Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just bagged my first GA long beard of the season this morning! (see first post for photo) How is everyone else's season goin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BillSheive5555
    replied
    Nothing yet but can't wait to get one.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    I drove from Colorado to MN on Saturday and the toms were strutting all over Nebraska and Iowa. It was really neat to see. Season doesn't start till the 17th in MN. I didn't draw a tag so I can't hunt till middle of May. Can't wait.
    Good hunting to you all.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    DEER30

Here's a website that may be a bit (LOL!) more helpful!

www.customcalls.com/makeawingbonecall1.htm

Biggest difference is I don't trim the bones until after they've been boiled. Marrow comes out much easier.

Leave a comment:

• DEER30
    replied
    Hey bubba thanks for the info. It does seem pretty simple and I will definately be giving it a try with the wings from my next bird.
    I can't think of a more gratifying feeling than harvesting a bird on a call that you have made. That is going to be fun!

Leave a comment:

• Ga hunter
    replied
    Bioguy, that's my county! I hope the hunting is good for you! Most of the people around here already hunt their tracts, or sometimes ask ridiculous prices for leases.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    DEER30

Check your "comment" section! I did the best I could and hope you "understand" it all.
    E mail me anytime if I can help.

One thing I did forget.
    I use a fine hacksaw blade to cut the end of the bones.
    Cut each end back about 1/8" at a time until you get the "desired" fit.
    Fit is kinda sloppy, but the glue will take care of that.

Good luck! Post a "pic" when you complete one!

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    I've thought about hunting Redlands, but I have access to some private lands in Morgan County. I haven't been out yet, but I plan on going out next weekend.

Leave a comment:

• DEER30
    replied
    First Bubba - I have not made one but would love to try. How do you do it?

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    One more thing and I'll go!
    Do any of you make wing bone yelpers from your turkey's wings? Easy and really neat!

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    3 weeks before the season starts in Ohio. I woke up this morning to gobblers on the roost gobbling. Yes, it gets your blood going.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    To take a strutting, gobbling turkey, one on one is no small feat Congrats to all who have taken birds "honestly"!

BTW! I've taken one bearded hen.
    I'd just about pass on a "Booner" buck to see a tom strutt and hear him gobble. "THAT" adrenaline rush is without equal!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    The birds here in southern OK are Rios, but we're close enough to eastern OK,we get a trace of cross, "occasionally. I've killed only one tom whose tail feathers were a bit darker than a true Rio.

So far, my best bird was 23#, 1" broomed spurs and two beards, one 9.5" and one 5"
    Best "hooks" are 1.25" and needle sharp. Best beard is 11.5".
    I haven't taken a bird over 23 pounds.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    A half mile down the road from my home, there is a dry creek that's heavily wooded.
    Every morning, I step outside about 7am and a tom is lighting up the world, gobbling his head off.
    This afternoon about 6pm, I decided I'd go put him to roost because season opens next Sat. (Apr 6th) I crossed the creek to my deer stand, killed the atv and let things get quiet. I hit a five note yelp run and waited. No response. Another call sequence and still no response. I headed back the way I came, crossed the creek (gully!) again and drove to a dry pond to park. Nope! You can see the atv from the road, I'll park behind the dam.
    As I rounded the toe of the dam, I spotted a tom heading to my stand location, looking for the hen that was no longer there. I turned and drove back home! Maybe he'll still be there next Sat! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Ga hunter
    replied
    I hunt on several different pieces of private land. I'm not too far from Redlands!

Leave a comment:

• DEER30
    replied
    awesome! congrats!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad