F&S photo story on hunting dogs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F&S photo story on hunting dogs.

Check out the photo piece on dogs in the latest F&S issue. One image of the young hunter carrying his fourteen year-old Lab to shore is worth a million. The old girl's hips were shot and couldn't negotiate the muddy shallows so he waded out and picked her up. She's looking right at the photographer, greenhead still held fast in her grizzled jaws. Her man has head turned away but the trace of a tear is shining on his cheek. He knows it will be her last bird. Beautiful image ... but tough to look at. What a keepsake for him.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 03-06-2020, 11:02 AM.

Yes, those final season photos are the ones to cherish.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearl's last geese 2015.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	726443
    Pearl's last geese five years ago. Note the patches of skin missing on her front legs from IVs. She was battling autoimmune issues and kidney disease.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Opal 2018.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	726444
    One of Opal's last birds 2018. Cancer took her following spring.

Comment

That is very moving.
      Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I saw that pic in the magazine but yours did not post.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          I saw that pic in the magazine but yours did not post.
          Not sure what is the problem. I'm looking at them on my screen. I've had same problem viewing images others post. Anyway I'm sure you have seen those pics before: Pearl giving me a kiss as I bend over loaded with ten honkers and a snow; Opal laying in the grass looking right into camera with a big rooster at her feet. I had to go into Happy's profile to see the images he posted of buffs that I couldn't see in his thread. Maybe try that.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_17083.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	729588 The old boy Brave on his 13th birthday this week! Dirty nose from digging for ground squirrels.
            Last edited by WA Mtnhunter; 04-12-2020, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
              Click image for larger version Name:	image_17083.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	729588 The old boy Brave on his 13th birthday this week! Dirty nose from digging for ground squirrels.
              He looks very fit. Especially for thirteen.

Comment

His back end losing horsepower and elbows going south, but still going!

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                  His back end losing horsepower and elbows going south, but still going!
                  My older Brit just turned 12, she's losing her bounce but loving life as well.

Comment

There comes a time when old dogs should just stay by the fireplace. It is hard for both dog and human to admit this fact, but it is certainly in the best interest of the dog.
                    Old dogs always have a special place in my heart. The memories we have made together are indeed priceless. I have had many who would die for one more bird. Thank God for giving me the sense not to let that happen...

Comment

Originally posted by OG4283 View Post
                      There comes a time when old dogs should just stay by the fireplace. It is hard for both dog and human to admit this fact, but it is certainly in the best interest of the dog.
                      Old dogs always have a special place in my heart. The memories we have made together are indeed priceless. I have had many who would die for one more bird. Thank God for giving me the sense not to let that happen...
                      I presume you are referring to the photo of the old Lab carried to shore. For a hunting dog life is about being in the field with her guy. An old dog will tell you when she's had enough. Been there. That old gal in the photo was still hanging onto her bird. She was still enjoying herself. It was probably not painless but she was undoubtedly happier than she would have been laying by the fire. The writer made it clear the hunters knew her days were numbered ... likely in single digits. They wanted to give her one last time doing what she loved before her owner had to do what he dreaded. A very special gift.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wildebeest rug
                        by Happy Myles
                        Many fine eating animals are found in Africa, including Springbuck. Gerenuk is among my favorites along with Lesser kudu. As a matter of fact, all the...
                        Today, 01:51 PM
                      • Wildebeest rug
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        My daughter put in the request for wildebeest hide for my safari last year. Her man wasn't particularly crazy about it so I brought it home last week....
                        06-04-2020, 07:59 PM
                      • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                        by Buckshott00
                        "at what point is it quenched?"
                        When it turns to looting and burning. No one is questioning that BHR. What I'm asking you to realize...
                        Today, 01:35 PM
                      • Jackbooted Thugs
                        by Buckshott00
                        I know tensions are high. I know there's a curfew in effect, but...

If you fire (even pepper / paintball rounds) at someone on their porch...
                        06-01-2020, 02:37 AM
                      • Reply to Jackbooted Thugs
                        by Buckshott00
                        We can agree on all those things or none of them. The beauty of love our country is that even if you accept the current Pres. anyone can still disagree...
                        Today, 01:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X