Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do your deer sightings go down in early October? What's your solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer sightings definitely do go down but that's because the deer are moving at night and bedding during the day, so I usually try to hunt evenings especially when a cold front moves in because that will get the deer moving before dark. Also focus on hunting woods near creeks in October, bucks will be visiting frequently to see if doe are in the area.

Comment

No, the area we hunt in south Fla the rut is actually ramped up this time of year so we have better and more deer movement. Even on public land I use camera's and see more daily activity.

Comment

Much of the frequent / infrequent sightings have to do with the actual hunting season beginning which brings hunters into the whitetail's natural environment. We inadvertently bring pressure on these animals by simply coming into their habitat and we cause them to instinctively avoid certain areas (not typically indigenous to humans)
        We see the whitetail frequently at first, and then wonder why it is that we see them less and less as our treks into their habitat become more frequent. Simply put, our presence places pressure on mature whitetail deer to stay away from the hunted areas, and drives them deeper into the woods less frequented by humans. That's why scent blocking products, camouflage and other cover scents add a tremendous advantage for the hunter.
        Of course then, we begin to see them more frequently as Mother Nature begins to stir in them the time to find a mate and this desire overrides their inhibitions to stay out of sight.
        Pressure = less sightings.
        Less pressure + sex drive increases sightings.

Moral of the hunt...stay invisible, stay odor free, and stay quiet.

Comment

I haven't been deer hunting yet, but I've been small game hunting with a friend and we saw two does and then 50 yds up the trail we had an 8 pt walking right at us. Other then small game hunting though I've been getting ready for trapping season.

Comment

Know what the deer are feeding on and where they are bedding. Then wait for a cold front and be ready to shoot a big one, if there is no cold front there is always cold beer!

Comment

Go moose hunting

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1138376-Canoe-moose-hunt-2014

Comment

Yes, my deer sightings go down in early October, but since it is expected, one should be willing to change up their normal routine. For a few years, I sat in my goto stand in early Oct. and wondered "what happened to all the deer?" My stand, nestled fairly tight among an inner sanctuary of trees with 360 degrees of runs, that require your head to be on a swivel or you will miss something. Then I had an epiphany. If they won't come to me, I will go to them. I ignored all the magazine articles and TV shows that over analyze what we should be doing and why, and decided to be different. I began setting up a ground blind in less than likely spots; along a fence row near an open field, near a very steep bank along a shallow creek, and the best spot ever, 20 yards from the side of a barn and a few old junk tractors. It is crazy how many deer I see from mid-September thru mid-October. But come late October on, I will be in my goto Stand and still harvesting 6 Deer every year.

Comment

I keep checking my trail cams. After the start of the hunting season at the end of September the blacktail bucks really go nocturnal. The daytime bachelor groups of late summer - August & September - disappear as the bucks go solitary and generally only come out at night. My trail cams photos have shown that to me over the last few years. In between monitoring the trail cams, I keep myself busy with steelhead fishing. After the 16th of October, any uptick in activity shown by the cams will get me back in the woods. As October nears the start of November, the beginning rut activity alone will definitely pull me back into the woods. I will keep check on my trail cams for that late night capture of an elusive trophy buck.

The frequency of blacktail buck captures on my trail cams went up during late October this year. This even included one nice three pointer. The video is a capture of the three point buck taken after the season had closed.

I hunted more frequently right from the uptick in deer activity of late October into November. Results? I shot a nice fork horn blacktail buck on a nearby ridge at 9 AM on November 3rd while checking one of my trail cams.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Do your deer sightings go down in early October? Yes typically deer sightings will go down in mid october, however, deer sign will begin to show (scrapes rubs etc...) and these early signs are typically made by the dominant bucks

What's your solution? Hunt early mornings and late afternoons, take advantage of cold snaps and especially pay attention to long overnight/early morning steady hard rain.... BE IN THE WOODS when that rain subsides.

Comment

With this heat and the crop still in yes, the deer sightings are not very high. My best solution would be to scout from a stand as much as possible. You're not going to get a deer if you're not hunting them. Sitting in a stand this time of year can teach you a lot about the deer's behavior for this time of year and prepare you for upcoming years. Just do not hunt your honey hole stands and add consistent pressure. Switch it up. Just my two cents. Plus it gives you an excuse to be in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by toppinoutdoors View Post
                        Yes. Two things, I wake up from my nap and open my eyes usually the first step. But in the serious end to try to cut the lull is we practice alternating hunting locations to decrease our pressure. The majority of the deer we see are young fawns all throughout the day, feeding near their bedding area, but the other deer are mostly caught near the evening on cooler nights, otherwise we don't sit so we don't ruin our chances come the rut.
                        Change your tactics! Get out of that 18 ft. ladder stand that you've been hunting the hell out of all early season, strap on some good hiking boots, and take the fight to the bucks! Start scouting for a hot scrape, a fresh rub, or that one honey hole of an oak thats dropping acorns like a bad habit. Locate some good bedding area, but for the love of God, STAY OUT of it. Do most of your scouting late morning to early afternoon, and do it like a scout sniper deep behind enemy lines, like your life depends on not being detected by the enemy! Cover ground, but do it with finesse, in and out quick, clean, and quiet.
                        When you think you've found that special spot back in the boonies, wait. Look at the weather, the moon phase, and the prevailing wind. I prefer to hunt the evening after a cold, overnight storm. Slip into that honey hole around 3:30 with a climber or on foot. With a climber, set up 10 ft. higher than you normally would, in between the bedding area and the food source, but closer to the food source, about 30 yards off the trail. On foot, set up in a lone blow down (one not used for bedding(duh.)) or against a big tree or behind the crest of a small drainage. The tree and blow down will hide your silhouette, but the drainage will give you somewhere to hide your draw as that wily old bruiser settles in for supper time. Thwack.

Comment

Simple answer is the bucks will travel the same routes the doe's travel from bed to feed. Even though they might not bed or feed with them. They may not be chasing them yet but are keeping an eye on the prize already. Find does and follow the bread crumbs to the bucks.

Comment

My solution is to bring the kids out with me. Normally, trying to bring a 4 or 2yo with me is recipe for NO DEER, but since that is what we face during the LULL anyways - it is the perfect time, for two reasons:

1. If you don't see anything, you've at least spent some QT with your kids, and introduced them to a great sport. Nothing lost, but A LIFETIME of a special bond gained.

2. We all know that fish and deer like to strike when we LEAST expect it. Nothing is better than a deer walking right into your lane while your whispering to your kid, thinking that you're being loud enough to scare the bugs away.

Comment

No my sightings do not decline. I pattern deer with trail cameras and I don't hunt my stands unless I have daytime photos of deer, a good wind, and a good entrance and exit plan. I focus my effort around high carbohydrate food sources in early October as deer actively seek carbs at that time of year.

Comment

Hunting pinch points in an area acorns are dropping. theres a rock wall that funnels into one slope that's about 5 ft wide that gives access down into the creek bed below it. This was from my camera going along the wall 10 yards from the slope. typical bed to feed pattern. the creek bed is very thick and full of rubs and beds, the ridge above it is full of acorns and persimmons with rubs and scraps all over it both old and new. I'm hunting on the ridge where the food and a low point is where deer cross from side to side. In the last 2 weeks of hunting over 3 sits I've seen 8 turkeys, 3 does , 1 fawn, a spike, 2 two year olds, a 3 year old and 1 mature buck bigger then the one in this photo. also have another spike and a six point on the camera.

Basically combine last years rut sign with the summer pattern and hunt that middle area where the two meet. In my experience it's hunting areas that funnel deer movement. Also suggest investing in a good rain suit so you can hunt those misty rainy cold days after a front moves through the night before.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                  by labrador12
                                  The narrative abides. The Snowhole takes the hook, the line, and the absurdly large sinker again.

Let's GO Brandon!!!!...
                                  Today, 05:55 PM
                                • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                                  Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                                  06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
                                • Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                                  by PigHunter
                                  Nice! Looks peaceful.

PigHuntress and I are going out tonight for karaoke. She's hoarse and may not sing as much.

Tomorrow night...
                                  Today, 05:53 PM
                                • TGIF; Armageddon
                                  by fitch270
                                  Not sure how this week will play out, the idea just came to mind.

Nickelback

“If Today Was Your Last Day”

Yesterday, 07:11 AM
                                • Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  LOL! I has lots of things running through my mind! WHAT the ambulance driver, or the EMT looked like WAS NOT at the top of the list! 😩
                                  Blood,...
                                  Today, 05:43 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X