Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you guys found turkeys to follow the same pattern every year? I have found this on one property for the past 3 years. They

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you guys found turkeys to follow the same pattern every year? I have found this on one property for the past 3 years. They

Have you guys found turkeys to follow the same pattern every year? I have found this on one property for the past 3 years. They have been walking the same paths and roosting the same roost.

I have found that turkeys are often in the same general areas (public land). Certain places seem to always hold a bird, you always see scratching in this hollow, etc. Unless disturbed, they usually roost on the same hilltop, whatever, some times the same tree.

There is a small 25 ac piece of property that we had permission to hunt for the past 5 years. In general, we could slip in and sit along the top of low ridge and the gobblers would fly down to a little clearing agout 60 yards in front of us and after a little calling, come straight up the ridge to us. One year we had already taken a bird from the same spot, and our next time out we didn't make a single call and the gobbler flew down and walked to us within 20 yards. That is still the hottest spot I have ever hunted.
    So yes, unless the birds are disturbed, they will often follow "traditional" roosting areas, travel routes, feeding areas, etc.

Comment

I find that turkeys follow patterns, but not necessarily in a pattern.
      Make sense?

Comment

Turkeys love to follow roads and field edges. They also have a preference for certain roost trees. They will use these preference areas regularly but as Bubba comments above you may not be able to set a clock by their movements. That said these travel corridors make excellent sites to hunt.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad