More Bad News....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Bad News....

My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout, has end-stage kidney disease and elevated heart enzymes. Not sure if that is connected, but vet said prognosis is weeks to months, maybe. She has been very healthy all her life but suddenly it seems she has aged overnight. We are both heartsick over the prospects of losing her so soon. She’s back at the vet for a more comprehensive evaluation today. She will hardly eat or drink anything.
    Attached Files

My heart goes out to you. As you might remember I lost Pearl to progressive kidney disease five years ago. Tough business. Take care.

Comment

Sorry to hear this WAM, my Brits will be 13 and 7 next spring so I’m getting prepared for the inevitable. Young dogs in her prime, we’d be crushed in your situation.

Best, and stay safe as well.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
        My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout, has end-stage kidney disease and elevated heart enzymes. Not sure if that is connected, but vet said prognosis is weeks to months, maybe. She has been very healthy all her life but suddenly it seems she has aged overnight. We are both heartsick over the prospects of losing her so soon. She’s back at the vet for a more comprehensive evaluation today. She will hardly eat or drink anything.
        I watch Dr. Pol on National Geographic and he treats a lot of hunting dogs. It is amazing what he can do for them. Wish you and your dog the best.

Comment

At this point in my life I look forward to the bird hunting more for the dog's sake rather than mine.

We take in these hunting companions knowing they will break our hearts some day, but it still comes out in our favor when weighed...that says volumes about being blessed by being in a dog's life.

Keep us posted, and I'll be praying for everyone on your end.
          Last edited by Amflyer; 07-19-2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Heart rending news WAM.
            My prayers are with you and her.
            God bless......

Comment

WA Mtnhunter, I am so sorry. My two dogs are my best friends. Do not know what I would do without them at my age. God Bless

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                My heart goes out to you. As you might remember I lost Pearl to progressive kidney disease five years ago. Tough business. Take care.
                I remember your ordeal with Pearl. Was it really five years ago? Time flies. How old was Pearl?

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  Sorry to hear this WAM, my Brits will be 13 and 7 next spring so I’m getting prepared for the inevitable. Young dogs in her prime, we’d be crushed in your situation.

Best, and stay safe as well.
                  Thanks, Fitch. Looks like the first season in 8 years without 2 retrievers in the field. Brave might not make his 14th season either. Sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                    At this point in my life I look forward to the bird hunting more for the dog's sake rather than mine.

We take in these hunting companions knowing they will break our hearts some day, but it still comes out in our favor when weighed...that says volumes about being blessed by being in a dog's life.

Keep us posted, and I'll be praying for everyone on your end.
                    Thanks ‘Flyer. I’m not mad about the birds so much anymore, I just like being out with the dogs. Both absolutely love it. I had hoped to gear up with a new pup and bring it up with Scout. Braveheart's disposition is too bad for a puppy nowadays. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      Heart rending news WAM.
                      My prayers are with you and her.
                      God bless......
                      Thanks, Bubba. That means a lot to me. 😎

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                        WA Mtnhunter, I am so sorry. My two dogs are my best friends. Do not know what I would do without them at my age. God Bless
                        Thanks, Happy. I know what you mean. Both of them leap from a nap if they see me pick up a hat or rattle truck keys. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

I remember your ordeal with Pearl. Was it really five years ago? Time flies. How old was Pearl?
                          Pearl was only ten. Even at the end it was hard to believe anything could take her. She recovered from a fractured skull after being run over at just eleven months. Then snake bite in Montana. Then glioma brain cancer. Recovering 100% from that was literally unheard of. A year and a half later we almost lost her to autoimmune disease. That's when we discovered the kidney disease. Pearl died March 6, 2015 and Ellie was born one week later.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear this WAM, it is so hard to see your companion fall ill like that and no matter what your efforts you can’t help enough to save them. Labs are special , anyone who has ever had a lab knows what I’m saying . My heart goes out to you.

Comment

So sorry to hear about this WAM. I know how much a good dog means to an avid hunter like you. I am still mourning the loss of my best black lab ever back in 1966. Please remember all the happy memories and comfort her all you can. My best to you and to Scout.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another Weirdo in the Woods
                                by 99explorer
                                You may be the victim of an infrasonic attack (ELF attack)!

See comment #41.
                                Today, 11:23 PM
                              • Another Weirdo in the Woods
                                by MattM37
                                While hiking Saturday evening, I met a fella who was out distributing the devices he makes to counteract all the harmful and mind-controlling electromagnetic...
                                06-14-2021, 01:42 PM
                              • Reply to Quality axe
                                by Milldawg
                                I’ve done that before myself. But I used a Ford ranger. Back in my younger days....
                                Today, 10:43 PM
                              • Quality axe
                                by Milldawg
                                Gave up on the camp knife. And did a little more research. I figure I got three grandsons. So I might as well buy a good quality hatchet, camp axe and...
                                05-25-2021, 10:36 PM
                              • Reply to Quality axe
                                by Milldawg
                                I also bought a 29.00 splitting mail from Walmart. We see how it works this weekend also. My wife is none to happy with spending 500 bucks on two axes....
                                Today, 10:42 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X