Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your definition of a true hunter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got to agree with Gary. To me hunting is all about getting into nature, experiencing what a lot of people will never will and being in God's beautiful creation. The meat is just a bonus to me. I don't think being a true hunter means you have to be a meat hunter or trophy hunter or any of those things. Being a true hunter in my opinion is about having respect for the game you pursue and appreciating anything you're able to harvest, and doing all this in a humane and ethical way. What's ethical is a completely different topic we've all come across many times and it really varies by person. For me I don't like hunting over bait, food plots etc, I like to try to figure out the animals instead of drawing them to me. To me that's the most fullfilling hunt because I know I had to outsmart the animals, but to others their favorite hunt may be a relaxing sit in a box blind with a feeder and there's nothing wrong with that! A true hunter has no one form, keep that in mind in your essay, good luck with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
      Seems like you kinda summed it yourself. And for some folks it's not about hunting it's about spending time with family and friends away from the hustle and bustle of rest of the world. I took my daughter this weekend for the first time. Well first time she carried a rifle and was serious. She didn't get one but we both enjoyed ourselves and it made memories that will last lifetime. I have grandsons that I'm chomping at the bit to take and pass along the traditions. For me it's about teaching the youngins things they can't learn in school or off them dang phones. You can learn a lot in the woods about life if you pay attention to what your doing. And enjoy the whole experience. I just got done cutting up backstraps from the buck I got on thanksgiving evening. It's a very satisfying feeling to see a pile freshly cut meat that you know where it came and you went and got it. Hunting is not something not everyone can do. And being a good hunter has little do with big horns or antlers. I take pride in being able able to get close to quarry. I also take pride in being a good shot. Be it close or far away. It gives you something to work on and improve challenge yourself to be better. For most of who do it I'm going to quote another user. " hunting is not something that I do a hunter is who I am." I'm not really sure how to put into words I'm not a writer. But there are some other guys on here who can describe it better than I can. Good luck with trying to argue with a liberal. If your teacher is anti-hunting show him a slaughter house video. Doesn't matter who pulls the trigger if you eat you are the cause of its death. At least I. The woods the animals are relaxed not standing in a line watching the one before go.
      Why thank you. I'm a better orator. Than writer.

Comment

A true hunter or sportsman is about a lot of things.

1. Ethics - often we are alone in the field and the only thing holding us accountable for doing the right thing is our own personal ethics.
        2. Responsibility - we are solely responsible for each decision we make, there is no one else there to share the blame nor the glory.
        3. Fair chase and respect for the animal - It is not about killing an animal. The killing on an animal is simply one small piece. We respect the animal by creating a fair and ethical hunt where the advantage belongs to the animal. We respect the animal by taking only ethical shots that lead to a clean and quick kill with minimal suffering. We respect the animal by utilizing every part that we can.
        4. Respect for the environment - we respect the wilderness and the environment by leaving it better and cleaner than we found it.
        5. Teaching - more important then everything else is to pass these traditions and values on to the younger generations. If a young hunter learns these values and never spends another day in the woods they are still better off for it as these values extend to everyday life outside of the woods.

There are so many things that most of us all enjoy about hunting. When asked what your favorite thing about hunting is I don't know a single person that would say "killing stuff". Most will say they most enjoy the woods waking up in the morning, the cool dark walk into the woods, the sun setting over the pond, the time spent with family and carrying on traditions, or simply watching the squirrels do all the weird things that squirrels do. Hunting is about so much more than the kill but no hunters may never know that without experiencing it. They focus on the 30 seconds at the end of the journey and ignore the 4 months that might have led up to that 30 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
          I've got to agree with Gary. To me hunting is all about getting into nature, experiencing what a lot of people will never will and being in God's beautiful creation. The meat is just a bonus to me. I don't think being a true hunter means you have to be a meat hunter or trophy hunter or any of those things. Being a true hunter in my opinion is about having respect for the game you pursue and appreciating anything you're able to harvest, and doing all this in a humane and ethical way. What's ethical is a completely different topic we've all come across many times and it really varies by person. For me I don't like hunting over bait, food plots etc, I like to try to figure out the animals instead of drawing them to me. To me that's the most fullfilling hunt because I know I had to outsmart the animals, but to others their favorite hunt may be a relaxing sit in a box blind with a feeder and there's nothing wrong with that! A true hunter has no one form, keep that in mind in your essay, good luck with it!
          Thanks Outlaw while we are describing hunting this came to mind. I remember back when bear hunting started up in New Jersey after a 32 year closed season. A New Jersey animal rights activist said this in the local newspaper reporter, and it was printed in the paper in the newspaper the following day.
          "All hunters are fat, lazy, beer drinking, rednecks with ugly pick-up trucks".
          I never forgot that.

Comment

Possibly the best and most ridiculous anti-hunting statement I've heard lol. Because you must be fat and lazy to drag a deer miles out of the woods. I know several doctors and lawyers that hunt, clearly rednecks. And I happen to think trucks are quite attractive (and far more useful than a Camry). The beer I have no argument...

Comment

I posted the same statement from that animal rights wacko years ago on this website and 99explorer stated "that describes most of the hunters I know". That was funny and nobody dinged him. ROTFLMAO

Comment

Originally posted by Huntress308788 View Post
                Y'all have absolutely made my day! I got chill bumps reading all of your comments. I believe I nodded my head to everyone of your answers lol. I love to connect with people that are on the same "wave length". In today's society, we are the peculiar people, the hunters, that fact makes me proud to know that if something ever happens to this world and food/meat stops becoming "magic" we will be the ones that survive. God bless y'all and again, thank you kindly for your insight and perspective. Oh and most importantly.. happy hunting!!
                I agree wholeheartedly with your comment. We should never have to explain ourselves to anyone. If I like to sneak into the dark woods at 6am and wait for an animal to make its appearance and they like to wake at 6am to workout and eat their poached eggs and avocado (which I've tried being that savvy..no thanks lol) then do what makes you happy! Isn't that whole issue these days? Everyone should accept everyone despite their habits and hobbies? That is a perfect world I believe.
                My speech went very well! I got a lot of feedback on both sides of the discussion. I was very respectable to the ones that didn't agree with me but they didn't really have an argument about why we should hunt our own food other than "I just couldn't kill an animal". I see their point, killing an animal (I am a huge animal lover/rescuer/advocate) its a huge responsibility to take a life but I personally know that I am not killing for thrill, to me that is the worst part knowing I ended something but as soon as I give my thanks, field dress and haul it back to the house I know solidly that this animal was created and died for a purpose. I referred back to my message in the speech about that and then she semi understood the importance of being a hunter or learning to hunt. Anyways, the essay is still in the works, its due Wednesday. It should be a big hit too lol.
                Good day!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Fish Cookery
                  by MattM37
                  My grandpa raised pigs and grandma always had lard. I was still pretty small when she passed on but I still remember watching her rendering it, or...
                  Today, 06:16 PM
                • Fish Cookery
                  by MattM37
                  What are some of your favorite fish meals? Sides?

I like pan-fried trout, scored and seasoned with just salt and pepper or maybe Lawry's...
                  Today, 02:54 PM
                • Reply to Fish Cookery
                  by FirstBubba
                  Not a trout aficionado. Probably because I never ate one until I was out of high school.
                  Bream, perch, bass and catfish, I have consumed in great...
                  Today, 05:52 PM
                • Reply to 40 Reasons NOT to get the vaccine.
                  by 99explorer
                  PH - That seems like a lot of deaths when you show individual pictures, but the total number is relatively low (3,005 compared with over half a million...
                  Today, 05:48 PM
                • 40 Reasons NOT to get the vaccine.
                  by crm3006
                  I think vaccinations should be a personal choice, as with a lot of other things associated with this fakedemic, and life in general. Mask wearing, for...
                  04-05-2021, 10:22 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X