Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On 3 different mornings, I got within 100 yards of where a large turkey was roosting, just inside the woods from a field edge. T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On 3 different mornings, I got within 100 yards of where a large turkey was roosting, just inside the woods from a field edge. T

On 3 different mornings, I got within 100 yards of where a large turkey was roosting, just inside the woods from a field edge. The first morning, there were two deer in the woods by where I snuck in, and they smelled me and scared away the turkey. The second day, a real hen called off the gobbler. The third, it just didn't happen. What should I have done?

You should have carried a better rabbit's foot. You didn't do anything wrong, you just had bad luck. At last count, there were over 49,000 things that can go wrong on a turkey hunt and the list continues to grow.

Comment

Mike, you don't need to be super close to turkeys roosting in the trees. You can set up two hundred yards away and call them in with your hen call. I have seen turkeys flying off the roost and landing hundred and fifty yards across a field. Let them come to you.
      Good Luck!

Comment

Sounded like you just had bad luck. We have all had plenty of those days. If your state allows hunting in the afternoon i would have returned then,

Comment

Set up 100yds from where you think he is, then try to call him.

Comment

You should have not gotten discouraged and put in a fourth day. Don't over call, sometimes you have to tease them into range rather than beg them. Other days they act like their tails on fire. If you happen to set up on two gobblers without a hen present, you've got the perfect situation, IMHO. Good luck.

Comment

Some of the old-boys here do an over/nighter with a sleeping Bag near the roost,at dawn work a Crow-Call and be ready to move or stay.

Comment

An owl call just after sunset can locate the roosting birds and give you an idea where to set up come morning, get in there early and quiet. I've found that it can depend on wind direction the evening before the hunt, as far as which side of the field the turks will roost on. But talking to them the night before, or "putting them to bed" may help you reach a more attainable calling distance come morning.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad