Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a .22Lr a suitable rifle for coyote? If so, what is the effective range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a .22Lr a suitable rifle for coyote? If so, what is the effective range?

Is a .22Lr a suitable rifle for coyote? If so, what is the effective range?

never tried it, but a well placed shot at 30 to 40 yds should do the trick..

Comment

I would say 60yds max with 40gr CCI~Stinger ammo & a well placed Head Shot.

Comment

In MI, used to be (don't know if it still is) you could only hunt coyote after dark with rimfire. Can be done with .22lr recommend velocitor or faster felocities. Course, the .22WMR is available and they're pretty inexpensive since all the FN stuff came out.

Comment

Hunting after dark is one way to limit the range unless the hunter is using flares.

Comment

The .22LR is fully capable of taking 'yotes. Out past 40 or 50 yards, it's "lethality" is questionable.
            Even with good ammo, I wouldn't push it past 60 yards or so.

Comment

BTW!
              I really wouldn't consider the .22 LR "suitable", but it will do the job within it's limited parameters.

Comment

Have killed a few with .22 ammo but would never recommend it. Just not a quick, clean kill.

Comment

Stinger or Yellow Jacket.
                  Killing them and finding them afterward might be two different things.

Comment

I'n wondering about a Contender barrel for the new .17 Supermag rimfire........if that round doesn't catch on I could have the bbl rechambered ;-)

Comment

Personally I think its a little small. I would use a little bigger but not to big.

Comment

CD2
                        Personally, I think "any" .17 caliber, especially rimfire, is over rated. There's just not enough projectile!
                        For small game, the .17 is just too destructive due to it's hyper velocity.
                        Seems to me the .204 Ruger is also fading though it should be a superb varmint round.
                        FWIW

Comment

No, it is a coyote crippler unless you have a brain shot at 20 yards.

Comment

I would never hunt coyotes with one, but if I had a .22 in my hands and Mr. Coyote was passing by in range, I'd shoot him.

Comment

I know guys who hunt yotes within 100 yards with HMR.
                              Would think the Supermag to be better.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad