Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We just got 6 plus inches of snow here in Minnesota on the second day of spring turkey season. Anybody have any tips on hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We just got 6 plus inches of snow here in Minnesota on the second day of spring turkey season. Anybody have any tips on hunting

We just got 6 plus inches of snow here in Minnesota on the second day of spring turkey season. Anybody have any tips on hunting gobblers in conditions like this.

Stay home by the fire.
    Practice your calling.
    Wait for snow to melt.
    The birds will hunker down during the storm.

Comment

Don't know what to tell ya, Tony.
      I've killed birds with sleet rattling off the bill of my cap. The next year, I killed 2 birds with sweat running down my face!
      I don't remember ever killing a turkey "during" a rain, but I've killed one or two immediately after a thunder boomer moved through. If a "boomer" moves through, as soon as it quits raining, toms like to move out to open areas and dry out.
      How to hunt in the "snow"? Good question! I'd say if you CAN get out, get out and see just what you can stir up. You might just find a "trick" that works or that jhjimbo is correct! Give it a whirl, what have you got to lose...a little body heat?

Comment

About ten years ago, we got 6 inches of wet snow the first Saturday in May. I went out and hunted just because it was so unusual. I didn't hear a peep out of any birds that day. I've never had much luck during cold, rain weather in the spring either. I'd say sleep in and then take your shotgun for a walk. It can't hurt.

Comment

I have huntrd and scouted in the snow when I lived in the mountains of VA. It was pretty hit or miss. Sometimes they would gobble their heads off, other times it wasn't until late morning before they finally spoke up.
          You can't kill them from the couch, that's one thing I know for sure. Get out there and be patient.

Comment

Six inches? Is that all? Consider yourself lucky. I'm just north of the border and I couldn't get out my back door this afternoon! Average depth in the driveway is three feet! Some drifts are chest high.

Comment

Cold, windy and wet here, I'm going to wait for better weather.

Comment

Get up and start with an owl call. If you can locate the birds, and travel to their location. If you don't get any responses after about 25 or 30 minutes, go back to sleep and try later in the morning. If that doesn't work, just wait out the snow, until it melts down a bit. The gobblers will have to start talking and moving sooner or later.

Comment

If there is any amount of wind coupled with your snow, I would try and wait for better weather. But a crisp, clear and quiet morning with no wind and only snow, I would try it in a heart beat. Just because a Tom is silent doesnt mean he's not activly searching for your call.

Comment

We just set up for MN 2nd season this morning and there was a flock of 18 on the ground we are hunting. The toms were strutting hard on the only patch of bare ground on the farm.
                    You might have to wear your snow camo but as many said above "ya can't shoot them from the couch".
                    Last year we hunted the same place and the alfalfa was so high only their heads were sticking out. What a change.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad