Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got to the woods a little to late this morning and their was already a gobbler strutting at my spot at 6:30. I watched him and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got to the woods a little to late this morning and their was already a gobbler strutting at my spot at 6:30. I watched him and

I got to the woods a little to late this morning and their was already a gobbler strutting at my spot at 6:30. I watched him and tried to close the distance but he spooked and went down in the holler. I did a little recon of the area and found a dusting site and good sign right in there where he was. Also I talked to the land owner and he said that the turkeys roost less that 100 yards away. I made a little blind and am planning on heading back extra EXTRA early tomorrow morning. Do I have a realistic chance to bag that bird there in the morning or will he be to leary to come back?

I bet you a nickel you bag this bird tomorrow.

Comment

he'll be there ive tried stalking turkeys I see from my cabin and when I get back to the house there already back out in the feild

Comment

Ya I agree. I bet he will be roosted in the same spot. Killing him might be a whole nother deal though depending on whether or not he has hens with him and about million other factors.

Comment

I bet you get him, turkeys don't have much of a memory. Bring decoys, everyone I know who has gotten one this year, a decoy played a big part. I shot mine last weekend and took a guy out this morning. Four toms showed out out of nowhere and attacked the decoys. He shot one with his bow at 10 yards.

Comment

Let us know tomorrow how it goes!

Comment

All ive got in the decoy department is a hen. Will that be enough? He had about a half dozen girls with him this morning it looked like. Yeah il be sure to keep you guys posted. If I get him il post a picture. This would be my first gobler.

Comment

depends on how bad you spooked him. if he turned and hauled ass out of there you have an issue, if he just saw something he didnt like and crept away you will probably be ok. typically as long as you dont shoot you should be ok getting a gobbler to come back to the same spot.

Comment

I would give you a 50-50 Chance....Turkeys are not so Dumb! just Horny at this time of year.
                  Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Comment

I would give you a 50-50 Chance....Turkeys are not so Dumb! just Horny at this time of year.
                    Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Comment

He didnt show this morning. But the hens didnt come in like they did yesterday. They tried to but got spooked by the farmer coming out to feed his cows. I did have about 5 gobblers gobbling at daylight and for about 30 minuets afterwards. I just dont know how to call to them. Any tips or advice on calling and or calls would be great. All I have to call with right now is a little HS wooden push button call and a HS gobble tube.

Comment

My best advise for learning to call is listen to audio of a live hen, and try to mimic that. I'd also invest in some mouth calls and a slate.

Comment

Drew, I would try to get in the woods early before the birds drop down from their roost. You stated you were running late and you spooked the Tom out of your area. Your strutting gobbler could have moved off with his hens to another property.

I would buy a ground blind in the future instead of making one. The squirrels, crows and blue jay overhead will see you and they could sound off their warning alarm calls to everything in the forest.
                          Good Luck!

Comment

I got there at 5:30 today. The birds were all calm and melow. They were all roosting realyl close

Comment

Turkeys have excellent vision, so be sure not to make any movement while you are on stand. The biggest virtue of a pop-up blind is that you can get away with a lot of movement inside and not be seen.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad