English or American?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
    On the subject of color, I think it warrants consideration in a field dog, as it relates to visibility.
    My Brittany was much easier to keep in sight than either of my two liver-colored GSP's.
    That depends on the dog as much if not more than the breed. A yellow Lab is highly visible but a chocolate one not so much. Definitely not a breed specific thing. Half of my current black Lab's littermates were black and half chocolate. Her mom and grandmother were yellow and her dad was black. Ellie's predecessor Pearl came from a long line of chocolates on her mother's side bred to a yellow father. All the pups were black.

Brittanys are not always splashed with bright white. Several of Puppy's littermates were very similar in colouration to a typical GSP. Given their small size I wanted a Britt with a lot of white for field visibility. Fortunately it seems novelty is a selling point these days. I got what was left over in the litter, a beautiful evenly mixed tr-colour, after the other almost solid liver coloured pups were taken. Go figure.

English setters also can have a lot of colour variation. Some are very bright and some are so mottled they are almost solid dark coulour. Springers and English pointers seem to be more consistent in hi viz white colouration. Griffon and GWP are of course consistently devoid of it. Much harder to keep track of them in heavy cover. I have hunted over one of each and both wore beepers. Ugh! I don't want to shoot birds so badly that I'd put up with that racket on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 05-23-2020, 04:35 PM.

Comment

My dogs wore blaze orange collars with bells on them.
      I liked the sound of the bells when the dogs were completely out of sight.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
        My dogs wore blaze orange collars with bells on them.
        I liked the sound of the bells when the dogs were completely out of sight.
        For birds that don't run (e.g. grouse) bells work okay. But pheasants not so much, especially late in the season. They will run and jump. Very difficult to get a shot even over a good pointing dog. Pretty much hopeless behind a flushing dog. When the dogs are in thick cover it will be difficult to get a shot anyway. Just as well get yourself in a good spot, be quiet, and hope that when the bird finally is flushed or decides to leave, it will come out where a shot presents itself. Sometimes that teaches pointing dogs bad habits so use your own judgement. If you're worried about that, keep the dog out of those situations. Yes, I often can't tell where the dogs are (and neither can the birds till it's too late) so I will simply bump from one open spot to the next until the dogs are through working the thick junk. Don't very often get a shot but fairly frequently the bird lands in a more open spot where a better opportunity will present itself. And I'm in a better position to see where they land than I would be buried in the cover.

Another reason I don't like bells or dangling dog tags is they get hung up on stuff. Puppy once tore a toenail when scratching a sleigh bell. Hunting in snow you just as well pull the bell off because the clapper will get iced up and stop working.
        Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 05-23-2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wildebeest rug
          by Happy Myles
          Many fine eating animals are found in Africa, including Springbuck. Gerenuk is among my favorites along with Lesser kudu. As a matter of fact, all the...
          Today, 01:51 PM
        • Wildebeest rug
          by Ontario Honker Hunter
          My daughter put in the request for wildebeest hide for my safari last year. Her man wasn't particularly crazy about it so I brought it home last week....
          06-04-2020, 07:59 PM
        • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
          by Buckshott00
          "at what point is it quenched?"
          When it turns to looting and burning. No one is questioning that BHR. What I'm asking you to realize...
          Today, 01:35 PM
        • Jackbooted Thugs
          by Buckshott00
          I know tensions are high. I know there's a curfew in effect, but...

If you fire (even pepper / paintball rounds) at someone on their porch...
          06-01-2020, 02:37 AM
        • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
          by Buckshott00
          We can agree on all those things or none of them. The beauty of love our country is that even if you accept the current Pres. anyone can still disagree...
          Today, 01:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X