Bernedoodle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernedoodle

Does anyone own a Bernedoodle? If so could I pick your brain about a few things?
    Attached Files

Uhhmmm.....? No.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20211121_141540.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	790319
    But I've got a couple of "Rotten"weillers.

Comment

His mother is 40 lbs. Dad is 85lbs. Both Bernedoodle, so he’s a teddy Bear Bernedoodle. He’s 25 weeks and 35lbs. Any guess of how big he will get.

Comment

A "Bernedoodle" is a cross between a poodle and what?

The male Rotty weighs about 110. The smaller female (background) runs about 90.

I dunno, maybe 60 lbs or so?

Comment

Bernise mountain dog

Comment

You have 2 big dogs so that’s a lot of dog poop. Have you ever used or seen a dog poop digester? If so did it work well?

Comment

No, I don't have a digester. They've got about 2 acres of yard so it's not a problem.

Comment

I used a dog poop digester many years ago, and it could not keep up with a male German short-haired pointer. I had to keep moving it to another spot when it maxed out.
                It might work fine for a smaller breed.

Comment

Ok. The tank I’m thinking of building it with is 60 gallons and when my dog is fully grown he should be about 60lbs.

When it was closed did you smell anything from it? I live in city so don’t want it to be a problem that way.

Did you ever add septic starter? I’ve read that that will help reduce the volume a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
                    Ok. The tank I’m thinking of building it with is 60 gallons and when my dog is fully grown he should be about 60lbs.

When it was closed did you smell anything from it? I live in city so don’t want it to be a problem that way.

Did you ever add septic starter? I’ve read that that will help reduce the volume a lot.
                    If you add anything to the tank, add yeast. Simple bread yeast will help. It aids in getting digestion started.

Not sure what to tell you about odors.

Comment

When I build it I’m going to make it so the lid is actually tightened on and has a gasket seal in the gap so it should be close to air tight. Hoping that the only time I smell anything is when I open it. Thanks for the tip on the yeast.

Comment

I got the digester put in about a week ago and so far I can’t smell a thing. I have not added any yeast or septic starter and so far the water in the bottom is below the drainage holes so I think the water is enough to liquify the poop. With each deposit I add a couple cups of water.

Has anyone had success training their dog to use one area for his potty area? If so how?
                        I’ve tried taking him on a leash and holding him there till he goes-he won’t go.
                        I’ve tried shoveling his poop to the area I want him to go-he goes everywhere else.
                        I’ve tried leaving treats-it hasn’t helped.
                        I put a big rock there for him to pee on like a fire hydrant and he smelled it and has not peed.
                        I bought a spray from the pet shop that supposedly encourages them to pee where it’s sprayed and it’s done nothing.
                        I’ve even peed in the area thinking it might help and nothing.

Please if there is anything I can do to encourage him to use 1 area I’m all ears. He has a nice big area along the house that he can use any part beyond the corner of the house.

Would putting a gate at the end and penning him in there till he goes help it or just scare him?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Having had dogs for several years, they prefer to walk around until they know it is time to do what they are there for, and that time is not always in the same spot or even the same area ! But your idea of penning him in a certain area until he has learned the reason, might do the trick, it is certainly worth an effort. Other than that, I am afraid I am not much help. Good luck, and since some people have trained cats to use the bathroom stool, it should not be too difficult to solve the dog issue.......or maybe not !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                            Having had dogs for several years, they prefer to walk around until they know it is time to do what they are there for, and that time is not always in the same spot or even the same area ! But your idea of penning him in a certain area until he has learned the reason, might do the trick, it is certainly worth an effort. Other than that, I am afraid I am not much help. Good luck, and since some people have trained cats to use the bathroom stool, it should not be too difficult to solve the dog issue.......or maybe not !
                            Thanks for your reply. I’m beginning to think that it might be easier to be diligent on shovelling than to train him to go where I want him to go. Regardless I’ll try shovelling it to that area as a last ditch effort and hope for the best. If it works awesome. If not, well I tried.

Comment

Ian,
                              I don't have a digester. I've got two Rotweillers.
                              As soon as the get up in the morning, they go to the back yard. It's small and fenced, just for them.
                              When big boy "woofs", they come in, eat and go right back outside.
                              When big boy woofs again, they come inside and I go outside and "pickup". They never go in the same place. That's why their backyard "space" is small.
                              That's their "routine".
                              Throughout the day, they will let us know if they need out.
                              In the afternoon, it's the same basic routine.
                              At +/- 9pm, they go back outside for 15 or 20 minutes.
                              Then bedtime! Click image for larger version  Name:	20211121_141540.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	796865
                              They got into it with a skunk!
                              They won a cold bath and air dry!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad