Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are your guys strategies about turkey hunting. roosting birds the night before,? scouting,? or just trying to find the turk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are your guys strategies about turkey hunting. roosting birds the night before,? scouting,? or just trying to find the turk

what are your guys strategies about turkey hunting. roosting birds the night before,? scouting,? or just trying to find the turkeys in the morning. I will be glad to hear all styles and varieties.

If you can be in the woods in the evening you can hear where the bird is roosting and be back there to within 75 to 100yds from the roost tree in the AM. Otherwise, in the AM listen for one coming to ground. If nothing then try a crow or owl call to see if you can get a rise out of the bird. Set up for an hour or so in one place and if nothing, move to another spot.

Comment

I do some pre season scouting to get an idea were the birds should be and were the will travel and were they won't. Then I try to roost them the night before, but if I can't i play it by ear the next morning.

Comment

i dont have time to scout, soon as i get out of school turkey season starts. ive got a few spots, i know they have birds, ill find them in the morning.

Comment

It all depends on the area I'm hunting. I have a favorite place to turkey hunt but due to the draw here in az don't always get to hunt there. If I'm in that spot I just kind of show up because i have scouted for enough years to know where the birds frequent but if i get a hunt I'm not use to then is scout and try to find birds before the hunt.

Comment

I use maps to identify potential feeding areas. I don't have the time or money to scout, and my opportunities to turkey hunt are limited, so I usually just run-and-gun and hope for the best. Every now and then I luck out, but regardless of the outcome, being out in the woods during the spring is what I really enjoy about turkey hunting.

Comment

I had a day off the water today and went to help a friend match pine his ceilings in his new hunting camp. In the 12 mile drive this morning I saw 17 strutting toms and over 100 hens. On the way home, I saw a dozen or more toms again. Scouting is cheap because I live so close to the game, free time is seasonal in my occupation though and I am usually only in the woods in nasty weather. I find 4 or 5 flocks I wish to hunt, get permission if they're not on my regular stomping grounds, and observe the birds patterns. I most always put them to bed at dusk and then return back in the morning with an appropriate set up. An owl or crow call at night and a slate and diaphragm in the morning. The turkey hunting day ends at noon here in Maine and I usually hunt one location at sunrise and if not successful will drive by the other fields to locate my second flock. Once pin pointed, it's spot and stalk and run and gun...

Comment

the basics www.deer30outdoors.com/how-to-hunt-spring-turkeys/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad