Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today I saw a turkey with five or so poults, they were about the size of a dove. The turkey with them looked like a hen but had

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I saw a turkey with five or so poults, they were about the size of a dove. The turkey with them looked like a hen but had

Today I saw a turkey with five or so poults, they were about the size of a dove. The turkey with them looked like a hen but had a long beard. I know some hens have beards, but I was wondering if toms heads were always red, are they ever blue?

cbh, my strutting tom turkey trail camera photo in the link below has red, white and blue colors on his head. I have seen toms with just blue heads while they were strutting.

www.fieldandstream.com/contest_entry/1001487732?&page=105&pnid=1001488170

Comment

canvasbackhunter, I just posted a blue headed strutting tom trail camera photo inside the F&S Trophy Room.
      I even mention your name and your question on the Answer Room in my description of the photo.
      Check it out.

Comment

Typically a strutting Tom (eastern) will be red, white and blue when strutting or excited. Mostly white and blue head with a red neck. He looks like a cue ball coming through the underbrush. But that head can quickly turn to all read when they become alarmed or think something isn't right, like when you've been busted.
        We have some great video footage from a hunt this past spring that I am currently working on that captures a gobbler with beautiful coloration. I will try to get it edited and posted to our website asap. In the mean time, we have several videos and trail cam photos you can take a look at if your interested at www.deer30outdoors.com

Comment

Thanks for responding guys, I have seen toms with white heads, but not blue. It was pretty cool to see one one your camera Gary, now I need to find one myself.

Comment

What you saw was a bearded hen shepherding her poults. For 4-5 years there was a hen near my house that had a heavy beard of 10 inches or so and was a strange sight with her brood. Bearded hen are not uncommon at all and some develop very nice beards.

Gobblers that are not excited will typically have bluish/gray coloration on the head and will still have red wattles on the neck.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
              by jhjimbo
              What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
              Today, 01:16 PM
            • Another New Upper
              by DakotaMan
              Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
              Today, 12:54 PM
            • Reply to Another New Upper
              by FirstBubba
              Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
              Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
              Today, 01:12 PM
            • Reply to 16 Years
              by jhjimbo
              I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
              He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
              Today, 01:11 PM
            • 16 Years
              by jhjimbo
              So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
              Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X