Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to kill a wounded turkey so as not to get hit with a spur ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ColoradoBucks
    replied
    My grandfather always took a hatchet or axe and cut the head off

Leave a comment:

• BillSheive5555
    replied
    Shoot it again.

Leave a comment:

• gm.blankenship
    replied
    I happen to agree with 99explorer I carry a NAA Black widow for snakes and what not the first 2 rounds I always keep bird shot which have come in handy especially at close range. The guns are relatively inexpensive considering you get the long rifle & magnum cylinder it might be something to look into.

Leave a comment:

• Bucks and Clucks
    replied
    I know in Pennsylvania, you're allowed to carry a pistol while turkey hunting, but only during a small game season, so I just step on its neck, then, if it has'nt died, I wring it's neck until it dies.

Leave a comment:

• Ga hunter
    replied
    I just put my boot on his neck until he's gone.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    scratch

I've known of several different cases of hunters hurt (none seriously) by wounded/dying game animals. Fortunately, I'm not among them.
    It's not because I haven't pulled my fair share of stupid stunts.
    Regardless of laws, I do carry a small .22 when hunting. (I have a CHL which makes it legal) I just think safety and ethics outweigh the consequences.
    But....that's my decision.

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    bubba, the way he was tucked into that brushpile there was nowhere for him to go, fight or flight kicked in, and he had one option. i was an idiot for trying to grab his leg to drag him out.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    scratch
    Was he actually trying to spur you or just thrashing trying to get away?
    I know, doesn't change the result, just curious.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Ontario is correct. You better not be caught hunting with a handgun in New Jersey. You would be arrested on the spot.
    explorer is also correct. Other western states are more flexible with handguns used during hunting season. Some of eastern states are like Nazis Germany with their gun laws.

When you shoot a wounded turkey and he is floundering on the ground from his nerves reacting just step on his leg. With my size fourteen boot he is not gone anywhere. If the turkey is wounded and able to run or fly, shoot him again.

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    Ditto w/ habben97

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    bubba ive had it happen to me...i was bowhunting a few falls ago for deer and a few turkey happen to come through. i shot a gobbler a little low and he ran into a brush pile. let him sit till nightfall then went in. i could see him in the brush, and with a flashlight in my mouth crawled in to get him. that sucker got me good when i grabbed for him. ended up having to keep the flashlight in my mouth and dispatch him with another shot from my bow.

Leave a comment:

• habben97
    replied
    shoot 'em in the head again, or smack them in the head with a club like stick.

Leave a comment:

• Pray- hunt-work
    replied
    Lay a long stick across their body, walk the plank and at the far end you'll find a turkey kabob. Minus the puncture wound that is. Then you can borrow Honkers dull gutting knife and lob off his head. sorry OH, I had to throw it in there.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    A .22 Magnum Pistol with CCI Snake Shot works every time on Snakes while Turkey Hunting and that Run away Gobbler!
    NOW check your local Laws, Here in Fl you can use almost every type of Bow or Fire Arm to Hunt Turkeys.

Leave a comment:

• hawndog
    replied
    Choot 'em!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Voter Fraud
    by jhjimbo
    I think Trump lawyers are having a hard time getting to SCOTUS because the courts are asking for evidence and detail that no longer exists and want more...
    Today, 12:59 AM
  • Voter Fraud
    by bowhunter75richard
    For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
    11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
  • Reply to Hunting pants?
    by jhjimbo
    My every day hunting are an old pair of camo Carhart heavy weight - almost like canvas. Add some UnderArmour long jons for colder weather and for real...
    Today, 12:34 AM
  • Hunting pants?
    by fitch270
    This one came to mind as I replied to PigHunter's thread up top about "What's on your belt?". I started drifting but decided it might be worth...
    Yesterday, 10:22 PM
  • Reply to Why I Hunt
    by jhjimbo
    What is ?.......
    Today, 12:22 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X