Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Electoral College works

Here is a look at the results

34% of the nation’s 67,980,000 million people who receive welfare live in California, and California has only 12% of the entire U.S. population [Fed stats].This means:  23,113,200 million welfare recipients live in California. 39,487,345 million people total live in California. [more welfare recipients than workers] According to stats, Clinton beat Trump in CA by 2,708,893, so you could say she didn't do that well in California!  here are the facts:Trump led in the total popular vote for all states except California. Hillary won California 5,860,714 to Trump’s 3,151,821.  61.6% to 33.1% exclusive of the other candidates.  [a margin of 2,708,893]Thus, California gave Hillary the popular vote for all states as claimed by the Democrats and their media stooges. But, deduct her California vote from her national vote, leaving her with 59,264,114, and deduct Trump’s California vote from his national total, leaving him with 59,500,442.So, in effect, Hillary was elected president of California and Trump was elected president of the rest of the country.This exemplifies the wisdom of the Electoral College, to prevent the vote of any one populace state from overriding the vote of the others.  Trump’s Campaign Manager, Kellyanne Conway, whose expertise is polling, saw this early on and devised her strategy of “6 pathways to the White House”.  This meant ignoring California with its huge Democrat majority and going after the states that would give him the necessary Electoral votes to win: FL, NC, MI, PA, OH, and WI.  It worked and our country Will Be Secure - after January 20, 2017.One other tidbit: California is one of 11 “welfare states” where there are more people living off the government dole than there are working for a living. This is an example of those who vote (instead of work) for a living.Since they have some time on their hands, they are, most likely, also the ones who have time to “protest,” This shows that without the electoral college, four states would choose our President. 
    Looks like in future Elections, those on Welfare should not be allowed to vote, thus preventing them from determining the outcome of an Election and giving themselves a raise.

Comment

I agree about the Electoral College. It prevents the will of one specific region from overpowering the national will.

Comment

Great post Jhjimbo. I'm not a big Trump supporter but he's my president now so I am rooting for his and our success.

Comment

I agree, the Electoral College is better than just going with the popular vote. The Founding Fathers got it right on this one.

Comment

Tough one, but I disagree. I fully recognize that the electoral college can help rural interests be better represented and not get buried by urban voters. However, that important aspect of our government is already ensured by the U.S. Senate. I believe that in a presidential election, when we all decide on who our leader will be, the vote of every American should be equal in weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
              Tough one, but I disagree. I fully recognize that the electoral college can help rural interests be better represented and not get buried by urban voters. However, that important aspect of our government is already ensured by the U.S. Senate. I believe that in a presidential election, when we all decide on who our leader will be, the vote of every American should be equal in weight.
              As I understand it, the Electoral College is supposed to ensure that all regions of the country have an equal say in who becomes president. Practically-speaking, isn't that pretty much the same thing as every person's vote being equal? Without the EC, voters in heavily-populated areas would have more influence in the outcome of the election - i.e., their votes would have more weight. Maybe that's completely incorrect, but it's how I see it.

Comment

Another way to look at it is that the electoral college vote eliminates the advantage of an "overkill" vote in big states. Al Gore beat George W. Bush in the popular vote in 2000, with large overkill margins in states like New York, but lost in Florida by a little more than 500 votes.

Comment

Urban areas have a high incedence of illegal voting. More votes are cast than regestered voters. I enjoy the Electoral College giving the less populated areas in the country a role a great thing. Places where kids can carry a knife in school should still have a vote in America in 2017 as they did in 1960.

Comment

A very well thoughtout point, the one thing I don't get is the dings? When did having a point of view on this site warrant a ding, you did not insult anyone, all you did is make an educated statement. To you dingers your cowards!

Comment

That's also not including the absentee votes. Those only get counted if the margin of victory is less than the number of absentee ballots. I believe New Hampshire is the only state that had to count them in this election (feel free to fact check me I may have that wrong). And the majority of absentee votes are usually conservative, meaning trump likely could've gotten the popular vote had those been counted.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
                        Tammany Hall and Chicago's Machine are still a factor in America today. Without the Electoral College rural America would have to beat the urban areas by 30% just to stay even. The Democrats lie and they cheat and they own urban America.

Comment

If we just had the popular vote it will come down to who could win the states with the largest populations. Most of the states wouldn't matter

Comment

One thing we have to remember about the Electoral College is that, above all else, it's a compromise. Some wanted the president to elected by representatives, others by popular vote. The Elctoral College is a good bridge in between that gap and offer good benefits besides.
                            I think it could also be seen as a sort of a compromise between the systems of our two legislative house (representation based on population [House] and equal representation regardless of population [Senate]), if that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                              That's also not including the absentee votes. Those only get counted if the margin of victory is less than the number of absentee ballots. I believe New Hampshire is the only state that had to count them in this election (feel free to fact check me I may have that wrong). And the majority of absentee votes are usually conservative, meaning trump likely could've gotten the popular vote had those been counted.
                              Sometimes they don't count absentee if they would not affect the outcome of the election.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Turkey Hunting Newbie
                                by MattM37
                                The only new thing I can add to what the other guys said is, After you pattern and find your most effective load, choke, and range, make sure you can...
                                Today, 01:32 PM
                              • Turkey Hunting Newbie
                                by Big5ully9
                                I am looking to do some Rio Grande turkey hunting this spring at Black Kettle WMA in Oklahoma. I have a Remington 870 Express that I want to use. What...
                                Yesterday, 04:14 PM
                              • Reply to 40 year old rookie
                                by Danbo
                                I started hunting when I got married the wife’s family got me started
                                Today, 01:19 PM
                              • 40 year old rookie
                                by Coach79
                                Anyone else out there get into hunting later in life? I started in September of 2019 at age 40, and shot my first deer last week with a crossbow. So....
                                Yesterday, 09:12 AM
                              • Reply to Get Off Social Media
                                by Danbo
                                Foreign governments have always spent money to influence elections not just Russia ! 99 do you fish?
                                Today, 01:17 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X