Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When hunting you wanna mask your scent so Say you clean your gun before you go hunting, wouldn't the cleaning products smells get in the air? So wouldn't you wanna spray your gun with a scent over? How many of yall do this? And how about cell phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When hunting you wanna mask your scent so Say you clean your gun before you go hunting, wouldn't the cleaning products smells get in the air? So wouldn't you wanna spray your gun with a scent over? How many of yall do this? And how about cell phones

When hunting you wanna mask your scent so Say you clean your gun before you go hunting, wouldn't the cleaning products smells get in the air? So wouldn't you wanna spray your gun with a scent over? How many of yall do this? And how about cell phones and thing like that?

It is considered by many hunters to be a waste of time, esp. those that smoke.
    Whether you mask your scent or not, you still have to hunt the wind for success.

Comment

the only scent i think you really need to pay attention to is your human scent, that will be the most likely cause for a deer or whatever else you are hunting with a high sense of smell to pick up on and leave the area.

i also doubt that the scent of a cellphone will be the difference between you putting your tag on an animal or not.

Comment

Well first I try not to bring my cellphone into the woods. No signal anyway.

Second, I would recommend against cleaning your gun before going in the woods just because in my opinion its bad practice. When you go sight in your gun and you got it perfectly sighted in. At that point I would leave it alone. Also cleaning a gun barrel also wears the barrel down. Alot of people i know do not clean their rifles down after the range, they swab the action down, which unless you have an automatic shouldn't be too dirty, and probably do a complete detail clean once a year.

Me once i sight in for the season. i wipe my gun down, and put it on the rack. then after each day of use, i wipe off any moisture. When deer season is over i do my clean oil everything. Then in sprint i clean it again, and hit the range.

Comment

Clean your gun AFTER you go hunting. If you plan to clean it before clean it a couple of days before and be sure to put a couple of fouling shots through it. That will ensure you're both on target and any solvents or oils are cleared off.

I do not spray my guns. It's usually predator smells that spook deer anyway. Cover scents might buy you a little more time, the Ozone might buy you a little more than that, but your best chances are when you hunt downwind of your prey.

Cellphone stays in the pack or in an interior pocket so it's covered by my outer gear.

Comment

Other than not smoking, urinating away from the blind and basically staying clean, I don't waste time or money worrying about scent.
            I'm in an area that is heavy into agriculture. Farmers are a part of most deer's everyday world whether they're fixing fence, working/checking cattle, plowing, planting or checking crops or whatever farm chores.
            These deer are wild and aren't going to stand around waiting for you to shoot.
            They are spooked by movement and "unusual" odors.

Comment

I don't worry too much about masking my scent when hunting with a rifle. If I want the deer, it is usually dead by the time it gets close enough for scent. If I get busted because it crosses my trail and it takes off, I just shoot it on the run. I take great precautions in scent concealment when archery hunting because the deer has to be within 20 yards for me to take a shot. A rifle is much more forgiving. I'm not sure a deer would associate cleaning solvents with humans even if they smelled them because they smell more like field machinery with which they are quite familiar. I can't recall ever having been busted because of scent while hunting with a rifle. I HAVE had deer that were way off spook when they crossed my trail. None of them lived to talk about it.

Comment

We hunters that are tainted with odors of cigarette smoke, still shoot deer. Even big racks. It is all about the wind....................... I will admit though, that I use unscented deoderant, and unscented laundry soap, but it mostly has to do with the fact I break out from scented stuff. haha. In the woods though I do tend to rub dirt on my fingers after smoking to help reduce the smell, which why I bother, I do not know, since I put that disgustingly smelly cigarette butt in my pocket, instead of leaving it behind in the woods.

Comment

I clean my gun after the hunt but I use unscented soap, unscented laundry and place my clothes in zip lock bag. Cell phone goes with my gear and above all else, hunt downwind of where deer travel.

Comment

Originally posted by rudyglove27 View Post
                    I clean my gun after the hunt but I use unscented soap, unscented laundry and place my clothes in zip lock bag. Cell phone goes with my gear and above all else, hunt downwind of where deer travel.
                    JMHO Deer are spooked more my movement or noise than scent. Spend your money on a warm hat or a better bullet.

Comment

Clean your gun after the hunt instead of before. If you are lucky enough to get to use it during your hunt you just wasted your time cleaning it in the first place. I would not spray it with scent, that might be bad for the internals if it got inside. As far as a cellphone, I don't think that should be a problem at all, as long as it does not make noise.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                        by Danbo
                        Lab - I hope your travels back East are going well .

The bandicoot doesn't believe anything unless yahoo news says it's so.

Today, 11:37 AM
                      • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                        by FirstBubba
                        Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                        Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                        06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
                        by labrador12
                        The pussy hat wearing riots didn't happen? The burning cars and burning city blocks didn't happen? What evidence do you want? The Steele Dossier is total...
                        Today, 11:15 AM
                        by 99explorer
                        One side of this argument has tons of evidence, while the other side has none.
                        Talk is cheap.
                        Today, 11:01 AM
                      • Reply to What's Ahead?
                        by jhjimbo
                        The group running the Country want to have an all out war with Putin. Just like they did in Syria, Egypt, Iraq, Lebanon, and Lybia. Susan Rice, Hillary,...
                        Today, 09:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X