Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to kill a wounded turkey so as not to get hit with a spur ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to kill a wounded turkey so as not to get hit with a spur ?

What is the best way to kill a wounded turkey so as not to get hit with a spur ?

Throw a sheet over it (like a cast net) wrap it up and wring it's neck, unless you can shoot it of course

Comment

I just have to ask!

"Have you had this happen in the past?"

It seems to me that if a turkey has enough control of his legs to "spur", he'll be covering country rather than hanging around.

I've had to dispatch two "downed" birds. A nearby handy "stick" served the purpose quite nicely.
      When I walk up on a presumably "dead" bird, I immediately step (not stomp!) in their head until I'm absolutely certain he's crossed over to the Big Roost in the Sky.

Comment

Lock and load!

I can attest to the damage that spurs can deal out. I pulled a crippled rooster out of a muskrat hole last fall and he dang near ripped my thumb off. Cut me right to the bone. Now I have a nice conversation piece scar to go with the one on adjacent first finger from gutting my first buck back in ... 1969.

Comment

Just take the damn spurs off before you kill the turkey. Jeez!

Comment

Here's where a little .22 pistol comes in handy for administering the coup de grace.

Comment

99ex, there's very few jurisdictions that I know of where turkeys can be legally shot with anything but shotgun or bow, coup de grace included. Used to be able to take them with a rifle in Eastern Montana during the fall season but I heard it's no longer allowed. Would have to check the regs to be sure though.

Comment

Choot 'em!

Comment

A .22 Magnum Pistol with CCI Snake Shot works every time on Snakes while Turkey Hunting and that Run away Gobbler!
                  NOW check your local Laws, Here in Fl you can use almost every type of Bow or Fire Arm to Hunt Turkeys.

Comment

Lay a long stick across their body, walk the plank and at the far end you'll find a turkey kabob. Minus the puncture wound that is. Then you can borrow Honkers dull gutting knife and lob off his head. sorry OH, I had to throw it in there.

Comment

shoot 'em in the head again, or smack them in the head with a club like stick.

Comment

bubba ive had it happen to me...i was bowhunting a few falls ago for deer and a few turkey happen to come through. i shot a gobbler a little low and he ran into a brush pile. let him sit till nightfall then went in. i could see him in the brush, and with a flashlight in my mouth crawled in to get him. that sucker got me good when i grabbed for him. ended up having to keep the flashlight in my mouth and dispatch him with another shot from my bow.

Comment

Ditto w/ habben97

Comment

Ontario is correct. You better not be caught hunting with a handgun in New Jersey. You would be arrested on the spot.
                            explorer is also correct. Other western states are more flexible with handguns used during hunting season. Some of eastern states are like Nazis Germany with their gun laws.

When you shoot a wounded turkey and he is floundering on the ground from his nerves reacting just step on his leg. With my size fourteen boot he is not gone anywhere. If the turkey is wounded and able to run or fly, shoot him again.

Comment

scratch
                              Was he actually trying to spur you or just thrashing trying to get away?
                              I know, doesn't change the result, just curious.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad