Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting with non-hunting breeds (Spam Kill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting with non-hunting breeds (Spam Kill)

Any of you guys ever try hunting with working breeds or breeds not identified as hunting breeds?

I've heard of guys hunting with German Shepherds only to have them eat a downed bird (though to be fair I've had a GSP try to do that too!)

My grampa had a collie that was a pretty good squirrel dog.

Comment

Pointing? Retrieving?

Comment

As a kid we had Greyhounds - 10 pups at one time, we kept two. We were on a Farmette and never had a coy dog problem, or even racoons. We used to take them out alongside the car for exercise. If I remember they were good for 40+mph.
        Then we had standard poodles. Terrific fighters and good bird dogs - some are used for hunting in Europe
        Greyhounds are famous for being the breed of Egyptian Pharaohs. I guess a lot of dogs got hunting jobs because of their nose.
        Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-08-2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I can believe basically any hound running down game. They use a fake rabbit for the prey drive to get them to run really fast.

I know lots of guys that use standard poodles as hunting dogs. Very trainable.

Comment

I have been working with my new pup as a squirrel/coon dog. Today is her first day out without any backup or older dogs there to lead she has to do it all today I'm so excited.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage MayDay View Post
              I have been working with my new pup as a squirrel/coon dog. Today is her first day out without any backup or older dogs there to lead she has to do it all today I'm so excited.
              Best wishes! Let us know how well she does.

Comment

Thanks sure will

Comment

Always wanted a "blue tick" hound.
                  Never had any use for one, I just like their looks! LOL!

Good luck with your dog!
                  A dog, regardless of breed, can be a wonderful companion.

Comment

My grampa had a collie that was a pretty good squirrel dog. Nox Vidmate VLC
                    Last edited by EVAKATY75; 11-13-2020, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Voter Fraud
                      by 99explorer
                      Bubba -
                      Using your line of reasoning, unless medical examiners have autopsied every single solitary death, there is absolutely no certainty that
                      Today, 06:29 PM
                    • Voter Fraud
                      by bowhunter75richard
                      For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                      11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                    • Reply to Voter Fraud
                      by FirstBubba
                      Unless Medical Examiners have autopsied every single solitary COVID-19 death, there is absolutely NO certainty that any of the 200k plus deaths can actually...
                      Today, 05:43 PM
                    • Prescribed methods of execution.
                      by 99explorer
                      I am on Trump's side with this one.

Justice Department seeks to authorize firing squad executions.

https://news.yahoo.com/j...
                      Today, 05:18 PM
                    • Reply to Trump
                      by 99explorer
                      President Trump’s decision to pardon former national security adviser Michael Flynn has fueled speculation that Trump may be gearing up to issue a wave...
                      Today, 04:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X