Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is my first turkey season. And what are the best times of the day to hunt? I will be hunting late season May 6th to May 31s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is my first turkey season. And what are the best times of the day to hunt? I will be hunting late season May 6th to May 31s

This is my first turkey season. And what are the best times of the day to hunt? I will be hunting late season May 6th to May 31st. And where will they be low areas or fields or in the timber. I'm in Southern Michigan close to Ohio.

Hunt the mornings, but if you can hunt all day. The longer you hunt the higher your chances of success. To find the turkeys you will have to scout. Find where they are roosting, and set up bout 100 yards away. Read up online for more informational articles, that's how I got my start. What I didn't teach myself, I learned via internet.

Comment

The only thing I can add to canvas' answer is that one thing I've learned is that when it is a rainy day the turkeys tend to be in/around fields. When it's wet out you won't hear them coming in if they aren't gobbling so keep your eyes open.

Comment

hunt 234 im assuming, we are sharing the same season (im from southeastern MI). with turkey you want to spend every possible moment you can in the woods. i start my day by getting set up in a good spot a half hour before sunrise, then if need be move based on roost gobbling. i rarely kill a bird first thing, most of my turkeys are killed between 10-12.

in the mornings i tend to find them more in the fields strutting, but like anything you never know where you might catch them. i do a pretty even amount of calling between fields and timber throughout the day, and my kills are probably half and half to (fields and woods).

Comment

The above is good advice. Most hunters tend to quit once the early morning gobbling trails off. That is when you need to be in the woods. Hunt every legal minute you have. Make sure to take your binoculars. They are as important as your calls in some cases. Many times I have spotted birds in field grass or wheat that never would have seen with the naked eye. Learn to set up in places where the bird is in range when you see him. That little trick has been the death of many birds for me. You can click my name and look in my photo files. Some nice gobblers in there. So far have taken about 68 birds in 3 states.

Comment

I can't ad anything to that other than turkeys are even more fun with a bow.

Comment

BTW I love to hunt in May Some of my oldest birds have come late in the season when hens are on the nest. Don't stop 'til the season ends. I almost never see another hunter then.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad