Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's your favorite field and stream artist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    Looks like the mail carrier surrounded by wolves has to reload.
    Looks like he already did and it wasn't easy: seven dead wolves and his right hand is chewed up. Another lefty. DEP would enjoy this one.

Comment

Wyeth illustrated the 1942 Scribner & Son's complete set of Robert Louis Stevenson's works. My mom's grandmother gave her Treasure Island, Kidnapped, and Child's Garden of Verses. The last two disappeared over the years but the copy of Treasure Island, though badly damaged by her flock of careless boys, is still at the family home in Montana. Some of those images were pretty scary for a little kid back in those times! Captain Billy Bones was the lead off illustration. Wyeth captured perfectly a bloodthirsty pirate captain on the run and watching his back. His image of Blind Pew who gave Bones the Black Spot actually gave me nightmares ... no kidding! Yesterday I picked up Stevenson's Kidnapped and David Balflour in perfect condition at a local book store thinking they must be reprints. Nope, the real thing. Too bad I tore the binding's cover image on Balflour trying to remove the gawdam price sticker. Great stories and great illustrations. Stevenson died way too young.

Correction to my thread. Wyeth illustrated early 20th century publications. He died in 1945.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is an oldie-but-goodie I remember seeing when it was first published.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          Looks like the mail carrier surrounded by wolves has to reload.
          Neither rain nor sleet, nor hail nor packs of wolves...

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
            I like F&S Artist Philip Goodwin.
            Let's see if we can ID the rifles. From the ammo on the belt the top one appears to be a 45-70 lever action. Probably a Winchester Model 1886. Second image hunter is obviously using a Remington Model 8 ... hopefully 35 Remington. Any other calibre and he's in trouble! The bottom image is actually a bolt action. I found a clearer image from a 1926 Winchester calendar so that gives a few hints. It appears to be a Model 54 which was introduced the previous year. For this situation probably the best calibre of those offered would have been 30-06 (though .35 Whelen was available special order).

Comment

I found a couple black bear prints by Artist Philip Goodwin.
              Attached Files

Comment

Never paid attention to the artist. Art like that didn't appear in the magazines when I first stated reading them. But those old prints live on in Tim signs nowadays. When I see them I still get lost just thinking about what inspired those prints or who.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  That mail carrier killed 8 attacking wolves with a colt SA. Not bad, I guess they waited for him to reload?
                  He was actually using and old H&R 9 shot .22 revolver.

Comment

Gary: The bottom picture does not appear to be moose hunters but rather loggers. Note the saw logs in the river and cant hook in the bowman's hands.

Comment

It was a revelation to me when I discovered who it was that had painted those illustrations that were in the books I grew up with. I was more familiar with the other Wyeth. I can't compare him to Russell or Remington as I like them all so much.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                        Here is an oldie-but-goodie I remember seeing when it was first published.
                        I remember seeing that Large Poster on the wall of a sport shop.Edelman's Sporting Goods in Farmingdale.LI. NY.

Comment

That mail carrier killed 8 attacking wolves with a colt SA. Not bad, I guess they waited for him to reload?
                          I don't know which is more unbelievable, him having time to reload, or killing 8 wolves with a .22. Lol

Comment

I liked how Bob Kuhn used different perspectives. When Leon Parsons deer prints became Outdoor Life covers I got hooked on his art. Love Lynn Bogue Hunts vivid colors and since I'll always be a bird man at heart got to mention David Maass.
                            It seems today's wildlife artists' techniques for realism have almost exceeded reality. I'm guessing it has something to do with better materials to work with? My French Brittany is often fooled by the large DU drumming ruff grouse print hanging over the couch by Daniel Smith. It's been there longer than she has been alive and yet she still stares at often, expecting the bird to jump out.

Comment

I don't know who the artist was, but I always liked the sketches that came with the original Taps Tips column, and in issues before the mid-70s, Tapply's "Sportsman's Notes" page. I also like the Tom Hennessey sketches that are at the beginning of each chapter of the Gene Hill books.

Comment

Your correct Honk, they are loggers. The black bear shown above is facing the hunters.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Turkey Hunting Newbie
                                  by MattM37
                                  The only new thing I can add to what the other guys said is, After you pattern and find your most effective load, choke, and range, make sure you can...
                                  Today, 01:32 PM
                                • Turkey Hunting Newbie
                                  by Big5ully9
                                  I am looking to do some Rio Grande turkey hunting this spring at Black Kettle WMA in Oklahoma. I have a Remington 870 Express that I want to use. What...
                                  Yesterday, 04:14 PM
                                • Reply to 40 year old rookie
                                  by Danbo
                                  I started hunting when I got married the wife’s family got me started
                                  Today, 01:19 PM
                                • 40 year old rookie
                                  by Coach79
                                  Anyone else out there get into hunting later in life? I started in September of 2019 at age 40, and shot my first deer last week with a crossbow. So....
                                  Yesterday, 09:12 AM
                                • Reply to Get Off Social Media
                                  by Danbo
                                  Foreign governments have always spent money to influence elections not just Russia ! 99 do you fish?
                                  Today, 01:17 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X