Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pretty new to turkey hunting no alot of basics been hunting in RI for the last 2 days been there early cant hear turkey gobble c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pretty new to turkey hunting no alot of basics been hunting in RI for the last 2 days been there early cant hear turkey gobble c

pretty new to turkey hunting no alot of basics been hunting in RI for the last 2 days been there early cant hear turkey gobble cant get a responce i know there is turkey there called in 2 hens in but no tom do you think its still early i see alot of sign new and old see them all threw deer season anybody got any ideas thanks John

Its getting late in the GA season, its prime time in VA right now, so your northern location may be a little behind but I would expect they should be gobbling.
    I have no idea what your terrain looks like, but try to find a position(s) that allow you to hear a bird from as far away as possible. Typically they start gobbling about 15 min before daylight but high pressure birds may not gobble until after the sun is up. Be patient and wait a little longer.

If your an adequate caller, wait until after fly down time, here they been hitting the ground by 6:30-6:45 and get aggressive with your calling with a few excited yelp-cut=yelp combinations, but don't over do it.
    If you still can't strike a bird, and you are sure one is in there, set up in a position where the hens are traveling to feed (lots of scratching)and wait. Call every 15 minutes or so. If the gobbler has hens with him, he will follow them like a puppy and although he hears your calls, he may not gobble. Being ahead of them will offer a chance for them to walk into your lap on their own.

Also, the toms will start gobbling again when the hens go to nest mid morning (9:30-11). If you strike one at this time, set up in a hurry cause he is usually coming at first gobble.

Its hard to put a finger on exactly the situation in a state where you have never been much less hunted, but these are a few things that I have tried before with success.
    For more basics I encourage you to check out www.deer30outdoors.com/how-to-hunt-spring-turkeys/ and the "Tales of the Hunt" In each story are some hidden gems on how we were successful that may prove beneficial.

Sorry so long, good luck and good hunting!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad