X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Originally posted by springerman3 View Post
    WAM: hope everything turns out ok, will keep Braveheart in our special thoughts.
    He’s much improved tonight but still a sick boy. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
    All the best with your dog WAM, been down that road too many times without knowing how you are feeling !
    Thanks! I appreciate that.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

He got out of the yard and ate a bunch of scraps at the neighbors, I think. The blockage seems to have passed looking at the X-ray, so we dodged the surgery bullet. I brought him home from the vet last night but he is still a sick pup. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Glad to hear that blockage passed. Hope he continues to recover. Ellie was in tough shape for almost five days. Started getting sick on Saturday, couldn't get her in to vet till Monday, and then Tuesday night almost lost her. She couldn't stand up. Got her to on call vet and she started to snap out of it in the office. By Wednesday afternoon Ellie was pretty much back to normal. Not a lot they could do but feed her antibiotics and hope she took care of it herself.

Keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    All the best with your dog WAM, been down that road too many times without knowing how you are feeling !

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Sorry to hear that. I almost lost Ellie to pancreatitis/colitis last summer. That was scary! She's doing great now. Wouldn't touch the fancy canned dog food the vet prescribed for her afterwards (and this dog will eat ANYTHING). I put her on the low fat (well, lower fat) Iams dry stuff (in the blue bag) and she seems to thrive. Puppy eats it too. I also have probiotic supplement to sprinkle on her food but often forget about it. I will be much more careful in the spring when snow clears out. Figure she picked up the bacteria digging in the yard. I understand seashores are very bad for it too. Were you hunting salt flats?

Hope that blockage is nothing serious. Keep me posted. I'll be thinking of you.
    He got out of the yard and ate a bunch of scraps at the neighbors, I think. The blockage seems to have passed looking at the X-ray, so we dodged the surgery bullet. I brought him home from the vet last night but he is still a sick pup. Thanks for your thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• springerman3
    replied
    WAM: hope everything turns out ok, will keep Braveheart in our special thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied

Braveheart is in the veterinary hospital with acute pancreatitis. About 50/50. He also has some sort of partial intestinal blockage which is very concerning. If he makes it another day or two, he’ll probably be good for a while. Retrieved 2 geese Sunday in a snow storm now this....
    Sorry to hear that. I almost lost Ellie to pancreatitis/colitis last summer. That was scary! She's doing great now. Wouldn't touch the fancy canned dog food the vet prescribed for her afterwards (and this dog will eat ANYTHING). I put her on the low fat (well, lower fat) Iams dry stuff (in the blue bag) and she seems to thrive. Puppy eats it too. I also have probiotic supplement to sprinkle on her food but often forget about it. I will be much more careful in the spring when snow clears out. Figure she picked up the bacteria digging in the yard. I understand seashores are very bad for it too. Were you hunting salt flats?

Hope that blockage is nothing serious. Keep me posted. I'll be thinking of you.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied

Thanks. How's your old fella holding up?
    Braveheart is in the veterinary hospital with acute pancreatitis. About 50/50. He also has some sort of partial intestinal blockage which is very concerning. If he makes it another day or two, he’ll probably be good for a while. Retrieved 2 geese Sunday in a snow storm now this....

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied

Well, not too sporty of late. He is suffering from laryngeal paralysis and the onset of neurological deterioration manifesting is loss of muscle in the hind end. He does ok when it’s cooler than 70F. He can still go a mile and a half when it’s cooler. It takes him a while to cool down due to the obstructed breathing. He pointed and flushed 4 grouse last week in E. WA! So he still has the “want to”! I doubt we’ll do the September early goose since it’s usually pretty warm. Sadly, I think this will be his last season in the field if he makes it that long. The little girl is in her prime at 7 yo. Happy Trails

Leave a comment:

• bowhunter75richard
    replied
    We certainly have our differences 99, but your above post, photo and it’s words brought an instant tear !!

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    Sad to hear of your loss , Honk! You’re in my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Sorry to hear about Opal passing. She will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge. Happy Trails

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Sorry to hear about Opal passing. She will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge. Happy Trails

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I once had a very good short-haired pointer that came down with epilepsy, and had an occasional grand mal seizure while hunting in the field.
    For reasons I won't go into here, I found it necessary one day to euthanize him there in one of our pheasant covers in the back field.
    Now, whenever I look at that shotgun, all I remember is that it was the gun I used to put my buddy Schuyler to sleep.
    Your memorial brought back sad memories for me.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Do I Know ???
    by jhjimbo
    You are smoking some bad weed.
    Today, 03:42 AM
  • How Do I Know ???
    by jhjimbo
    How do I decide who to vote for in the November Election ? Easy, just look around at the squalor in the Cities that have been controlled (raped) by...
    Yesterday, 12:03 PM
    by 99explorer
    To answer Rock Rat's question, I would say that Joe Biden would be the least objectionable candidate of the Democratic group.
    In fact, he is the
    Yesterday, 11:55 PM
    by 99explorer
    I'll say this for Rock Rat - I may not agree with him, but he has done a very thorough analysis, and has thought things through, which is more than I...
    Yesterday, 11:32 PM
    by jhjimbo
    Rat, You are way off on your characterization of the candidates. In answer to your question there is not one I consider right for the Country at this...
    Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X