough one, but I disagree. I fully recognize that the electoral college can help rural interests be better represented and not get buried by urban voters. However, that important aspect of our government is already ensured by the U.S. Senate. I believe that in a presidential election, when we all decide on who our leader will be, the vote of every American should be equal in weight.
                Democrats don't lie and cheat any more than Republicans do (and they both do plenty). You make it sound as if there's something fundamentally wrong with people in urban areas. They're still people. They have the same worth as someone like myself, who lives in rural America. They've just chosen to live in a certain area. Let's not forget that most of us have a choice in where we live. If there are certain areas of the country that tend to draw more people, why should they be politically punished? Let's also not forget that there are plenty of urban areas that tend to vote Republican. Why do NYC and LA get punished because they happen to be the biggest? A choice to live in an area with a strong economy and lots of jobs, etc. does not mean that your judgement on political issues should be called into question. A popular vote would make every politician care about every state. Right now, the whole thing hinges on 7 or 8 states and if you're not in one of those, it's easy to think that you don't matter. When you live in Ohio, or Florida, you know that you matter! I want everyone to feel that way. And the fact that the places where people's votes are worth less, happen to be some of the most ethnically diverse areas... Just makes me think (uncomfortably) of the 3/5 compromise. Don't even get me started on the fact that Washington D.C. has no real representation in the House, or Senate, despite the fact that it has a bigger population that Wyoming, or Vermont. Or the ridiculous way in which certain states have so much more power than others in primary elections. Or, the fact that we make it so damn hard for people to vote in many states. I think our election system is broken. Our goal should be a system that makes it easy for every single eligible person to cast a ballot and to feel like it's worthwhile for them to do so. One person: One vote.

Comment

I doubt that there has been a Republican presidential candidate, since Reagan, who has not ignored California and focused elsewhere. Hardly an original, or brilliant thought for Ms. Conway.

Comment

Jim, I do not agree with that, because most of us read all the answers before posted our comment. Most of us do not want to be redundant. I read from the bottom comments upward.
                    You can put everything you printed in this thread in the very top question. Therefore it stays on the very top.
                    Try it because it works. I have done it without any problem. I used multiple photos, a long written post with my question all within the top posting.

Comment

I think I see what you are saying and will try it next time I post.
                      The site has been slow on hunting and fishing but if it picks up I won't be putting any
                      political posts on the site.
                      BTW, I think most people read from the top posts down, I know I do. Sometimes I don't even get to the bottom and usually skip over the ones that are extended diatribes. A 50 or 100 word post is plenty for most subjects - IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisco-hunter View Post
                        I agree with upholding the system of the electoral college. Not sure if I agree with voter ID measures. Not a matter of principle, but is the benefit worth the cost? In my opinion the few instances of voter fraud don't necessitate spending millions of dollars. Money better spent elsewhere, or not spent and saved imo.
                        George W. Bush beat Al Gore by carrying Florida, and he won that by a little over 500 votes. Food for thought.

Comment

Just as urban areas make gun ownership almost impossible, thereby limiting a Constitutional right, urban areas require ID for everything EXCEPT voting. DC is Constitutionally prevented from participating in the Congress because it is a Government entity, not having a reason for existing as anything other than a sterile home for the Federal Government. Even FDR recognized the folly of having Government workers being unionized. Perhaps we can end that foolish practice soon.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                            I agree, the Electoral College is better than just going with the popular vote. The Founding Fathers got it right on this one.
                            They got it right quite a few times. Love the Electoral College.

Comment

Here is how the country would look without the electoral college:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Do I Know ???
                                by jhjimbo
                                You are smoking some bad weed.
                                Today, 03:42 AM
                              • How Do I Know ???
                                by jhjimbo
                                How do I decide who to vote for in the November Election ? Easy, just look around at the squalor in the Cities that have been controlled (raped) by...
                                Yesterday, 12:03 PM
                                by 99explorer
                                To answer Rock Rat's question, I would say that Joe Biden would be the least objectionable candidate of the Democratic group.
                                In fact, he is the
                                Yesterday, 11:55 PM
                                by 99explorer
                                I'll say this for Rock Rat - I may not agree with him, but he has done a very thorough analysis, and has thought things through, which is more than I...
                                Yesterday, 11:32 PM
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rat, You are way off on your characterization of the candidates. In answer to your question there is not one I consider right for the Country at this...
                                Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X