Dog breeds to avoid for adoption.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog breeds to avoid for adoption.

Here is an interesting article that seems a bit heavy on opinion.

https://www.reference.com/slideshow/..._SAFE&o=777343

Last edited by 99explorer; 05-31-2020, 11:46 PM.

Sorry any article with that many Clicks for "Next Page" is click-bait looking to sell loose content in hopes of getting clicks.

Are there dogs that are fine in some households but not others... of course. I wouldn't own an akita/malamute/husky around kids and I would watch all hunting breeds closely, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't own that type of dog period.

My experience, many gun dogs / hunting dogs, don't realize little kids are actually little. Big Labs, Weimers, etc. They play rough without knowing they're playing rough; and no one wants to see their kid hurt.

Comment

Bucky -
      I didn't know that the multi-click articles were a sales gimmick.
      Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
        Sorry any article with that many Clicks for "Next Page" is click-bait looking to sell loose content in hopes of getting clicks.

Are there dogs that are fine in some households but not others... of course. I wouldn't own an akita/malamute/husky around kids and I would watch all hunting breeds closely, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't own that type of dog period.

My experience, many gun dogs / hunting dogs, don't realize little kids are actually little. Big Labs, Weimers, etc. They play rough without knowing they're playing rough; and no one wants to see their kid hurt.
        Actually it has been my experience that hunting dogs are exceptionally gentle around little kids. My first Lab didn't care for them at all. She would simply stay out of their way. The rest of my dogs have been exceedingly careful around infants. Except Ellie. She was actually frightened of baby Ava. But now that she's sitting up on her own and starting to take assisted steps, Ellie is warming up and in her face when we go over. That little thing is starting to act like a human now. Ellie loves seven year-old Parker to bits and though she might knock me over sometimes, she is very careful with him. Close enough to give him tons of kisses but never pushy.

Most animals know enough to exercise caution with kids. I vividly remember how gentle my horses were when my first daughter was just walking and disappeared one morning into the pasture. There she was in a diaper wrapped around Duchess's hind leg. That pack horse damn near crippled me once but she wouldn't move till I came out and scooped up Holly. Then there was the time when I was shoeing the other horse and another colt in the rented pasture came after Holly. I heard her scream but by the time I could get in view Duchess was tearing after that POS Arab with her teeth bared. She kicked the sh*t out of that spoiled brat. We have 8mm home movies of my youngest brother barely walking in 1958 and trying to climb on our burro when she was taking a dust bath. That old gal would get up as slowly as possible but Phill would still tumble off and cry. Rosie would put her nose to his then she'd lay right down and let him try again. Over and over. But let one of us older kids get on her back and she would head for the nearest tree to brush us off.

Comment

Mileage must vary OH, My labs have all been bruisers all well behaved but they'd start playing and not realize that bowling smaller folks over was not a good thing, or have their big ol' rudder of a tail come up and wack someone excitedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
            Mileage must vary OH, My labs have all been bruisers all well behaved but they'd start playing and not realize that bowling smaller folks over was not a good thing, or have their big ol' rudder of a tail come up and wack someone excitedly.
            May be a gender thing. My dogs have always been girls.

Comment

That makes all the sense in the world to me, my girl dogs have always been more gentle and tender.

Comment

Are there dogs that are fine in some households but not others... of course. I wouldn't own an akita/malamute/husky around kids and I would watch all hunting breeds closely, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't own that type of dog period. Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin
                Last edited by EVAKATY75; 10-10-2020, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad