Thinking about a deer tracking dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a deer tracking dog

And if it doesn't work out, at least have a neat little buddy.
    Been looking around and was watching some European boar hunting vids........
    saw a cool little dude.

Didn't know what he was, but did a bit of digging.........and then found a vid of one

Enjoy

When growing up, our best tracking dog was a beagle mix, great nose.

My brother has an Australian Shepherd that's the best I've seen at the task. The word is out about the dog's abilities and my brother gets many requests for tracking during hunting season. His dog is very intelligent but definitely a one-person type and seems to need lots of exercise.

Apparently, the wirehaired dachshund is a very popular breed also for tracking. Here's an interesting article about the topic
    http://deersearch.org/using-dogs-to-track-wounded-deer/

Comment

Most of the outfitters in Africa use Jack Russell terriers or a similar crossbreed. They are great dogs for following the scent and barking only when they find the animal down. Very agile and able to avoid angry horns. Many of hound breeds are too noisy and too large. Deer just keep running from them. Little terriers are less imposing I guess and wounded game is more inclined to stand its ground till hunter gets there and finishes the job. Venison is not so good if the animal has been heated up.

Personally, I don't want one of the Jack Russell dogs in the neighborhood let alone own one. Too gawdam noisy. Usually pretty bullheaded too. But they seem to work in Africa.

For a laugh go on line and watch the videos of black mouth curs hunting pigs. They get the hogs by the ears and hang on. Big sport is to stick a knife in one while the dogs have it subdued by the ears. Not for me!

Comment

Learn to shute more gooder!
        Love my dog (Rottweiler) but I can't find people to watch him.if I need to go out of town.
        He's a 120 pound teddy bear. Everybody looks at him like he's a drizzly

Comment

Like I've said before, I want no pets, not even a goldfish. Took care of animals most of my life, been there, done that.

But, if I were to get a dog, it would be a Black Mouth Cur and I'd train it for squirrel hunting.

Comment

If i get the dog the ol lady, kids and their pets can leave

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              Like I've said before, I want no pets, not even a goldfish. Took care of animals most of my life, been there, done that.

But, if I were to get a dog, it would be a Black Mouth Cur and I'd train it for squirrel hunting.
              Awesome dogs pighunter!

Comment

Hunting pigs with dogs is considered inhumane in civilized cultures.

https://kb.rspca.org.au/knowledge-ba...nt-feral-pigs/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad