Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just bagged my first GA long beard of the season this morning! (see first post for photo) How is everyone else's season goin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bagged my first GA long beard of the season this morning! (see first post for photo) How is everyone else's season goin

I just bagged my first GA long beard of the season this morning! (see first post for photo) How is everyone else's season going?

photo at www.deer30outdoors.com/hunting/turkey/success-gallery/

Comment

more photos on our facebook page www.facebook.com/pages/DEER30outdoors/444141552277480?ref=hl

Comment

DEER30
        Interesting photos. Are they Eastern, Osceola or an Eastern/Osceola cross?
        What did your bird weigh?

Comment

Your turkey season starts in March, awesome. Our turkey season in Jersey starts in the middle of April.
          How long was the beard length and spur length? What was the weight?
          Congrats!

Comment

Congrats deer30! You get that at Redlands?

Comment

Nice tom! We've heard a good number of birds, but they're flying off the roost, and getting henned up. Haven't blown mine down yet, but I will soon enough! Good hunting!

Comment

Yeah Bioguy, Redlands WMA in the burn. they did a prescribed burn about 3 weeks ago and burned off just about all the SkullS Shoals area supposedly it was 3,800 acres but it looks like more than that.

The bird's stats were 9.5" beard, 1" spurs, and it weighed 21 lbs

Comment

Thanks to all by the way. This as well as all of our birds are easterns.

GA hunter - do you hunt public or pvt lands?

Comment

nice bird....got my first of the year this opening morning in TN., 9.5" beard and 1" spurs

Comment

awesome! congrats!

Comment

I hunt on several different pieces of private land. I'm not too far from Redlands!

Comment

A half mile down the road from my home, there is a dry creek that's heavily wooded.
                          Every morning, I step outside about 7am and a tom is lighting up the world, gobbling his head off.
                          This afternoon about 6pm, I decided I'd go put him to roost because season opens next Sat. (Apr 6th) I crossed the creek to my deer stand, killed the atv and let things get quiet. I hit a five note yelp run and waited. No response. Another call sequence and still no response. I headed back the way I came, crossed the creek (gully!) again and drove to a dry pond to park. Nope! You can see the atv from the road, I'll park behind the dam.
                          As I rounded the toe of the dam, I spotted a tom heading to my stand location, looking for the hen that was no longer there. I turned and drove back home! Maybe he'll still be there next Sat! LOL!

Comment

The birds here in southern OK are Rios, but we're close enough to eastern OK,we get a trace of cross, "occasionally. I've killed only one tom whose tail feathers were a bit darker than a true Rio.

So far, my best bird was 23#, 1" broomed spurs and two beards, one 9.5" and one 5"
                            Best "hooks" are 1.25" and needle sharp. Best beard is 11.5".
                            I haven't taken a bird over 23 pounds.

Comment

To take a strutting, gobbling turkey, one on one is no small feat Congrats to all who have taken birds "honestly"!

BTW! I've taken one bearded hen.
                              I'd just about pass on a "Booner" buck to see a tom strutt and hear him gobble. "THAT" adrenaline rush is without equal!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by PigHunter
                                I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                                Today, 02:16 PM
                              • Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                                Today, 12:21 PM
                              • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                                by fitch270
                                I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                                Today, 01:40 PM
                              • 300 yard .22lr
                                by jhjimbo
                                Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                                Today, 11:28 AM
                              • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                                by jhjimbo
                                I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                                Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X