X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How so OH?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
      Sorry you're going thru that. Hope it works out alright.

I'm sure you can use your PC, but this seemed like a good write up:
      https://vetmed.umn.edu/research/labs...g%20has%20EIC.

I'm sorry to say but my first thought was heart worm or red fiber disease, but neither of those really fit here, so that's a good sign. If your pup wants to play and exercise and isn't lethargic, it's probably not a sign of a heart condition.

I'd look at the section about differentiating it from other similar conditions, you might want to try what you can to see if you personally can eliminate some of these other possibilities. I'd say start with Hyperthermia first. If your pup is breathing too fast and hard or her body temp is too high you'd have pretty good evidence.

I say trust your gut on the vet. How hard would it be to ask you to run your pup out for 15-20min? The vet could have seen another animal while she let you go out back for fetch with the pup and worked her out for 15-20min to see if it induced another episode. Though to be fair to the vet, he/she might think it's a type of epilepsy.
      https://vetmed.umn.edu/research/labs...mal-dyskinesia

If it does turn out to be a form of epilepsy, CBD has been shown to reduce or eliminate symptoms very well in dogs. If the symptoms get worse, you might try buying a small bottle and giving her a couple of droppers full to see if she improves any. Be careful when purchasing, lots of shysters out there trying to pass-off hemp oil as CBD. They're not the same, and I don't want you to waste your money.
      We had a poodle that had epilepsy, I grabbed her tongue during an episode so she would not swallow it and don't do that. She bit me. Anyway I think the drug at the time was Phenobarbital.

Comment

Buckeroo, When I was in the Middle East we had a small 25 bed NATO Hospital downtown. The guard dogs that stood guard over the planes with nuclear weapons came right in the Hospital exam rooms for their physical every 6 months. Heart worms were the big parasite concern.
        The dogs would sound a alarm for a human but when the jackal's came around they did not alarm. How did they know ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

We had a poodle that had epilepsy, I grabbed her tongue during an episode so she would not swallow it and don't do that. She bit me. Anyway I think the drug at the time was Phenobarbital.
          Yeah definitely don't grab their mouth when their seizing. I'm not even sure what the best way to dose a dogger with CBD is. I was thinking a dropper with a treat, but it'd have to be a daily regimen type delivery method. Maybe a gummy.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            Buckeroo, When I was in the Middle East we had a small 25 bed NATO Hospital downtown. The guard dogs that stood guard over the planes with nuclear weapons came right in the Hospital exam rooms for their physical every 6 months. Heart worms were the big parasite concern.
            The dogs would sound a alarm for a human but when the jackal's came around they did not alarm. How did they know ?
            No Clue. Best I could guess is things on 4 legs sound different than things on 2. I don't know how they know, but I've known a few working dogs that could herd several different species on a voice command.

Comment

How so OH?
              Kinda smells of the phony family history genetic testing scams currently ripping people off. Not very often that a genetics lab sells their services directly to consumers. Usually it's through medical treatment facilities or law firms that are regulated (albeit loosely for animals).

Comment

Yeah definitely don't grab their mouth when their seizing. I'm not even sure what the best way to dose a dogger with CBD is. I was thinking a dropper with a treat, but it'd have to be a daily regimen type delivery method. Maybe a gummy.
                Peanut butter, buckshott00.
                A huge percentage of dogs LOVE peanut butter.
                That's how I give my rotty all his meds. You could smear a marble sized blob on a VW and he'd try to swallow it whole! LOL!

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0891.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	737799

Comment

I could see Peanut butter. Trouble is CBD by itself is a little bit bitter. But I could see coating a little peanut butter glob with it in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Kinda smells of the phony family history genetic testing scams currently ripping people off. Not very often that a genetics lab sells their services directly to consumers. Usually it's through medical treatment facilities or law firms that are regulated (albeit loosely for animals).
                    We're living in a new age of DNA testing. If it gives you a bit of piece of mind, University services offer the testing usually at about the same prices. The company might even be doing the testing thru the university labs!!
                    https://vgl.ucdavis.edu/test/exercise-induced-collapse
                    https://www.vdl.umn.edu/services-fee...romuscular-eic
                    https://www.ofa.org/diseases/dna-tested-diseases

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Peanut butter, buckshott00.
                      A huge percentage of dogs LOVE peanut butter.
                      That's how I give my rotty all his meds. You could smear a marble sized blob on a VW and he'd try to swallow it whole! LOL!

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0891.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	737799
                      A great technique I think, I will definitely use it

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher244 View Post

A great technique I think, I will definitely use it
                        My dogs get hung up with the stickiness of peanut butter. They work the stuff around in their mouths for several minutes. Very funny to watch. Not sure that would work well for meds. Not for my dogs.

Here's a method that has always worked for me. Wrap the pill in a piece of cheese or hotdog. And get a second piece of same bait ready. Have the pill piece in one hand and decoy piece in the other. Give the dog the piece with pill and have the second one right next to its nose. Called greasing the skids. The dog will gulp the first one in anticipation that you might withdraw the second piece. Gotta get it before it gets away! Use their greed against them.

Comment

The "trick", Honk, it to bury the pill in a glob a bit bigger than the pill on a spoon.
                          The glob goes deep in the mouth and then allow them to lick the spoon.
                          Works every time.
                          My two Rotty's will sit on the floor, licking there chops for a couple of minutes.
                          I suppose there could be dogs out there with nut allergies, but it sure doesn't affect my Rotties ... other than feed their addiction to peanut butter. 😃

Comment

Honker's trick works for me, but I use three pieces, the second one "loaded."

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad