Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok so I am hunting in central Alabama. We have been hunting Turkies 3 or 4 days in a row and all we have seen is 3 hens (that we

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok so I am hunting in central Alabama. We have been hunting Turkies 3 or 4 days in a row and all we have seen is 3 hens (that we

Ok so I am hunting in central Alabama. We have been hunting Turkies 3 or 4 days in a row and all we have seen is 3 hens (that we jumped). During the fall there was a TON of them in here, I mean you'd see em every time you came out: earlier before the season we put corn out (for scouting, were not hunting over it) and its still there. After scouting we jumped 3 hens near the corn, and that is the only sign we have had this whole time. We just can't figure out what to do or where they went. Any tips? In the fall they were eating the acorns off the ground, but now they've just disappeared. Does anyone know where they would move to or what there feeding on now?

If you can't find sign, j turds, scratchings, you have to be in the woods at dusk and listen for where they roost. Take a position in the AM 100 yds from where they roost and start some calling.

Comment

Same thing has happened on my ground in SW AL. They have virtually disappeared. I killed the only one I've heard gobble and called up a second one blind, but I'm seeing no tracks, droppings or frightened birds flying away as I go through the woods. Don't know where they went. I've hunted hills, creek bottoms, fields and even checked under the back porch. Guess I'd better be thankful for the ones I got and hope they show up again as spring strengthens---it's running a little late this year.

Comment

The first part of the season is usually rough here in GA, but around the middle of April the birds will start being more cooperative. Around the middle of April the hens will start nesting, which means the hens will leave the gobblers. When this happens gobblers will be lonely, and will start looking for other hens. Be patient, last season I went 2 weeks without hearing a single bird, then it was like somebody flipped a switch, and the turkeys went wild!

Comment

I went back out after I posted at breakfast this morning and found the first fresh tracks and poop I've seen in a week, then this afternoon busted into three gobblers as I was walking out a woods road (they had ignored my calls from a short time earlier, as normal). Here we go---turkey time. Can't wait for gobbling time in the morning.

Comment

Thanks guys! We saw two today. Didn't get shots. But we did see two beuatiful red foxes, one of witch I killed!

Comment

Thanks guys! We saw two today. Didn't get shots. But we did see two beuatiful red foxes, one of witch I killed!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad