Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

last weekend was the the opening day of turkey season in pa. i worked a bird all the way into 40 yards he came in gobbling and f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• last weekend was the the opening day of turkey season in pa. i worked a bird all the way into 40 yards he came in gobbling and f

last weekend was the the opening day of turkey season in pa. i worked a bird all the way into 40 yards he came in gobbling and full strut but once he looked at my she mobile decoy he turned around and ran the other way. Should i keep using the decoy or just leave it at the house?

Foxpro, some mature toms may have seen turkey decoys before back when they were little jakes. They may have seen an older turkey get shot near a decoy or may of spotted a hunter near decoys in the past.
    I never use turkey decoys. It is better to use a hen call. The tom will come in looking for the hen.

The northeastern states like Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware have a lot more hunters hunting turkeys. The Midwest or the Western states toms may have never seen a turkey decoy before and a decoy could work like a charm.
    Good Luck!

Comment

I'd leave it behind. We kill most of our birds without a decoy. Between three of us, 6 tags filled out of 9, no decoys this year.

Comment

Sometimes decoys will help seal the deal, sometimes they don't. I haven't had much luck with decoys to be honest with you. I prefer to have the tom keep looking for the hen he cannot see.

Comment

I am with bioguy. The only time I will use a decoy is when the Tom is roosting on one side of me on a fields edge, let's say my right side. I will set up 100-150 below the bird on the same side of the field, and place the decoy opposite the bird, my left side, 50-60 yards down further. I think it helps to draw him down past me, but I never want him getting close enough to the decoy to peg it for a fake. If you place it far enough away they often will cruise right past you to investigate. I have no luck drawing a bird across the fields middle with a decoy in front of me, I think they see me too quickly.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad